Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

A message that bears repeating

This has been a very hot topic on my Facebook the last week, as this happened in La Crosse, WI.

A local newswoman received an email from a local lawyer. That message follows.

Quote:
Hi Jennifer
It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.
Her response kicks serious butt and what a wonderful role model she is.

http://video.news8000.com/watch.php?id=36335
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Good for her. What evil little swamp insect thinks it is okay to send her a letter like that? Her response was spot on!

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Guy was a moron. It was a private email. You hit delete an move on. News should not be about personal issues with viewers. She gave this clown 15 minutes of fame. I'm all for a story about bullying, but I don't think this was the appropriate way to do it.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Good for her. What evil little swamp insect thinks it is okay to send her a letter like that? Her response was spot on!
Oh, what's better is the guy is a local lawyer.

Idiot.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Sadie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

I have to say that was a great response. And I also would like to say that I am impressed by that station keeping her employed. Local news is so cut-throat and so focused on youth (except in the case of men), beauty, image, etc. Most new stations would throw her resume right in the trash. So good for her and her response and good for that station's management for not getting caught up in the certain image crap.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Guy was a moron. It was a private email. You hit delete an move on. News should not be about personal issues with viewers. She gave this clown 15 minutes of fame. I'm all for a story about bullying, but I don't think this was the appropriate way to do it.
Actually, if it would have been left up to her, that is probably what would have happened.

But, her husband, out of love for his wife, wanted to defend her against this baseless attack on his wife's appearance and posted it to his Facebook, and from there, the support for her was overwhelming.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I have to say that was a great response. And I also would like to say that I am impressed by that station keeping her employed. Local news is so cut-throat and so focused on youth (except in the case of men), beauty, image, etc. Most new stations would throw her resume right in the trash. So good for her and her response and good for that station's management for not getting caught up in the certain image crap.
She's been there for over 15 years.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Hope his name is known all over town and his business goes down in flames.

He is doing nothing but promoting that image that you have to be thin to be pretty or liked. That she is not good enough to be on the news because she is overweight. Who made him judge and jury? Glad he got blasted on the news and apparently all over facebook.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
I agree.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Hope his name is known all over town and his business goes down in flames.

He is doing nothing but promoting that image that you have to be thin to be pretty or liked. That she is not good enough to be on the news because she is overweight. Who made him judge and jury? Glad he got blasted on the news and apparently all over facebook.
As far as I know, his name has not been released, unfortunately.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
LisaR

Quote:
I do see what you are saying, but I do think the only way a bully (or an idiot) has any chance of stopping is if they are called out on it. Some people go through life as bullies and truly don't even realize what they are doing. This guy may have viewed the email as a polite way of calling her out on her weight. Maybe he didn't see it as hurtful since he didn't use derogatory words. I'm guessing he is rocking in a corner now hoping his name doesn't come out in all of this and maybe, just maybe, he will understand why what he said was wrong.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
When you are sending an email to a public figure at her workplace it's not a private email. I don't see anything inappropriate with the response or the way she handled the email. People like that need to be called out.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
When you are sending an email to a public figure at her workplace it's not a private email. I don't see anything inappropriate with the response or the way she handled the email. People like that need to be called out.
Yup, you want to be an *******, you better own it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
As far as I know, his name has not been released, unfortunately.
Nor should it, in my opinion. This guy is a moron, BUT he could be a very good lawyer and provide a very good service to many people. He could have a family he is supporting. No reason to drag his name through the mud and impact his business. Again, it was a private email and had no business being put on Facebook or the news. I am all for a husband standing up for a wife, but publically putting it out there that some insignificant nobody called her fat is a stupid way to stand up for someone. Again, just my opinion.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: