Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Buying a replacement cell phone

My son's phone crapped out, and we want to get him a new one today. He doesn't have a contract - just added as an extra line on our Verizon plan. Since he's only 12 (and has an iPod for fun stuff) we just want a basic phone that he can call and text with, no data. Anyplace we can just buy a phone, say for under $50, and have it activated thru Verizon? The ones on their site are hundreds of $$ withour a new plan. Thanks!
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I got dd16 a cheap $100 basic phone off of ebay a few years back (one of the free ones at verizon when you sign up).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
My son's phone crapped out, and we want to get him a new one today. He doesn't have a contract - just added as an extra line on our Verizon plan. Since he's only 12 (and has an iPod for fun stuff) we just want a basic phone that he can call and text with, no data. Anyplace we can just buy a phone, say for under $50, and have it activated thru Verizon? The ones on their site are hundreds of $$ withour a new plan. Thanks!
I have ATT so I can just pop out the SIM card.

With Verizon, you have to "activate" the phone as there is no SIM card, so I am guessing you have to pay for activation? Someone with Verizon can comment on that.

That being said, you can go to Radio Shack, Best Buy, WalMart, Target, etc...and look at 'Verizon phones'.

Once you find one you like then you hunt THAT down for the cheapest price.

Surprisingly Radio Shack has REALLY gotten in to the wireless market. A quarter of their store is dedicated to phones & phone stuff.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
WDGPCFR
WDGPCFR

I don't know how much the extra line is but look at Tracfone. We use those for us and our daughter. We got our son an ATT Go phone which gets him some minutes but unlimited texting for $25 a month.
WDGPCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
OurMinnieFamily
Mouseketeer

I work for vzw corp. No activation fee on pre-existing line. If you don't want a 2 year contract try. Craig's list always someone selling one there.

FYI- any store that sells the phones would still need the contact renewal and and no prepaid Verizon phone can be used on a postpaid acct UNLESS it was already activated as prepaid for 6 months or more.
OurMinnieFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

There are places online you can buy a phone, or you can just go to ebay.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses. I'm either going to try eBay or just head to the Verizon store and see what they have or try Radio Shack and Best Buy. Really wanted to get a phone free and clear today, but it seems like ordering one online is the only way to do that. Wish we hadn't recycled our old ones!
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm either going to try eBay or just head to the Verizon store and see what they have or try Radio Shack and Best Buy. Really wanted to get a phone free and clear today, but it seems like ordering one online is the only way to do that. Wish we hadn't recycled our old ones!
We always keep at least a couple of old phones on hand for this reason, and we always seem to end up using them. It's usually not cheap to replace a lost or broken phone on a contracted plan.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
leight
Making out in the halls in high school was a necessity

You might also want to ask friends,family and neighbors if they have an old verizon phone hanging around. We keep our old ones so if something happens to one we have another to hook up until the contract allows us the trade up. Other than for dh's Iphone- we don't pay for insurance because of this.

Good luck!

dhmedd13dd 112.59
leight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep. My sister just gave us one of her old ones to use. We keep ours until they are "dead". So I second asking around to family.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He doesn't have a contract - just added as an extra line on our Verizon plan.
We have AT&T, but even our added lines are eligible for phone upgrades. I would check with Verizon before you go buy a phone on your own. He may very well be eligible for a discounted phone through them.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why do you say he has no contract? Extra lines are under the same plan as the main account. We do a family thing with my parents and we are simply an added line as well but we are eligible for upgrades and my friend and a friend of his share a plan and the extra line is under contract and elibible for upgrades..etc. Investigate with Verizon to be sure.

Be prepared though..they do NOT want anyone to have the basic phones. We just went through a ton of trouble with DH's phone. We don't want smart phones..we don't text and don't want to pay extra for a data plan we don't need/want. They were awful when we went to replace his phone to the point the guy kept saying "Explain to me why you don't want a smart phone" and I told him because it wasn't necessary and he kept pressing it and pressing it. When I finally demanded to see the basic phones he threw a hissy and went to the back to get them. It was a PITA..then I had to go through a bunch of sales crap with yet more pressure for a smart phone..so annoying. So be prepared they might not make things easy for you but you should investigate it with them as extra lines are generally under the main contract and the phones eligible for upgrades.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Why do you say he has no contract? Extra lines are under the same plan as the main account..
I'm sure he's under contract, and eligible for an upgrade after 2 years, like everyone else on the plan. However, I'm assuming the case here is that it's not time for his upgrade. I've always found that by the 2 year upgrade time, the phones either died, or are on their way (I'm up next month, and I'm ready to bury my droid at this point).

I agree with you about the lack of simple phones. Both my mom and dd11 use simple phones, and I think there is now a choice of 3.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I'm sure he's under contract, and eligible for an upgrade after 2 years, like everyone else on the plan. However, I'm assuming the case here is that it's not time for his upgrade. I've always found that by the 2 year upgrade time, the phones either died, or are on their way (I'm up next month, and I'm ready to bury my droid at this point).

I agree with you about the lack of simple phones. Both my mom and dd11 use simple phones, and I think there is now a choice of 3.
They will generally allow you to upgrade on a different line..like if you are eligible they can upgrade his phone instead...we did this one year.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
They will generally allow you to upgrade on a different line..like if you are eligible they can upgrade his phone instead...we did this one year.
Lol - I have 3 kids and my mother on my contract, and it's even hard to keep track who took who's upgrade! We base it on who needs a new phone, not who is eligible for a new phone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: