Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
gortman65
Proud papa to two Mouseketeers

Questions about family drop-off @ Port Canaveral

Background:
We are driving a rental from WDW to PC for our Dream cruise this coming January. I'd like to drop off my family and our luggage at the port and return the car by myself, either catching a taxi or the free shuttle back to port. We are hoping to get one of the earlier embarkation times.

Questions:
1. Where exactly do I drop off my family if the port itself isn't open yet?
2. If the port is open, can I drop them off right in front of the DCL terminal?
3. For those that have done this scenario before and had an 11:00 am embarkation time, how much time did you allow (or would recommend allowing) for returning the rental car and getting back to the port?

Thanks!

gortman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

You can drop them off where the taxis drop off ... The luggage men will take all the cases for you (make sure to have a few dollars and the luggage tags already on them).

It take 5 mins to get from the port to the car rentals on Astronaut Blvd, dependent on the queue at the ad rental, you could be all done inside another 5 mins, then the transport back which is another 5 mins ... But, last time we did this, there was a large queue for returning the car and then the shuttle back waited to be fuller before leaving so it took us 45 mins from driving into the car rental to arriving back at the terminal.

Make sure if your family are going into the terminal without you, that you have your passport and not them! I don't think they can check in without you anyway, but you'd need that passport for entry. (sorry, I say passport as I'm from the UK and have to have one ... If you're from the States, you may not need a passport, but whatever you use for ID perhaps)!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

30 minutes is a reasonable estimate from the time you drop the family till the time you return to the terminal if you are using Budget or one of the closest car places. Thrifty is several miles farther away, so more time. You could complete the process in 15 minutes, but you can't count on it.

There is a specific place for drop off. It is near the terminal, but not "right in front of" it. The porters come to the drop off area to take the luggage, so they won't have to carry anything. They'll hand off the luggage and go directly to the line to enter the terminal.

I'm sure you are aware that your boarding pass number is tied to your boarding time--arriving early will not affect your boarding pass number or boarding time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
gortman65
Proud papa to two Mouseketeers

Thanks for the info - very helpful!

gortman65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: