Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Some Schools. . .

In the Fall will close their school day at 6:30 p.m.?

An idea for a time here in Ontario, Canada was school all year, no Summer vacation!
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad that never went through. I think all of my teacher friends would go insane from the stress of a 12 month school year.

I believe in Australia, they have one month off during the winter, and one month off during the summer.

me: Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~

Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogo Shuko View Post
I'm so glad that never went through. I think all of my teacher friends would go insane from the stress of a 12 month school year.

I believe in Australia, they have one month off during the winter, and one month off during the summer.
I know, I was relieved it didn't happen; At the time I felt so saddened by the possibility. The realization that kids would not have those summers to remember. . .
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Forgot to add some American Schools-6:30, not Canadian.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
DawnM
Dawn

What time will they start?

I don't really know how you could have football or any sports' practice after 6:30pm.

Do you have a link? I can't find anything.

And as for school all year, do you mean a year round schedule? It is different. You still have your regular 180-190 school days, they are just allocated differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post
In the Fall will close their school day at 6:30 p.m.?

An idea for a time here in Ontario, Canada was school all year, no Summer vacation!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Teachers still work their normal 9 months in year round school, their 3 month summer break is just scattered, 3 months of instruction, month off, 3 months of instruction, 1 month off, 3 months of instruction, 1 month off.

They experimented with year round school here in the early 1980s, dumped it about 5 years ago. ONe district experienced over crowding in the the mid-2000s and went year round to get more kids in the same buildings, but that mostly is gone now.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

My brother in law teaches in a year round school. He loves it. He loves the breaks in October and April, and the chance to vacation during off season

I can't imagine days that long. Poor kids. I wouldn't think they could prove it conducive for learning.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
4under4
DIS Veteran

I actually wouldn't mind year round school, IF there was a 2-3 week break every 10 weeks (i.e. marking period). I actually think it would let me do MORE with my kids since we could travel off-season.

I love that my kids get a summer vacation, but for those of us that work full time, it's hard to come home and hear about all the fun they had... with the nanny . I have a very flexible work schedule, and can take a lot of time off, but not 3 months in a row.

As for the late finish, is that for "homework/extra help"? I think that's way too late for little ones, but for high students, if they don't come home with any homework, it might be doable. I know too many high school kids that go straight to practices/games after school, and don't even start their homework until 9:30 or 10:00.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
What time will they start?

I don't really know how you could have football or any sports' practice after 6:30pm.

Do you have a link? I can't find anything.

And as for school all year, do you mean a year round schedule? It is different. You still have your regular 180-190 school days, they are just allocated differently.
This was for the United States. They were discussing it on Live with Kelly & Michael. They had questions too, so I'm assuming not N.Y. Or California, where their children go because, neither liked the idea.

It was said that the school day would start at the same time as this past year.

Last edited by NFLDERS; 06-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
smkohn
Mouseketeer

I would LOVE to teach in a year round school! Smaller breaks from work and vacations during less busy times and the chance to get away when it's actually cold here instead of going somewhere warm when it is already warm at home. I don't think there are any schools around here that are year round, but I would definitely enjoy teaching at one if there were.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
DawnM
Dawn

I see. Well, I worked in year round schools for all 17 years of my career and loved, loved, loved it. Overcrowded school so we only had 163 days of instruction, but our day went from 7:30-3:30 to make up the time. 4 months off per year......4 months on, 2 off, 4 on, 2 off.

However, I will say that there is a LOT of mis-understanding about it out there, even on talk shows.

My strong guess is that even Kelly and Michael didn't have all the facts before discussing about year round OR time of day to start/end school.

Dawn

BTW: This wouldn't be the first time Kelly didn't have all her facts straight before launching opinions about it.....just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post
This was for the United States. They were discussing it on Live with Kelly & Michael. They had questions to, so I'm assuming not N.Y. Or California, because neither liked the idea.

It was said that the school day would start at the same time as this past year.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

A local school district has been under pressure to start high school later. They came out with their schedule for next year and they start later and get out at 4:20. Now the parents are complaining that it will impact afterschool activities. Can't win.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

This year our school starts on Aug. 1st. We have 2 weeks in Oct., 2 weeks at Christmas, and 2 weeks in March. We then get out the first week of June next year.

I am excited about it!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I hate the idea of schools going until 6:30 at night. That just seems crazy.

On the surface, I think the idea of year-round school sounds nice. There is less time between instruction (like in the summer) so less of a chance of students forgetting information and having to play catch up at the beginning of the year. There would be chances for kids to go on vacation throughout the year without having to miss school. It would be nice. However, then I think about how I live in Texas and it gets ridiculously hot in the summer. Ridiculously hot. And I can only imagine what the cooling bill would look like in June, July, and August. They are already outrageous for the half of August that the ac is on, as well as in April and May.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
A local school district has been under pressure to start high school later. They came out with their schedule for next year and they start later and get out at 4:20. Now the parents are complaining that it will impact afterschool activities. Can't win.
That schedule works better for high schoolers sleep patterns.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: