Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Any guess as to whether MK will close due to capacity on Easter?

We are hoping to spend some time in Epcot on Easter Sunday morning, but are planning to head to MK around 1:00 to find a seat for the Easter parade. I'm wondering if we'll have any trouble getting into the park at that time.

Also, we currently have dining reservations at Tony's. We chose TTS since it is in the park. I think we'd rather eat at Kona Cafe, but I'm worried that we won't be able to get back into MK after dinner.

Any thoughts?

me , DH , DD (11) , DD (9) , DD (7) ,

July 2014 BWV, October 2013 SSR, March 2013 VWL, November 2012 BLT, March 2011 BCV, July 2010 AKL, March 2010 BLT, August 2009 Disneyland Hotel, July 2009 SSR, March 2009 SSR, March 2007 WL, October 2004 CBR, April 2000 off property
wheredreamsbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredreamsbegin
We are hoping to spend some time in Epcot on Easter Sunday morning, but are planning to head to MK around 1:00 to find a seat for the Easter parade. I'm wondering if we'll have any trouble getting into the park at that time.

Also, we currently have dining reservations at Tony's. We chose TTS since it is in the park. I think we'd rather eat at Kona Cafe, but I'm worried that we won't be able to get back into MK after dinner.

Any thoughts?
Not really an Easter parade there anymore--hasn't been for years.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Not really an Easter parade there anymore--hasn't been for years.
Do Mr. and Mrs. Bunny lead the 3:00 parade?

Even if there is no parade, we would still like to start in EPCOT and make our way to MK. Do you think it will close on Easter?

July 2014 BWV, October 2013 SSR, March 2013 VWL, November 2012 BLT, March 2011 BCV, July 2010 AKL, March 2010 BLT, August 2009 Disneyland Hotel, July 2009 SSR, March 2009 SSR, March 2007 WL, October 2004 CBR, April 2000 off property
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredreamsbegin View Post

1- Do Mr. and Mrs. Bunny lead the 3:00 parade?

Even if there is no parade, we would still like to start in EPCOT and make our way to MK.

2- Do you think it will close on Easter?
1- Yes.

2- Quite possible.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
redheadedmermaid73
Mouseketeer

Easter is very crowded. I would plan for it to close.
*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*

DH (25) ME (25) Our furbabies Nani Shadow Penny
redheadedmermaid73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Easter day was awesome this year though. We did EPCOT in the morning and then hopped to MK for the parade. They may not have an actual Easter parade, but the little additions before the the afternoon parade were pretty cute. I was worried that the park would close, too. I guess we got lucky!
jc040404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

The crowd issue for Easter in 2013 is compounded by the fact that Easter is very early (March 31). So the schools that have their spring break tied to the calendar, as opposed to the holiday, will be out at the same time as the schools that do tie their break to Easter itself.

March is a big month for spring break - so when Easter falls in late April like it did this year, there aren't as many issues with capacity closures. But move it up into March, which is already busy anyway, and I would guess there will be a lot of closures, especially the week prior to and including Easter weekend.

I would not count on being able to move from Epcot to MK at around 1pm. You would need to be at MK much earlier, or head to MK around 4pm. Typically MK would close for capacity mid-morning (say, 10 to 11 am) and not reopen until late afternoon (probably just after that parade you want to see). If you can move your Epcot day, and just spend Easter in MK, it might be a better choice if your heart is set on the parade. If your dinner reservation is late enough, you probably won't have an issue getting into MK in time for dinner, although it's always possible. Having an ADR doesn't get you in if the park has reached capacity.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

MK has closed due to capacity on Easter in recent years (though not all of them).
As a pp said, you have the added problem of the March Spring breaks to contend with, making closure more likely.
When it does close though, it's usually only during the middle of the day. So, if you arrive before 10:30 am or after 5 pm, you'll probably be ok (of course, arriving after 5 pm means you'll miss the parade)

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
The crowd issue for Easter in 2013 is compounded by the fact that Easter is very early (March 31). So the schools that have their spring break tied to the calendar, as opposed to the holiday, will be out at the same time as the schools that do tie their break to Easter itself.

March is a big month for spring break - so when Easter falls in late April like it did this year, there aren't as many issues with capacity closures. But move it up into March, which is already busy anyway, and I would guess there will be a lot of closures, especially the week prior to and including Easter weekend.

I would not count on being able to move from Epcot to MK at around 1pm. You would need to be at MK much earlier, or head to MK around 4pm. Typically MK would close for capacity mid-morning (say, 10 to 11 am) and not reopen until late afternoon (probably just after that parade you want to see). If you can move your Epcot day, and just spend Easter in MK, it might be a better choice if your heart is set on the parade. If your dinner reservation is late enough, you probably won't have an issue getting into MK in time for dinner, although it's always possible. Having an ADR doesn't get you in if the park has reached capacity.
Thank you so much for your response! This is exactly what I was looking for. We have been to WDW many times for Spring Break. We know how to handle the crowds and always have a great time; however, I know that Spring Break 2013 will be the busiest that we have encountered due to the timing of Easter. We have another EPCOT day planned (and a night too!) The reason for traveling to EPCOT is solely for the Easter activities that I've read about that are held at Innoventions East. If we have to get skip those to guarantee admission to MK, then that's what we'll have to do! Thank you!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredreamsbegin View Post
Thank you so much for your response! This is exactly what I was looking for. We have been to WDW many times for Spring Break. We know how to handle the crowds and always have a great time; however, I know that Spring Break 2013 will be the busiest that we have encountered due to the timing of Easter. We have another EPCOT day planned (and a night too!) The reason for traveling to EPCOT is solely for the Easter activities that I've read about that are held at Innoventions East. If we have to get skip those to guarantee admission to MK, then that's what we'll have to do! Thank you!
Can you elaborate?

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: