Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Character Dining Question

We can't get reservations for BOG dining or CRT for our trip beginning Nov 27th. So my question is this. When it comes to character dining what would be your recommendation? We love love love Disney and we haven't been in five years, so please help me decide. I've looked over several but sometimes on disney's website you just can't make a good decision. So, this is where you Disney Veterans come in. Oh, a bit about us. We are early 50's and no children at home. Celebrating our wedding anniversary while we are here. Possibly our last trip to the world. So, hope that is helpful.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Well, which characters are you interested in?

If you have your heart set on CRT, I would keep looking or show up early one day and see if they can fit you in. The best tip I would have would be to show up at the beginning of a meal time (lunch or dinner) and see if they can work you in there before every one else checks in.

We love Crystal Palace, 'Ohana breakfast, 1900 Park Fare Breakfast and Garden Grill (Epcot).

I would also recommend to keep checking online. As the cancel date for packages comes up, some reservations will open up.

One more thing: you could try Ankershus in Norway. They have the princesses too. But, to us, it's just not the same as eating in the castle and I didn't think that it was as great as some here say it is.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

crystal palace in magic kingdom is wonderful. we have tried all meals and loved them all.

1900 PF has great characters. step sisters are hilarious! food isn't great IMO, but most ppl seem to like it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Geomom
Mouseketeer

If you want to stick to the Magic Kingdom Area, I'd recommend 'Cinderella's Happily Ever After' dinner at 1900 Park Fare, at the Grand Floridian--it's on the monorail loop, and being outside of Magic Kingdom, serves alcohol. It is a buffet (in my view, one of the best ones at Disney--the buffet continues past the carving station vs being the same food on both sides). For characters--Cinderella, the Prince, the Stepsisters, and possibly the Stepmother. The stepsisters/stepmother are hilarious, the Prince was very charming with our group...and Cinderella, is...well...Cinderella. If you go to this one, think of questions to ask them to help with the interaction--ask the stepsisters what they really think of Cinderella, etc.

At Epcot, we like Garden Grill in the Land pavillion. The restaurant slowly rotates over the Land ride, so the view changes as you dine. The meal is family style. The character interaction has always been great whenever we've gone. This is one of the more relaxing character meals. Characters include: Farmer Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale. Chip and Dale are hilarious.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
memakwed
Mouseketeer

I agree

It really depends on the characters you would like. Last trip we tried 1900 parkfare and enjoyed it. I liked that there were different characters that the usual mickey and minnie. I don't really like the atmosphere of the restaurant but the characters were great, lots of personality definitely into their character. The food was alright. I don't like Salmon really I don't and I enjoyed the salmon here it had a citrus .dill sauce that made it enjoyabe for me. Alot of people talk abut the strawberry soup. My son loves strawberry soup but it was thicker than what he usually gets but still good. I love Chacken marsala but didn't like it here but my mom liked it. the desserts I don't really remember but my husband ordered a cake for my bday so we ate that instead. It was a nice change and we will go again.
memakwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
crystal palace in magic kingdom is wonderful. we have tried all meals and loved them all.

1900 PF has great characters. step sisters are hilarious! food isn't great IMO, but most ppl seem to like it.

Agree on CP, though we've only done breakfast....also agree on 1900 PF- it just seemed like they crammed people into a small conference room- was very unimpressed...

granted there will be a lot of opinion over this but you must try Chez Mickey's at least once- preferably for breakfast but beware- you're going for the character and the Contemporary, not for the food....... O'Hana is also a good breakfast place and they get the kids involved...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Agree with the for CP. DH and I have dined there several times. Of course it helps that I'm a huge fan of Pooh and his friends.

If you really want Princesses, then Akershus is a nice alternative, and we like the food there, too.

Tusker House at AK for breakfast or lunch is another good bet if you want to meet Mickey.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
OP,
1900 PF has Pooh, Tigger, Alice, Hatter and Mary Poppins for breakfast so there are different characters at the two meals. The breakfast is much better food wise and it has Mary Poppins. I agree that the dinner food isn't as good, but the step sisters do provide a nice distraction. I would still pick breakfast over dinner though.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
ppony
Artist in residence

Like others have said, it'd help to know what characters you're looking for.
We're not all that much younger than you, and though we have kids, several of our trips to WDW were before we had them and we did a lot of character meals then because we enjoyed them. I just canceled one breakfast becuase Chip & Dale aren't there anymore. I wanted them! Family could care less. We are also not people to really like "real people" characters, so while the GF park Fare meals are pretty good (among the best Disney buffets), the people kind of eek me out.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Our favourite character meal at WDW is Tusker House at AK. AK is our second favourite park (MK being our favourite) We love the characters, the atmosphere is terrific. My sister adores Donald who is your "greeter" outside and it's nice to see Daisy at a character meal instead of Minnie. The food selection is terrific. It's a buffet (characters are only there for breakfast and lunch) with regular breakfast and lunch selections and some more unusual choices as well. It's also great if you can get an 8:05am reservation. Assuming the park opens at 9am, you can be on one of the first safaris when the animals are really active.

If you really want a Princess meal then Akershus at EPCOT is a good choice when CRT is full. You meet Belle instead of Cinderella at the start of the meal and the photo package is included in the price

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 10-07-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
daraddg
DIS Veteran

I actually prefered Askersus to CRT because it just didnt feel as rushed ,we definately had more time with the princesses and since we did breakfast food wise it was the same,actually better because there was also a buffet with fruits and bagels etc in addition to eggs etc at your table and you get your photo package with Belle instead of Cindy but my daughter likes her better anyway.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997

OP,
1900 PF has Pooh, Tigger, Alice, Hatter and Mary Poppins for breakfast so there are different characters at the two meals. The breakfast is much better food wise and it has Mary Poppins. I agree that the dinner food isn't as good, but the step sisters do provide a nice distraction. I would still pick breakfast over dinner though.
I agree! definitely breakfast over dinner. i didn't mention the breakfast at 1900 cause i thought the OP wanted dinner only. yes 1900 dinner isn't that good but breakfast is awesome! great food! wonderful characters! mad hatter is a riot. we love it.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: