Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
rcpae
DIS Veteran

Please HELP with a New York City trip

Please bare with me...this might be long. We are leaving after my kids get out of school on Wednesday and heading to New York City. We are hoping to drive as far as we can on Wednesday (8 1/2 hrs from our house) and get within an hour or 2 of NYC for a day visit on Thursday.

Our plan is to vist NYC on Thursday for the day. Thursday evening will be driving and staying in Edison, NJ for a sports tournament the rest of the weekend. My girls, all teenagers, are very excited and looking forward to visiting NYC. My husband and I went for our anniversary about 5 years ago and had a great time, but some things have changed and I'm lost.

We would like to: stroll thru Central Park, go to the Top of the Rock, View (not take the boat) the Statue of Liberty and possibly visit the 9/11 Memorial, and shop a little...possibly in Chinatown.

I noticed that you can no longer purchase 1 day Subway passes. What would the best plan of attack be to save us time and money? What order would you visit? Would you use the subway?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I am overwhelmed looking at all of this...

Now we want to plan another!!
rcpae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Just an FYI - in order to view the 9-11 memorial you must sign up for tickets. They are free but you need to do this in advance. It gives you a time to be there. So if you are going this week, I would not consider it a major stop. You can view the little museum/gift shop for free though.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
rcpae
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. The 9/11 gift shop would be fine.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

The subway will still be cheaper than cabs or any other means of transportation even without the pass.

Have fun! I LOVE NYC.

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpae View Post
Please bare with me...this might be long. We are leaving after my kids get out of school on Wednesday and heading to New York City. We are hoping to drive as far as we can on Wednesday (8 1/2 hrs from our house) and get within an hour or 2 of NYC for a day visit on Thursday.

Our plan is to vist NYC on Thursday for the day. Thursday evening will be driving and staying in Edison, NJ for a sports tournament the rest of the weekend. My girls, all teenagers, are very excited and looking forward to visiting NYC. My husband and I went for our anniversary about 5 years ago and had a great time, but some things have changed and I'm lost.

We would like to: stroll thru Central Park, go to the Top of the Rock, View (not take the boat) the Statue of Liberty and possibly visit the 9/11 Memorial, and shop a little...possibly in Chinatown.

I noticed that you can no longer purchase 1 day Subway passes. What would the best plan of attack be to save us time and money? What order would you visit? Would you use the subway?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I am overwhelmed looking at all of this...
That'd be a heck of a walk, so yes, use the subway.

I'd start at the top, with the Park. You don't say what part of the Park you want to stroll through or what you want to see or do there, so if you have that info, it may alter my suggestion.

You also don't mention eating or what you might want to do vis a vis that, so... in general, not knowing what or where you want in the Park...

I'd do Park, then Top of the Rock (actually I wouldn't do that at all, I'd go to the Empire State Building, but your trip. ) then head downtown and wander around Chinatown, back to see the memorial and then take the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue at night.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
rcpae
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help! May I ask why you would choose the Empire State Building over the Top of the Rock? We've been to the top of the Rock and the reviews we've read say the view is better. Just curious and very open to changing.

We are planning on stopping sometime during the day at a deli or pizza shop.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the help! May I ask why you would choose the Empire State Building over the Top of the Rock? We've been to the top of the Rock and the reviews we've read say the view is better. Just curious and very open to changing.

Wait, you're coming to NYC and you have no plans to eat?

If you're going to Chinatown, go get dim sum. If you're by the Park, there's plenty.

Where do you want to go in the Park?

The Empire State is New York to me (and others). It's iconic, it's traditional, it's where one goes to do that, you know? There aren't movies in which people meet at the Top of the Rock. King Kong didn't waggle Faye Wray over Rock Center, etc. It's the only tourist attraction I take tourists to when they come, personally.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:

http://www.mta.info/ You can buy a metro card to use on the subways. You can use 1 card for up to 4 people (we found out the hard way once...dh tried to use it for 5 of us...)

Have a great time...how are you planning on getting into the city? The easiest if you are staying in Edison is to take the train... I live right in the area where are you staying? you can pm me.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:

I've been to both. I prefer the Top of the Rock. The views are much better.

Go to Broadwaybox.com for discounts.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
shoney
DIS Veteran

I also prefer top of the rock. It is newer, has nicer elevator, and larger observation deck. It also gets less crowded too! You will be able to take great pics of the Empire State building. If you had more time, I'd do both!

To see the statue of liberty, The Beast speed boat ride is alot of fun. It is only 30 minutes so it doesn't take up as much time and is more fun than the staten island ferry. (but it isn't free!) but...
if you are coming on Thurs. their website says they are shooting a commercial and the 1:30 ride is free...maybe there are still spots available...
http://www.circleline42.com/new-york...KXhzhuY13boimA

I don't think you have enough time to make use of a 1 day pass, but this site will allow you bundle a few attractions together to save....

http://www.smartdestinations.com/new...FQqk4AodVREAxQ

We love Chinatown so I think that is worth a stop for lunch or dinner.

You will need to take the subway to get around. Up to 4 ppl can use 1 card. (not the unlimited of course!)

Have fun!

Last edited by shoney; 10-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Eat in Chinatown! Joe's Shanghai 9 Pell Street! YUMMY! And a real NYC chinatown experience.

Chinatown isn't what it used to be. It's very crowded and much smaller than you think. But still an experience.

I would start downtown- doing the Statue of Liberty, Memorial, then hit Chinatown for lunch and shopping around *really isn't much shopping around.

Then head uptown to do Top of the Rock midtown shopping and then stroll around central park if you have time and it's a nice day- which right now is iffy.

My teen LOVES Balthazar
http://balthazarny.com/
Soho is a fun teen experience. We hit up a trunk show by accident just by walking around.

Personally I would do all downtown stuff and skip the midtown stuff if I only had one day. It's a lot to do in a day. Particularly if they are competing in some sports event over the weekend.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

You are trying to do too much

I'd do Central park
Top of the Rock
9-11

Chinatown also would be too much

Everytime we do a day trip to NYC we plan 3-5 things and are lucky to do 2
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I think the 'do too much' depends on what they want to do. If there's like one area of the Park they want to see, and won't spend hours wandering in Chinatown, not too much at all. I thought they should make an evening plan, actually.

However, if they want to see/do a bunch in the Park and want to go shopping at Pearl and all along Canal, yeah that'll eat half the day.

The reason I say start at the top is that the Ferry is great at night. The Park isn't as fun at night - Park is for daytime. Everything else except the memorial is much more flexible timewise.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
rcpae
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far. Ok, it sounds like we will need to buy 2 Transit cards since there are 5 of us.

A little more info: I wanted us to go and just wonder around Central Park for a bit. It's historic and beautiful. My daughters are 18, 16 and 15. They will get enough of this pretty quickly. What area would you recommend?

It sounds like we will choose the Top of the Rock or the Empire State building to save on time.

A friend had suggested to take the Staten Island Ferry purely so my girls could get a closer look at the Statue of Liberty. She said to just take the ferry to the Staten Island and them come right back. It's also free.

The last time I was in NYC, the 9/11 area was under construction. There were some things to see, but not much. I wanted to take them to this area because it's part of our countrys history and something they have learned about in school over the years. Just a quick stop by is fine.

Finally, I know they each have some money and I know they will want to shop (on a budget) a little. Would you take them to Chinatown for this? My husband and I have been there and we enjoyed ourselves. Although, we never ate there...and we love Chinese food.

Not that this matters, but we are taking this extra day in the City because I loved visiting NYC, my girls have never been and Thursday is my birthday. So it is a special treat for us all!

One other thing. We are driving from Ohio on Wednesday afternoon/evening. We are planning on going as far as we can and then going the rest of the way Thursday AM. How far would you drive into the city from that direction. Where would you plan on parking and then taking other transportation?

Thanks so much for all of the help!

Last edited by rcpae; 10-02-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post

The Empire State is New York to me (and others). It's iconic, it's traditional, it's where one goes to do that, you know? .
BUT the lines for Empire are horrendous-and the BIGGEST perk of Top of the Rock is you can-

LOOK at the Empire State Building in all its GLORY!!!
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: