Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Keeping a cat paw wrappped?

any advice? Bosco tore his dew claw pad badly yesterday while trying to jump someplace he didnt belong. I wrapped his paw with gauze and tape and it looks better today but I want to keep it wrapped to protect it. Hes also got a wound from licking too much (he got into inslation) on his side. Right now thats wrapped in a ace wrap secured with duct tape. He was wearing the cone of shame when he pulled his paw wrap off but my grandma (whos babysitting him) wanted it off so hes curently coneless.Any advice on how to keep either wound covered?
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Baby sock and duct/duck tape. That is what we used when our Beagle ended up breaking a nail and needed to keep it wrapped for 2 weeks.

It may or may not work for a cat. They are pretty agile.

Good luck!
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

The only surefire way (and even thats no guarantee) is the cone of shame
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
I married a king
Earning My Ears

It's all fun and games until somebody ends up in a cone. Read that the other day on a vets sign.
I married a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

He had the cone of shame on when he ripped the wrap off his paw the first time! totally went on a lick fest when I took it off. Hopefully the coband I put on stays on tonnight. Have to try duct tape tommrow! According to grandma hes lounging on the stove! So any ideas on how to thank my grandma for letting my cat rehab on her house? less trouble for him to get into there!
RIP:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
any advice? Bosco tore his dew claw pad badly yesterday while trying to jump someplace he didnt belong. I wrapped his paw with gauze and tape and it looks better today but I want to keep it wrapped to protect it. Hes also got a wound from licking too much (he got into inslation) on his side. Right now thats wrapped in a ace wrap secured with duct tape. He was wearing the cone of shame when he pulled his paw wrap off but my grandma (whos babysitting him) wanted it off so hes curently coneless.Any advice on how to keep either wound covered?
Go to the local (horse) feed store and buy a roll of elasticon. Stretchy bandage tape. Go sparingly it really sticks, but there is nothing better out there for any kind of critter. I know small animal vets use it for declaws and I have used it myself for a myriad of species and injuries. It is flexible and sticks to any surface.
Zobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
DisneyWitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobie View Post
Go to the local (horse) feed store and buy a roll of elasticon. Stretchy bandage tape. Go sparingly it really sticks, but there is nothing better out there for any kind of critter. I know small animal vets use it for declaws and I have used it myself for a myriad of species and injuries. It is flexible and sticks to any surface.
Will this also work on my miscreant 17 year old stepson? Because it might be the only thing to get that boy to fly right! LOL

Seriously - I am not a vet, but would bitter apple spray around the "licky" part work, to discourage your little furperson to stop licking there? Also, my cat had an issue with her paw and my vet suggested the baby sock and told me to use medical tape. She tried to get it off but was pretty unsuccessful. She walked a little funky for a few days, though.

All the best to your cat, and your family. If she has to get a cone, don't look at it as a "cone of shame"...I'll bet the cat sees it as a "treat funnel"! LOL Good luck and hope the healing comes quickly!

DisneyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
You can buy this in any drug store as well. It's usually called something like "self adherent wrap". You can buy it at PetSmart too, there it is called "Vet Wrap". You will still need a cone. Cats can still chew at it, but it makes it much harder to remove.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
Will this also work on my miscreant 17 year old stepson? Because it might be the only thing to get that boy to fly right! LOL

Seriously - I am not a vet, but would bitter apple spray around the "licky" part work, to discourage your little furperson to stop licking there? Also, my cat had an issue with her paw and my vet suggested the baby sock and told me to use medical tape. She tried to get it off but was pretty unsuccessful. She walked a little funky for a few days, though.

All the best to your cat, and your family. If she has to get a cone, don't look at it as a "cone of shame"...I'll bet the cat sees it as a "treat funnel"! LOL Good luck and hope the healing comes quickly!
Bitter Apple doesn't always work when it comes to bandage chewing. (Or door licking in the case of my Boxer with seperation anxiety)

OMG!!! "treat funnel"! I'll have to call it that at work form now on!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
I second the vet wrap!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Elastikon is even tougher than vet wrap. Vetrap is made by 3M and comes in a multitude of colors, no adhesive but sticks to itself (sort of) 2 and 4 inch rolls. Elastikon is made by Johnson and Johnson 1, 2, 4, 6" rolls etc (and others now that it is out of patent). I usually use the two in conjunction with one another. I have had a little practice with each as I own a horse ranch and a feed store lol. Bitter Apple is OK, but Wrap Last will keep keep any animal off of a bandage. Just don't get it on the skin, bandage only.

Good Luck

(I am tickled there is something I actually know the answer to on the DIS boards)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

UPDATE! or why my cat is evil!

Stupid managed to get the vet elasticon off! Our vet just laughed when we came in. Had to remove cat litter from the wound today! So I got mad, really mad, incredbally mad (he bit me), So I went with plan D! Duct tape! I wrapped the wound in gauze and covered the whole thing in duct tape. I made sure to catch some of his fur on too so if he tries to remove it it should hurt! He keeps this up and he will be living in the dog kennel till he heals!
RIP:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Stupid managed to get the vet elasticon off! Our vet just laughed when we came in. Had to remove cat litter from the wound today! So I got mad, really mad, incredbally mad (he bit me), So I went with plan D! Duct tape! I wrapped the wound in gauze and covered the whole thing in duct tape. I made sure to catch some of his fur on too so if he tries to remove it it should hurt! He keeps this up and he will be living in the dog kennel till he heals!
Ok you have super cat. How about a cat bag? LOL Only the head sticks out and it has zippers at the business end and all 4 legs.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok you have super cat. How about a cat bag? LOL Only the head sticks out and it has zippers at the business end and all 4 legs.
May have to go that way! hes driving me nuts! I swear this cats a dork.
RIP:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: