Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
luv2boys
DVC Boardwalk Villas

we will also be there for our first Christmas Dec. 24-29th. Only doing MK and Studios...MK on the 24th (heard to avoid it on the 25th) and Studios on the 25th. Other days, resort decorations, beach day, etc. We have never been at this time but have been before. Have told family that we will not be able to ride everything like we have in the past and that this will be a lets hit a few of our favorites and then relax, looking at decorations, enjoy parade, etc instead of the run, run, run we usually do. My boys are 13 and 16. Sounds like I need to make a reservation for the 24th and 25th instead of counter service....are we talking normal lines for food or hour waits?
luv2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
MouseTrip07
Mouseketeer

We will also be down from Dec. 24-29, driving from Ohio. We recently bought a new RV and decided to "break it in" at Fort Wilderness. We were just at WDW in June. This trip we are planning to do a some resort-hopping to catch the decorations and (as of right now!) we are getting just one day hoppers for one marathon park day (NOT Christmas day!).

We were at WDW in December (not Christmas week) a few years ago and it was just magical. I am worried a little bit about the crowds, but I am going into the trip with the "go with the flow" mentality.

83 days to wait!

Jennifer
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
PlutoTheDog89
Mouseketeer

My family is going again this year. The last time we went was in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. We skipped last year as we went to a wedding in April down in Disney so we figured we'd wait it out. Both times we went, I was still in college, my mom had vacation time, my sister is a teacher and my dad is retired. Now, all the same, except I work in advertising where I am supposed to get that week between Christmas and NYE off. If not, I still have time saved up, but fingers crossed.

The first year, my mom had her sixth sense kick in and insisted on not flying or driving because the weather would be bad. She insisted on taking Amtrak. After we fought her on it, we booked Amtrak. Well, if you remember 2009 Christmas, it snowed quite a bit on the 23rd. Luckily, after a delay, Amtrak ran and we were on our way down.

In 2010, we decided to try again. This time, to drive down. Well, I broke my foot so we were down one driver. We made it down fine, though. We got down earlier than expected but the people at CSR were accommodating and welcoming.

This year, following Sandy, we had the mentality of "we need to get away". Thankfully, we did not cancel the trip, yet. Aside from Sandy, we have a family member who is very sick, so hopefully things do not take a turn for the worst. We are flying down this year. So, hopefully our "mother nature karma" will be in our favor and we will get down fine.

So, after this trip, I'll have a review of every possible way to get to Disney except walking..

Next Trip: Christmas
12/24/12 - 1/1/13

Previous Trips:

3/29/12 - 4/1/12: Wedding for family friend
A Short trip, but a memorable and enjoyable one! Played golf in Disney for the first time! A very non-traditional trip, but a fun one!

12/24/10 - 1/1/11: Christmas
[I] Our Second Christmas. We drove down to Florida. I had a broken foot, so I got everywhere via EMV. My mom got sick, then my sister, then I was sick for NYE. Missed the parks on NYE day, but I champed it out for NYE at DHS [I]

12/24/09 - 1/1/10 Christmas
[I] Our first Christmas spent in Disney. We took Amtrak down (never again). I fought a cold all Christmas, but fought through it to enjoy. [I]

Summer of 2007: We went following my High School graduation. Fun trip but it was scorching hot!

The one or two other times previous to this, but the dates don't stick out in my mind.
PlutoTheDog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Disneynut4ever
DIS Veteran

*Caribbean Beach * All Star Movies * Dixie Landings * Port Orleans Riverside * Animal Kingdom Lodge * Disney Cruise - Wonder * Beach Club * Port Orleans French Quarter * Polynesian * Port Orleans Riverside * All Star Music * Coronado Springs
Disneynut4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
jovimama
Earning My Ears

Hi! I posted my tips on another thread (sorry don't know how to paste the link so just copied it here - I'm new here!). Hope this helps!

This will be our third xmas trip to Disney. We were terrified the first time hearing about all the crazy crowds, but I have to say, we never never waited on line! It can be done. The difference between going this time of year and any other is that planning is a must. I got fantastic info here and joined some touring sites which helped a lot. My biggest tips are these (some have been said before):
1) Plan Plan Plan. This is one time of year it is necessary - but like I said, with a little info and planning your family will have a fabulous time.
2) Get to the parks before rope drop. It is amazing the amount we were able to get done in those first 1-2 hours before the real crowds come filing in.
3) We stayed off property. This is the one time of year I was glad I did. It's waayyyy cheaper (for my family of 5, the savings was huge). With the money saved we were able to drive and park at the parks. The busses can be a nightmare this time of year. I would avoid them at all costs.
4) Make advance reservations and make them early in the day for lunch and dinner. We ate 11AM lunches and 5PM dinners.
5) Fast pass, fast pass, fast pass
6) For crazy crowded events like fireworks and Fantasmic look into booking packages. We did the Fireworks dessert package at MK and had an amazing view with no crowding. We also booked Fantasmic dinner packages which allowed us not to wait in the crazy lines.
7)Leave early afternoon. Exit the park as the herds of people are entering. It was amazing to us when we would overhear (more than once) families who obviously just entered the park eating lunch in a restaurant with us casually saying which rides they should go to. We knew they would be waiting for hours on end. We had already been on most everything and like I said, WITH NO WAIT!
8) Check the weather and bring warm clothes! Last year was beautiful but the prior year was freezing. We had our winter coats, scarves, gloves, the works (especially good for waiting for rope drop).

Christmastime is an unbelievable time to go to Disney, but it could easily be miserable. You do need to plan, plan, plan but it is so worthwhile! Enjoy!
jovimama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: