Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #301
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom
I hope they finally expose O'Brian for the incident with "her Ladyship's soap." She is so rotten, I'd like to see her suffer some.
This!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #302
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

But Shirley MacLaine IS coming back!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...downton-abbey/

Shirley MacLaine to Return to Downton Abbey

After a third season in which the popular PBS series “Downton Abbey” lost two of its main characters, PBS is announcing the return of a familiar face and several new ones.

Shirley MacLaine, who appeared earlier this season as Martha Levinson, the outspoken mother of Cora, Countess of Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern), will return for Season 4.

New additions to the cast include Tom Cullen, whose Lord Gillingam is described as “an old family friend of the Crawleys,” and Harriet Walter, who takes on the part of Lady Shackleton, “an old friend of the Dowager.”

Season 4 of the British class drama will also introduce aristocrat Charles Blake, played by Julian Ovenden. New Zealand-born opera star Kiri Te Kanawa — a real-life dame — will also appear as a guest of the Crawley family.

This past season, the show saw the shocking departures of Dan Stevens, who played Matthew Crawley, and Jessica Brown Findlay, who portrayed Lady Sybil.

Now it appears another familiar face may be leaving. Actress Siobhan Finneran, who plays housemaid Mrs. O’Brien, the character fans love to hate, will not be returning for the new season.

Finneran told the U.K.’s Daily Mirror last week, “I’m not doing any more, O’Brien is a thoroughly despicable human being — that was great to play.”

The fourth season will premiere in the U.K. next fall and in the U.S. the following winter.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa

Last edited by Deb in IA; 03-04-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Updated
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #303
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I just fine it so odd that everyone likes/loves Edith.

Count me as a Mary. She was SO graceful during the Livania era. I don't know that I could have handled that as well as she did.

And did you all forget about Edith writing to the Turkish ambassador? Unforgiveable!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #304
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...downton-abbey/

Shirley MacLaine to Return to Downton Abbey

After a third season in which the popular PBS series “Downton Abbey” lost two of its main characters, PBS is announcing the return of a familiar face and several new ones.

Shirley MacLaine, who appeared earlier this season as Martha Levinson, the outspoken mother of Cora, Countess of Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern), will return for Season 4.

New additions to the cast include Tom Cullen, whose Lord Gillingam is described as “an old family friend of the Crawleys,” and Harriet Walter, who takes on the part of Lady Shackleton, “an old friend of the Dowager.”

Season 4 of the British class drama will also introduce aristocrat Charles Blake, played by Julian Ovenden. New Zealand-born opera star Kiri Te Kanawa — a real-life dame — will also appear as a guest of the Crawley family.

This past season, the show saw the shocking departures of Dan Stevens, who played Matthew Crawley, and Jessica Brown Findlay, who portrayed Lady Sybil.

Now it appears another familiar face may be leaving. Actress Siobhan Finneran, who plays housemaid Mrs. O’Brien, the character fans love to hate, will not be returning for the new season.

Finneran told the U.K.’s Daily Mirror last week, “I’m not doing any more, O’Brien is a thoroughly despicable human being — that was great to play.”

The fourth season will premiere in the U.K. next fall and in the U.S. the following winter.
Mrs. O'Brian???? Wait a minute - that hag was MARRIED?!
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #305
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Mrs. O'Brian???? Wait a minute - that hag was MARRIED?!
Certain of the "upper" servants are given the title "Mrs" as a sign of respect.

Though, I thought that she was Miss O'Brien (not sure that a Lady's Maid gets the term "Mrs").
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #306
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Certain of the "upper" servants are given the title "Mrs" as a sign of respect.

Though, I thought that she was Miss O'Brien (not sure that a Lady's Maid gets the term "Mrs").
May have been mis-quoted in the article - I too remember her being addressed as ""MISS O'Brien".

And I also recall that "Mrs. Hughes" was never actually married. When her old boyfriend showed up after his wife died and asked Mrs. Hughes to marry him, she explained that she became a "Mrs." for her age and station, but had never married.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #307
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post

Count me as a Mary. She was SO graceful during the Livania era. I don't know that I could have handled that as well as she did.

And did you all forget about Edith writing to the Turkish ambassador? Unforgiveable!
Mary gives as good as she gets in that relationship- she pretty much ruined Edith's chances with Sir Strallen (in season 1). Each has done pretty awful things to the other.

I like both of them for different reasons. Mary is the pretty one who has had to deal with scandal and bumps in the road to a happy marriage (at least until Matthew dies...). Edith is the sad middle child that is nobody's favorite, will probably end up a spinster, and seems to never catch a break in life.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #308
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

DVD Help!

From what I understand there are 2 versions of the series - the one from UK and the other from PBS. Apparently PBS edited it for US viewing...

Now this is what's confusing - although the US DVDs state 'UK Version', I'm reading reviews that the DVDs are STILL edited versions.

Here's the versions I've watched so far - season 1 on Netflix, season 2 on Amazon Prime, and season 3 on PBS website.

Does anyone know where to get the real unedited versions and what specs I need to took look for?

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #309
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
From what I understand there are 2 versions of the series - the one from UK and the other from PBS. Apparently PBS edited it for US viewing...

Now this is what's confusing - although the US DVDs state 'UK Version', I'm reading reviews that the DVDs are STILL edited versions.

Here's the versions I've watched so far - season 1 on Netflix, season 2 on Amazon Prime, and season 3 on PBS website.

Does anyone know where to get the real unedited versions and what specs I need to took look for?

Thank you!
I watched season 3 from the UK links early on in the thread. I noticed zero difference between that and any of the episodes broadcast on PBS that I saw. Maybe I missed something, but I don't really think so. If there was anything, it had to be minor, nothing relevant to plot.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #310
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post

I know we're supposed to like Mary, but I just don't. I miss Sybill terribly. She was my favorite.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #311
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
I watched season 3 from the UK links early on in the thread. I noticed zero difference between that and any of the episodes broadcast on PBS that I saw. Maybe I missed something, but I don't really think so. If there was anything, it had to be minor, nothing relevant to plot.
I didn't realize there are UK links on this thread, thanks!

I'm trying to find the uncut UK versions on DVD so that I can give them to my mother. She only does TV/DVD - no computers, Netflix, Hulu, etc. But I want her to start with the right version.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #312
dvcfamily41801
Has realized you can NEVER have too many DVC points
Would love to be a teachers assistant in an elementary school
Florida Project station takes me to my Happy Place

We just finished season 3 last night at 11:00 pm and what a mistake. I did not sleep at all thinking about it. I LOVED it. My husband watched all 3 seasons earlier in February when recovering from surgery. I had an interest in watching and he said how amazing it was and he would watch it again. So we started season 1 and my 13 year old son and I were hooked. It took us not quite 2 weeks to watch all seasons and now we are just stunned. I can't wait to go back and read the entire thread. After I finish crying. And then we will start over with season 1 I think!!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #313
Janina47
Earning My Ears

Love love Downton Abbey!!!
Janina47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #314
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

I really wish I was watching it in "UK Time." :-( I really want to see the new episodes, and with Giamatti joining the cast... Whew- It's gonna be awesome!

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #315
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

We wait until it's available on DVD. It has the unedited UK version rather than the edited PBS version. Wonderful show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: