Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

Ohanas
Crystal palace
Le cellier
Teppan Edo
Mamma melrose
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Our family's favorites for table service
Tusker House breakfast
Ohana (my kids are picky but you can order typical kids meals even though they're not advertised.
Cali Grill (pretty sure it will be closed while you're there)
Biergarten
Sci Fi diner
50s Prime Time is also good, and we loved Whispering Canyon Cade, but they just changed their menu and it doesn't look as good.
ENJOY your trip!!

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
Mickey2J
Earning My Ears

One of my New "Must Do's" is Chef Mickey's for Dinner. The atmosphere is great, and the Food is Great also. I know it always gets bad review but I tried it for the first time this past September and it was the best meal of the trip. The character interaction is great too, each character came to out table at least 4 times. From now one this is a def must do for us.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
chicharitta
Earning My Ears

Our list:
Crystal Palace-Breakfast
House-Breakfast
Raglan Road
Coral Reef
50's Prime Time
chicharitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

With 3 DD's I would suggest:

1. MK: You can take the monorail to these: Ohana Dinner (Poly) or 1900 Cinderella Dinner at GF (buffet)

2. Epcot: Akershus Princess Dinner

3. DHS: Sci-Fi Drive In also like 50's Cafe but don't think younger kids would appreciate it.

4. AK: Only done Rainforest here but would probably appeal to DH and kids too.

If you can get a dinner ressie for CRT and don't mind the $$ I would always recommend everyone try it at least once, especially with DDs.

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) AofA & POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Alabama Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
ThePrincess&TheJohn
Mouseketeer

My must dos are Ohana and Whispering Canyon Cafe. For CS, Morocco can't be beat. The only restaurant I would stay away from is San Angel Inn.
ThePrincess&TheJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

1. Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village)
2. Via Napoli (EPCOT - Italy Pavilion)
3. Kona Cafe (Polynesian Resort)
4. The Plaza (Magic Kingdom)
5. Kouzzina (Boardwalk Resort)

Honorable Mention - Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrincess&TheJohn View Post
My must dos are Ohana and Whispering Canyon Cafe. For CS, Morocco can't be beat. The only restaurant I would stay away from is San Angel Inn.
We just ate at San Angel in September and our meal was fantastic. While I have always enjoyed SAI the food quality on this visit was better than it has ever been before.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

For your table service dinners, it depends on if you're more interested in the "Disney Experience" vs. the best food. My advice? Mix it up. While the top Signature places bluezoo, Citricos, etc., have the best food, most are similar in feel to higher-end restaurants that can be found in most larger metro areas. The Signatures also tend to be more leisurely, which can be a challenge with small children.

For first-timers, it's probably worth trying some places where the "magic" may not be the food itself, such as Coral Reef, San Angel Inn, 50s Prime Time, Aklershus, Biergarten, etc. A personal fave is Sanaa, because the food is very good, the restaurant is lovely, and you have a view of the animals (better viewing at lunch or a very early dinner).

Tip for first-timers: Don't overload on character meals.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
So I'm loading up the family (dd10, dd3 and -dd1 plus hubby ) and heading to WDW for our first trip in January
Congratulations on your first trip! What I love about Disney is that there is something for everyone and I see a lot of people have offered great advice about signature dining experiences. I love signature dining. I also know, for me personally, that trying to enjoy a signature dining experience with a 10, 3 and 1 year old would not be too magical for me. So unless you have really remarkable little burgeoning foodies and only you know if you do, I would stick to places that offer a little more family fare and enviornment.

When we travel we really like:

1. At MGM I suggest - 50sPTC because DH and I really enjoy the kitschy theme and the menu is very family friendly and it's one of the best options for us in MGM

2. In Epcot - The San Angel Inn at Epcot because the kids enjoyed the atmosphere and the pyramid and watching the boats go by, or Coral Reef in Epcot has a great atmosphere and the fish tanks keep the kids amused and it is a nice getaway from the busy atmosphere.

3. In the MK we love the Crystal Palace for B, L or D. It's a beautiful setting and the littlest two might enjoy Pooh and Friends and we have always found there is enough variety on the buffet to please everyone and it's very child friendly.

4. Not sure if you using park hoppers but if you are not and you plan to eat in the parks you'll have to dine where you visit for the day. If not, given your kids ages, I would probably enter the parks early at rope drop, go back for a rest and either go back to that park for the evenings parades etc or go to a resort and make an adventure of dining out.

Outside of the parks I would suggest Happily Ever After Dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian gives your little ones the chance to meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and the hysterical antics of the evil stepsisters. This might be really fun for them since Cindy will have a popularity surge with the DVD/Blueray release right now and just seeing the GF is an experience. I'm going to also suggest Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary because it is the only place to meet the big cheese outside of the parks and it's a fun night and has plenty going on to keep the little ones amused. The Wilderness Lodge's Whispering Canyon is fun and exciting with all the antics going on and you can go early and dine then see the geyser and then meander over to Fort Wilderness for the marshmallow roast or watch the Electrical Light pagent.

Anyway those are my suggestions and I hope you find them helpful. Have a wonderful time. First trips really are quite magical!
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We love Ohana, Boma, and Cape May Clambake even if they are all buffets.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
jessthemix
Mouseketeer

We just returned from WDW two weeks ago. Two places I would definitely recommend are Chef Mickey's - wonderful food, wonderful service, and wonderful character interaction. We went for dinner and we were extremely impressed. Secondly, Tony's in Magical Kingdom. I'm not sure why, but I haven't seen this restaurant mentioned before on any if the Disboards posts. We ate there for lunch our last day, and it was so very delicious! Great Italian food and great service. The atmosphere was so nice and the menu was appealing to everyone!

Thanks for creating this post! I logged on just to create a similar thread! We are planning our trip for next September and we are trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to the Deluxe Dining Plan. This thread has proven to be very helpful!! Good luck with your first trip!!

All-Star Movies (2012); Pop Century (2013); All-Star Movies (2014)

jessthemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

These boards have been fantastic for information! Thank you all for your input and in some cases, extremely in depth reviews It really does help me make decisions. Id love to get in on some of the Signature dining but Id say we'll stay more 'entertainment' oriented with the little ones gonna be glad to have this thread when I start making reservations in about a week!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
cmh314
Mouseketeer

My top 5:

Ohana
Biergarten
Le Cellier (but I haven't eaten there since it went to 2 credits on the DDP)
Boma (at AKL)
Akershus (Princess Breakfast) - I notice you have 3 DDs, if they like the princesses this will be a wonderful experience for them and the food is good too.

The Tusker house breakfast is also really good. And my favorite CS meal is the Kringla Bakery (Norway) in Epcot.
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
princessSunshine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
These boards have been fantastic for information! Thank you all for your input and in some cases, extremely in depth reviews It really does help me make decisions. Id love to get in on some of the Signature dining but Id say we'll stay more 'entertainment' oriented with the little ones gonna be glad to have this thread when I start making reservations in about a week!
I'm glad you said that about entertainment oriented - because then I would difinitely suggest: O'Hana (family style), Biergarten (buffet), Chef Mickey's (buffet), and 50s Prime Time (sit down - gotta get the PB&J milkshake!!)...check out allears.net for menus, they also list character dinners/breakfasts. Enjoy
princessSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: