Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #91
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
We'll be there March 7-12!
Cool! We'll overlap a little. I'm hoping it's not too spring-break crowded yet then.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #92
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

So waaaay back on page 2 of this PTR, I found out about the "Limited Time Magic" promo that is Disney's big marketing effort for the year. Color me largely unimpressed. The one I found most amusing was the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" idea, which kaoden39 and I determined had to be a bottom-of-the-barrel, coffee-aided, fill-the-press-release Hail Mary of an idea.

Apparently they were NOT joking. A Disney blogger attended the "what's next" media event at WDW last week and posted this clip of the Dapper Dan/Boy Band week o' fun. They really start into it after the first minute.

Okay ....

It appears they won't be announcing many of the promos until the Friday before, as a "surprise" for visitors (although one could argue anyone who doesn't do much homework for a Disney trip is "surprised" by a lot of things and wouldn't know it was actually anything special).

I'm not sure I agree with the blogger's assertion near the end that "These sorts of promotions are targeted at and designed for the more infrequent visitor." I think at least at Disneyland they are more targeted to AP holders or locals who can drop in on short notice if they see something they like. An infrequent visitor like me isn't going to come more often (or spend more money) for something I don't know about in advance or might not even notice in the park.

OK, enough amateur analysis. If I have time, I'll post some of my holiday Disneyland photos in the next couple days. Two weeks until Christmas Eve!

PHXscuba
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #93
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So I am stuck here this afternoon waiting on the pest control guy, a necessary evil. I got all my work done so now I get a little time to play.

I'll share a few pictures I took on my girls' getaway holiday trip with my best friend L, in December 2010.

The Santa in the Disneyland Hotel lobby was hidden around the corner from Goofy's Kitchen. We walked right up and got our picture!

Thanks to a great suggestion from Sherry E, we hung out in the grand lobby of the Grand Californian. It was so beautiful and relaxing. I think we both put it on our bucket list to stay there someday ... maybe when all of our kids are out of the house!

I tested out several gingerbread Mickeys that trip. Yum, yum, yum!

This was one of my favorite photos I took. I just love the contrast of the castle icicles and the red leaves.

Since we scored free park tickets through my husband's CM friend, we splurged on the Holiday Tour. We both agreed that it was well worth it, including front-of-the-line access to IASWH.

This photo is small enough resolution that it disguises the sad truth that I don't take good night/light pictures. But it's a rule you have to try at Disneyland!

I didn't take many pictures in DCA (gray day, not much exciting and Christmas-y), but I did like the reflection of Mickey's Fun Wheel with the big tree beside it.

We had a wonderful trip and making it back next Christmas season (perhaps with the same friend in tow) is part of my plot if I can manage to come home with an AP from our March trip!

PHXscuba
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #94
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
So waaaay back on page 2 of this PTR, I found out about the "Limited Time Magic" promo that is Disney's big marketing effort for the year. Color me largely unimpressed. The one I found most amusing was the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" idea, which kaoden39 and I determined had to be a bottom-of-the-barrel, coffee-aided, fill-the-press-release Hail Mary of an idea.

Apparently they were NOT joking. A Disney blogger attended the "what's next" media event at WDW last week and posted this clip of the Dapper Dan/Boy Band week o' fun. They really start into it after the first minute.

Okay ....

It appears they won't be announcing many of the promos until the Friday before, as a "surprise" for visitors (although one could argue anyone who doesn't do much homework for a Disney trip is "surprised" by a lot of things and wouldn't know it was actually anything special).

I'm not sure I agree with the blogger's assertion near the end that "These sorts of promotions are targeted at and designed for the more infrequent visitor." I think at least at Disneyland they are more targeted to AP holders or locals who can drop in on short notice if they see something they like. An infrequent visitor like me isn't going to come more often (or spend more money) for something I don't know about in advance or might not even notice in the park.

OK, enough amateur analysis. If I have time, I'll post some of my holiday Disneyland photos in the next couple days. Two weeks until Christmas Eve!

PHXscuba

I am so underwhelmed by the whole thing.

The one thing I took away from the video is how short the Dapper Dan in yellow is.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #95
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures of your girls trip!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #96
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I am so underwhelmed by the whole thing.

The one thing I took away from the video is how short the Dapper Dan in yellow is.
Underwhelmed is a good word to describe it. I suppose I will be on the computer just before we go to see if there is anything interesting going on our week, but nothing to plan on. I wonder if I ask CMs in the park if they will even be aware of the "special" theme week stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Love the pictures of your girls trip!
Thanks! We had so much fun doing all the things we can't do with all the kids in tow -- shopping, tours, eating things besides burgers and pizza ... Our 13-year-old daughters (also best friends) think that we don't know they are scheming behind our backs to have the next girls' trip be mother/daughter! Hmmm.....

PHXscuba
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #97
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Just another fun thing for them to have to know. Can you imagine the things they have to remember.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #98
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So I've been a slacker again keeping this updated ... I think I feel guilty when it drops too low on the first page.

But I have an unanticipated (and unwelcome) day stuck home today with DS7 semi-sick. I made the mistake of saying Sunday night that I was so grateful all of the kids made it through their combined 5 Christmas concerts without getting sick. And the universe laughed. Ugh. I now have to hold my breath for the next 3 days hoping no one else gets sick. And shove all of today's appointments into tomorrow.

I need advice on the next topic ...

So last night DH and I were discussing the Christmas plans -- whose house dinner is at, when we're opening gifts, etc. and I reminded him that I wanted to give the kids the Trip Reveal box during Christmas sometime, not right with the other gifts preferably. He kinda blew my mind when he suggested maybe holding it until New Year's -- making it about what we get to do next year.

I'm unsure if I like this idea or not. Pros: There's not really anything in the box that is strictly Christmas-y, and some of it won't get used much until the trip, like the lanyards. I like moving it away from the other gifts. Cons: I think part of my reluctance is that I Had A Plan, and now it's changing (I like things my way, surprise ) And I'll have to keep the darn secret another week!! And if I'm keeping the secret, it's going to be harder to talk to my parents about them joining us for a day. I don't expect my dad to give me an answer right away, but I was hoping to do it in person.

Any words of wisdom from the collective brain trust reading this?

PHXscuba
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #99
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Well since you asked - the kiddos will have so many happy things on Christmas it might be fun to keep it for NYE (countdown and open the box).

My 2cents worth. Frankly any time is a great time to find out you are going to DL!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #100
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

I think I'm coming around to the idea of giving the kids the Trip Reveal on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day (depending on when I can get them all in the same room ... ahhh teenagers).

It was never really a "Christmas present;" Christmas just happened to fall in the generally right timeframe. I have some unused silver wrapping paper that I can use for a gift that doesn't scream Christmas. OIf course if I do this, they may expect New Year's gifts every year ... NOT!

Tomorrow's goal: must finish the holiday shopping!! And restock the pantry for the oversized kids that will be home too much of the next two weeks.

PHXscuba
Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #101
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Well thank heavens, no one got what DS7 had last week.

I finally got the last two presents wrapped -- a group gift for my parents that needed one more component my sister kept forgetting to give me, and one for my best friend's son (waiting on something handmade I just got last night).

My parents made it safely here, and they and my sister's family have been eating up a storm at my house. I can't believe how quickly the food goes, especially with two teens. We got a good-sized plate of treats delivered in the middle of dinner tonight and they were GONE within two hours. I had DH text a photo of the empty plate to our friend as a thank you!

I won't be on the DIS much the next few days, but I want to wish all of you following my trip report a Merry Christmas if you are celebrating, and a Happy Holiday and Family Time to those of you simply enjoying time off work or having some downtime.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #102
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So we had a really awesome Christmas, with very little griping or ingratitude (a big pet peeve of mine), and lots of good food and family.

First I will give you a less-than-24-hours-old photo of what the family looks like now (not a year ago in the Disney World pictures I posted on the first page of this PTR):

If you recall my desperate hunt for a Perry the Platypus Pillow Pet for DS7, it all paid off. He was gobsmacked when he saw it sitting alongside his stocking. It was a very Perry Christmas with several of his gifts sharing the theme. Here shown with a sucker that made him look like Perry too:

I guess by now the family has figured out I really like Disney stuff (duh). My mother got me these Hallmark Disney things that now reside on the shelf above my computer:

Gift giving from DH and the kids to me is always problematic. I want to be surprised, but also get things I might actually use. In practice this translates into a list I give him, which he picks out and maybe lets the kids help wrap. I'd really like the kids to be more involved, hut I can't really dictate how he does gift-giving.

So this year I told him: "We have a son that drives. Send him and DD13 out with $50 to get me something (anything!) they think I might like." They are old enough to handle that much.

I didn't get a picture of the gift before it was disassembled (and partially eaten!), but the basket contained the cute Minnie computer magnet as well as the Mickey cup (stuffed with Ghirardelli peppermint bark), along with a throw for my new bedroom reading chair and some other candy. I was really proud/touched with what they came up with.

DD10 also got some Disney stuff -- the Brave DVD, Disney Hedbanz game, Just Dance Disney Wii game. The men/boys got some Disney/Pixar/Marvel DVDs as well.

Now I just have to find homes for everything ...

PHXscuba

Coming up soon: the big Trip Reveal, and deciding on having my parents come along

p.s. -- Sorry about the in-your-face enormous pictures. I need to get better organized so the smaller exported picture files end up in the right folders.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #103
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

My goodness, those are gigantic photos, aren't they? I saw the e-mail alert with the text of your post, and I saw your mention of the photo size at the bottom. When I clicked on a link to one of the pictures, I saw what you meant!

That is a great, great family picture! You guys are definitely a happy-looking, photogenic bunch of folks.

I think that your sons came up with really nice gifts for you! They're perfect, right down to the peppermint bark!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #104
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
My goodness, those are gigantic photos, aren't they? I saw the e-mail alert with the text of your post, and I saw your mention of the photo size at the bottom. When I clicked on a link to one of the pictures, I saw what you meant!

That is a great, great family picture! You guys are definitely a happy-looking, photogenic bunch of folks.

I think that your sons came up with really nice gifts for you! They're perfect, right down to the peppermint bark!
Yes, I'm afraid they are on to me! My kids know of my peppermint love. I always wear mint lip balm and they know if something nearby smells like mint, it's probably mom.

My goal is to get the photos on my computer (a fraction of our total photos) wrangled, cleaned out, and into folders so I know what I'm posting. And I'm bad at exporting photos in smaller sizes to use too. Once I see them all huge on my post, I have to decide if it's worth trying to find the ones I meant to post, or just using them raw. And I'm lazy! I guess if it's MY trip report, I can post them any size I please!

PHXscuba
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #105
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Yes, I'm afraid they are on to me! My kids know of my peppermint love. I always wear mint lip balm and they know if something nearby smells like mint, it's probably mom.

My goal is to get the photos on my computer (a fraction of our total photos) wrangled, cleaned out, and into folders so I know what I'm posting. And I'm bad at exporting photos in smaller sizes to use too. Once I see them all huge on my post, I have to decide if it's worth trying to find the ones I meant to post, or just using them raw. And I'm lazy! I guess if it's MY trip report, I can post them any size I please!

PHXscuba
Regarding peppermint - I posted a comment to you in my TR yesterday about my experiences (just 2 nights ago, on Christmas) trying to get peppermint ice cream. What a joke.

At least your city/state has not completely lost its marbles and only begun selling...Slow Churned Peppermint Ice Cream. At least you guys have stores that still sell the 'good stuff.' The REAL peppermint ice cream. My grocery stores and pharmacies have gone mad.

I love a minty lip balm - especially if it is peppermint and not some other lesser mint! Many, many years ago, Maybelline used to sell this wonderful lip balm called Kissing Koolers. It was a little bullet-shaped thing, sort of, though not pointy. Kissing Koolers came in all kinds of different colors and flavors, but all of the bullet-shaped containers had swirly patterns - almost like tie-dyed in a way. And when you'd roll up the balm inside, you'd see that it was swirly too!

Anyway, my point in bringing up Kissing Koolers - which have long since been discontinued - is because my favorite flavor/variety was "Candy Cane"! It was initially just a holiday version of Koolers, but I think they may have changed the name from "Candy Cane" to "Peppermint-something-or-other" over the years, so they could sell it during non-holiday times...but it was originally called "Candy Cane" and I loved it! What a wonderful lip balm! It provided enough color to make it apparent that you were wearing a healthy bit of color on your lips, but not a lot. And it was tingly!

(I remember that one time I wore the "Watermelon" variety of Kissing Coolers, and it had a kind of greenish-purple tie-dyed hue to it. I was on the boat going to Catalina Island with my friends, and one friend noticed that my lips were an odd shade of green! She was a nurse, so she instantly thought I was either getting sick from the motion of the boat - or that I was losing oxygen and was about to die. Needless to say, I never wore the "Watermelon" Kissing Koolers again!)

Yes, by all means, please post photos in whatever sizes you want for your TR. Lots of people love large photos, and lots of people use large photos in their Trip Reports, from what I've seen!

However, I will tell you that for me, personally, the giant photos (in any thread) cause me a lot of trouble in trying to load the pages if there are a lot of photos on one page. Three or four on a page doesn't cause much trouble, but a lot of them will. This is why I can't look at the "Picture of the Day" thread very often - every time I tune in, there are a bunch of giant photos and my computer locks up in trying to load them! (It's very sad, I know, but I just had two different 'tech savvy' people tell me in the last two weeks that they can't even believe my PC is still working at all and that I am on borrowed time with it, so you can see why I have so many problems!) It has even happened in my own Christmas & Halloween Superthreads - if a bunch of giant photos end up on the same page (as opposed to just an occasional giant photo here and there), my PC will have trouble loading pages until we flip to a new page with no giant photos.

Aside from my stupid technical issues, though (which are not the norm for anyone else), I have heard some DIS'ers mention/read some comments in the past that, depending on what size of screen they are looking at, the extra-jumbo photos require extra scrolling to the side or whichever way to see them, and/or that they can't view the entire photo. When I first started my TR thread 4 years ago, I was using a much larger size of photo because I don't think I knew how to adjust the settings/sizes on Photobucket before I uploaded the pics there. I remember another DIS'er making a comment to me about those huge pictures and how he couldn't view the whole thing, but I didn't get what he was talking about at first. I finally figured it out by the time my 2009 trips rolled around. I went down a couple of sizes in the Photobucket settings so my pictures are one level smaller than Laurie's pictures (it looks like that to me, anyway), and I think that her pictures are maybe one level below the largest size.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: