Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Boys are funny in the things that they tweet about. My son does this sort of thing all the time. Silly guys!

No, you aren't selfish. I totally get it!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

So I've been a trip-report slacker lately. Call it "When Weekends Attack". I will be so grateful when marching band and soccer end in a couple weeks. It's not that I don't love the activities, but it's a scheduling nightmare.

I think that's one reason I like family trips so much. We get away from the obligations, the friends, and most of the gadgets. Although we're smushed together for a week in a fraction of our normal personal space and spend so much of each day together, oddly enough our kids get along better. There's less fighting over turns, possessions, video games, attention, etc. They have our undivided attention for once, and almost none of their stuff.

One thing I am sad about is that my kids insist they are outgrowing some of the Disney characters. DD13 and DD10 are SO not into princesses any more. They'll go see Brave or watch Cinderella at home, but they don't want to wear a princess shirt or visit a princess in the park. I think they will slowly return to them as they get older or find new ways -- they are doing the Cinderella ballet at their dance studio this year and DD13 wants desperately to be one of the goofy stepsisters.

And they still like the Fab 5. I will seriously cry if they ever tell me they don't like Mickey Mouse. Today, DD13 is wearing a subtle Mickey Mouse shirt and her Mickey necklace that she got several years ago at DLR. DD10 has a whole wardrobe of Tink, Mickey, Minnie, and Chip/Dale. Since she is tiny she has a much bigger selection than her older sister.

But I do think DS7 is too young to say he's outgrown Cars and Toy Story. Maybe because he's grown up on them? It's makes toy buying much harder when you cut out those two entire aisles of the store. I think about 80 percent of Disney boy toys are Cars or Toy Story. Luckily he LOVES Phineas and Ferb, in fact he's wearing a P&F shirt right now.

It means we don't stand in tons of character lines at the park. We'll have to see Tigger (more on that later) and I'll ask each kid who they want to see most. And you have to see Mickey -- I think it's against the Disney Law to go to the park and not visit with the Big Cheese himself.

So how did you deal with your kids getting "too big" for some of the Disney characters?

Are there any really fun characters we should look for who aren't as popular?

Which characters are "must-do" or tradition for you on every trip?

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #33
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
So I've been a trip-report slacker lately. Call it "When Weekends Attack". I will be so grateful when marching band and soccer end in a couple weeks. It's not that I don't love the activities, but it's a scheduling nightmare.

I think that's one reason I like family trips so much. We get away from the obligations, the friends, and most of the gadgets. Although we're smushed together for a week in a fraction of our normal personal space and spend so much of each day together, oddly enough our kids get along better. There's less fighting over turns, possessions, video games, attention, etc. They have our undivided attention for once, and almost none of their stuff.

One thing I am sad about is that my kids insist they are outgrowing some of the Disney characters. DD13 and DD10 are SO not into princesses any more. They'll go see Brave or watch Cinderella at home, but they don't want to wear a princess shirt or visit a princess in the park. I think they will slowly return to them as they get older or find new ways -- they are doing the Cinderella ballet at their dance studio this year and DD13 wants desperately to be one of the goofy stepsisters.

And they still like the Fab 5. I will seriously cry if they ever tell me they don't like Mickey Mouse. Today, DD13 is wearing a subtle Mickey Mouse shirt and her Mickey necklace that she got several years ago at DLR. DD10 has a whole wardrobe of Tink, Mickey, Minnie, and Chip/Dale. Since she is tiny she has a much bigger selection than her older sister.

But I do think DS7 is too young to say he's outgrown Cars and Toy Story. Maybe because he's grown up on them? It's makes toy buying much harder when you cut out those two entire aisles of the store. I think about 80 percent of Disney boy toys are Cars or Toy Story. Luckily he LOVES Phineas and Ferb, in fact he's wearing a P&F shirt right now.

It means we don't stand in tons of character lines at the park. We'll have to see Tigger (more on that later) and I'll ask each kid who they want to see most. And you have to see Mickey -- I think it's against the Disney Law to go to the park and not visit with the Big Cheese himself.

So how did you deal with your kids getting "too big" for some of the Disney characters?

Are there any really fun characters we should look for who aren't as popular?

Which characters are "must-do" or tradition for you on every trip?

PHXscuba
I hear you! We enjoy our Disney vacations for just what you said - we are away from distractions and enjoy time together as a family.

To answer your questions. Our family is DH, Me, DS 21, DS 21. Being 'excited' about the characters went away a while ago. Their love for their mom and excitement of a Disney family vacation is alive and kickin'

how did you deal with your kids getting "too big" for some of the Disney characters?

In all seriousness, if the lines aren't long and it's a character I'd like to have a pic with I usually just ask for indulgence from my men. "It would mean a lot to me" I don't think of asking when it's magic morning time or the line is long!

The other way is to plan character meals that are good food PLUS characters are around. Tusker House at AK, GCH Storytellers, Goofy's Kitchen. They know if they want mom/dad to pay for dinner they will be around when the characters come to the table They do tease me about 'oh look - here comes Goofy, time to get another plate'.

They will usually indulge me for the free Disney Visa photo shoot too! DSs were 19yo here.

Just wanted you to have proof that older children will still have pictures taken with the characters.

You will need to change your expectations a bit as your children grow up but we are proof that a love of Disney and wonderful family trips are possible way beyond when your babies are babies. Hey - we even sleep in some days and get to the park at lunch. Unheard of a few years ago.

We started going to Disney with our boys when they were 7. They'll almost be 22 when we go this December. I hope we have years of precious family trips in our future.
tksbaskets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #34
kaoden39
Hugs

There are some characters they never outgrow. But, I cheat just in case there is a character they don't want to see like the Princesses. We travel as a group with friends who have a young daughter. She is now 6 years old and I still have a few years of having a companion. The last two trips I went on were without any kids. In 2011 I stood in almost every line I could find with Duffy to get his picture taken with the characters. I was making a book for my great nephew with Duffy. Then in February for our 20th anniversary DH and I stood in line for as many characters as we could to get our pictures taken. We had a ball!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

My kids are pretty good about humoring me if I want photos. They know I don't have the patience to stand in line for every character. I try to prioritize what we want most and not stand in very many long lines. Older DS always rolls his eyes at home when I talk about character pictures, but I think he's genuinely smiling in every one I can think of.

******Switching gears, is everyone as happy as me that Disney is buying Lucasfilm?? If Lucas is going to sell, I'm glad Disney got it. Behind Disney, I'd rank Star Wars among my favorite concepts. My father took me to see Star Wars when it first came out -- I was not quite 5. I cannot imagine taking a kid that young to Star Wars today. Despite Darth Vader nightmares I grew to love the series. I rode Star Tours for the first time when it was still in soft openings in December 1986. I rode the old version for the last time the weekend before it closed in July 2010. Bookends! We rode the new Star Tours 3D at WDW last year and I'm excited to ride it again at DLR because I heard it's even better!

*And* Lucasfilm also includes Indiana Jones, another all-time favorite of mine. (I know, I have weird taste in movies for a girl. I also love James Bond movies. )

If you come back tomorrow, I promise a boatload of Halloween photos!! Cute little kids in costume!! DCA Halloween stuff that no longer exists!!

PHXscuba
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #36
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm in. Now back to catch up.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #37
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm in. Now back to catch up.
Welcome aboard!

I need to go catch up on your WDW trip. We had so much fun there last October!

PHXscuba
Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
My kids are pretty good about humoring me if I want photos. They know I don't have the patience to stand in line for every character. I try to prioritize what we want most and not stand in very many long lines. Older DS always rolls his eyes at home when I talk about character pictures, but I think he's genuinely smiling in every one I can think of.

******Switching gears, is everyone as happy as me that Disney is buying Lucasfilm?? If Lucas is going to sell, I'm glad Disney got it. Behind Disney, I'd rank Star Wars among my favorite concepts. My father took me to see Star Wars when it first came out -- I was not quite 5. I cannot imagine taking a kid that young to Star Wars today. Despite Darth Vader nightmares I grew to love the series. I rode Star Tours for the first time when it was still in soft openings in December 1986. I rode the old version for the last time the weekend before it closed in July 2010. Bookends! We rode the new Star Tours 3D at WDW last year and I'm excited to ride it again at DLR because I heard it's even better!

*And* Lucasfilm also includes Indiana Jones, another all-time favorite of mine. (I know, I have weird taste in movies for a girl. I also love James Bond movies. )

If you come back tomorrow, I promise a boatload of Halloween photos!! Cute little kids in costume!! DCA Halloween stuff that no longer exists!!

PHXscuba
I'm super happy about the merger. There was a link on fb to Eiger's press/phone conference talking about the merger. How Lucas knew Disney would take good care of his branded icons. Something like "we know iconic characters and how to preserve and protect them".

One of our favorite, although HOT, Disney vacations was to DHS for Star Wars Weekend. It is well worth the trip for any Star Wars lover. There is a link in my signature if anyone cares to see what my family looks like sweating like pigs while having pictures taken with Wookies.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

As promised ... cute kids in Halloween costumes (warning: sugar overload)

This is not a Halloween costume but it is one of my all-time favorite pictures of B, who is now 13 with stick-straight hair. They did the Mickey Mouse March tap dance for her first dance recital. Now she's en pointe.

My younger daughter K was Tinkerbell at 4 and Cinderella at 5.

B doing her best Jasmine impression at age 7.

This is B (right) with her BFF. BFF is the daughter of my BFF (who went to Disneyland at Christmas with me a couple years ago). We both bought this Sleeping Beauty costume for our girls without knowing it! They still dress alike without meaning to!

My younger DS S made a very cute Tigger. DH saw me uploading this photo last night and remarked again how cute DS was in it (remember Tigger is DH's favorite)

Same DS as Captain Hook a couple years later.

This year, B is going as Katniss from Hunger Games (she looks really good as her), K is a bumblebee, and S is a ninja. We don't let B or DS16 trick-or-treat (they're taller than most of the people handing out candy!) but DS16 will likely wear a Darth Vader mask and help me hand out candy, and B and her cousin are taking a friend's little kids around for her.

More pictures later!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I don't think those kids could be any cuter!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #41
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Okay, my ghoulish friends, I am back after a quick detour to our elementary school's Halloween parade. Those weird cover-your-face stretchy "morph suits" seem to be all the rage for little boys this year. Ugggg and ugly.

So I promised more pictures ... Our last multi-day Disneyland trip as a family was October 2009. I was very excited for all of the fall goodies. DS4 still calls the Haunted Mansion "Jack's House" based it being HMH during his first visit!

The giant Mickey pumpkin. DS4 pointed out every Mickey pumpkin the whole trip. Oddly enough, it didn't get old -- maybe because I was equally enthralled.

The kids always cooperate better for the posed shots if I let them do a couple goofy ones too.

Now on to vintage DCA!!

My kids were especially fond of the candy-corn cactus because we live in Arizona!

Happy Halloween to all!!

PHXscuba
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #42
kaoden39
Hugs

I love seeing the kids in costumes. My great nephew is one of the Avengers and his two best friends are also Avengers. So cute!

I love the picture of the Golden Gate Bridge with the candy corn. I really miss it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
Carolwoodpr
DIS Veteran

First, I am thrilled with the new Disney acquisition. I too am a female lover of all things Star Wars, Indiana Jones and James Bond.

I am also the only female in my little family of 3. Since my son was born I have really gotten back into princesses (I am 46) and my son, age 10 now doesn't like them anymore. But my heart would truly break if he ever went to Disneyland and didn't want to see my favorite Mouse.

And I am a big fan of your pre-trip report, thanks for posting!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #45
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love seeing the kids in costumes. My great nephew is one of the Avengers and his two best friends are also Avengers. So cute!

I love the picture of the Golden Gate Bridge with the candy corn. I really miss it.
Since I only saw it in person once, I can't say I "miss it," but I liked it. Too bad they can't find a way to incorporate some of the giant candy into Bugs Land during Halloween. Maybe Heimlich's Candy Train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolwoodpr View Post
First, I am thrilled with the new Disney acquisition. I too am a female lover of all things Star Wars, Indiana Jones and James Bond.

I am also the only female in my little family of 3. Since my son was born I have really gotten back into princesses (I am 46) and my son, age 10 now doesn't like them anymore. But my heart would truly break if he ever went to Disneyland and didn't want to see my favorite Mouse.

And I am a big fan of your pre-trip report, thanks for posting!
Welcome aboard, Carolwoodpr!! I'm glad someone else shares my oddball tastes! I blame/credit my father for many of my likes (including DL, if you see the first page of this PTR). I usually say how much I am like my mother in organization and temperment, but you just made me realize I am really more like my Dad in things I love -- all those movies, plus reading, chocolate, Disney, etc.

And I've found 10-year-olds to run hot and cold on anything and everything. I don't have very many good ideas for DD10's Christmas this year because she is in between a kid and a teen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I love sharing pictures. I am biased in thinking my kids are adorable (and growing up to be handsome and beautiful). It sure helps that they're cute on the days I want to strangle them! x4

PHXscuba

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: