Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #331
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Love the photos.

I only have 2 kids and they can be good and goofy too. My small DD has never learned that her significantly larger older DB can manhandle her. She can really irritate him. Ah, the teen dealing with a younger DSis.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #332
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
Love the photos.

I only have 2 kids and they can be good and goofy too. My small DD has never learned that her significantly larger older DB can manhandle her. She can really irritate him. Ah, the teen dealing with a younger DSis.
Seems to be universal, then. I am the oldest and always wanted an older brother. I think DD10 will really mis him when he goes off to school in a year and a half.

DH and I were discussing plans for later this year and he said he might have a continuing education course in Irvine in November. I could go with him and spend a day at Disneyland! Here's hoping it's the second or third week of November so I can see all the Christmas stuff.

PHXscuba

p.s. I should have time to put up another TR post sometime later tomorrow (Monday).
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #333
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
...DH and I were discussing plans for later this year and he said he might have a continuing education course in Irvine in November. I could go with him and spend a day at Disneyland! Here's hoping it's the second or third week of November so I can see all the Christmas stuff.

PHXscuba

p.s. I should have time to put up another TR post sometime later tomorrow (Monday).
Depending on when the education course takes place in November, you'll at least see some of the Christmas stuff...probably not the hotels' decor, and probably not the Candlelight Ceremony or any of that (maybe not even the holiday parade and holiday fireworks, depending on what happens with a potential party), but you'll see the Cars Land and Buena Vista Street holiday stuff, which is lots o' fun! And you'll be able to snag the real (not the impostor Slow Churned variety) peppermint ice cream at Gibson Girl, as well as the free peppermint bark samples at Ghirardelli!

Did you decide if you were going to make a trip over to Catalina in July? If so, when in July would you go? The Express is renewing the free boat ride for one more year (thanks to the 100th birthday of Avalon), so I'm taking advantage one more time in July.

I loved all of the cute photos in your last post!!! Love the black t-shirt (you know I'm a sucker for a black t-shirt!). The photo with your DH kissing you on the cheek is adorable!

Your friend Marilyn (the now-former CM) looks very familiar to me. I am almost certain I saw her last year. I may have even spoken to her for a quick minute. I did not spend too much time in Cars Land in December, so I would imagine I didn't see her then (though it is possible). I spent tons of time in Cars Land in November and in June, so I probably saw her on one of those trips!

Why did Marilyn stop working for Disney if it was a dream to work there? Did she only intend to work there for a few years?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #334
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

PHXscuba-

can you give us some more opinions on the Paradise Pier Hotel ?
love to know how long a walk it took you to get to both parks....
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #335
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
PHXscuba-

RalphMouth -

As we await PHXscuba to come back and share her other opinions of the PPH and how long it took her to get to the parks, I wanted to throw this one scenario out there so you'll have a general idea of the distance from the PPH to the gates of the parks.

I hope PHX doesn't mind - I was going to wait until after she got back here and commented before I said anything, but I may not remember to post again tomorrow or I may not have a chance to post. This was my experience in 2012:

Last December I was in my Paradise Pier Hotel room on the 6th floor. My friend called me. She and her husband were just getting on the tram at the Mickey & Friends parking structure right at that moment. We agreed to meet outside of the entrance to California Adventure. We hung up. I brushed my hair, grabbed my jacket, bag and camera and exited the room.

I walked down the hallway to the elevators. I didn't have to wait long. I went out the PPH's front entrance (past the valet parking guys), walked down Disneyland Drive to the crosswalk and crossed the street to the Grand Californian Hotel. I walked into the lobby of the GCH, followed the signs to Downtown Disney and followed the stretch of Downtown Disney to the Security tent. They checked my bag and I proceeded onward to find a spot right outside of the California Adventure entrance. I looked around. My friends had not arrived yet. And they were not right on my heels. It took several minutes for them to show up.

So, basically, it took me less time to get from my room at the Paradise Pier Hotel to the gates of California Adventure than it took for my friends to get from the tram stop at Mickey & Friends to the same location. Admittedly, I walked fast (I was alone, so I could walk faster than if I had been with people) and I knew exactly where I was going. Plus, I didn't have much of a wait for the elevators on the 6th floor of the PPH, which is not always the case for some guests.

All tolled, I think it usually takes me about 10-12 minutes to get to the gates of either park from the PPH, but give or take a few minutes depending on whether I'm alone or waiting for elevators, stoplights or whatever, and depending on how fast I am walking. I was certain that my friends would beat me to California Adventure on that evening, so I picked up the pace. On a normal day when nobody is waiting for me, I might slow it down a little so I can look around and take in the atmosphere of Downtown Disney or the Grand Californian.

I'll be curious to hear what PHX says about how long it took her (not counting the first time when her family got lost and took a wrong turn!), and if she agrees on the varying factors that can affect the time (elevator wait time; stoplight wait time; speed of walking, etc.)!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #336
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
PHXscuba-

Welcome to RalphMouth!

I am sorry I didn't get more picture of the PPH. It's hard with us spreading out and taking over to get anything that doesn't look like a scene from "Oz." I thought it was a great location and a good hotel -- not perfect but the location and early-entry perks are HUGE reasons to stay there.

I totally agree with Sherry that the walk was very pleasant -- out the doors, across the street, and through the fabulous Grand Californian. If you're going to DCA, you come into the park near Grizzly River Rapids. For Disneyland, you come out of the GCH halfway down DTD, near World of Disney, and it's a short walk to the security tables.

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel three years ago and the walk from the PPH felt as short or shorter, maybe because you don't walk through as much of DTD?

I would ballpark it as 10-15 minutes max, and that's walking with an 8-year-old and keeping 6 people together (it's like herding cats sometimes ) I should add that we walked down the north stairs from the 5th floor, going out the north door and bypassing the elevators and lobby. If you have a high floor or a stroller, it will add a little time.

PHXscuba

Last edited by PHXscuba; 04-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #337
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Herding cats!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #338
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Depending on when the education course takes place in November, you'll at least see some of the Christmas stuff...probably not the hotels' decor, and probably not the Candlelight Ceremony or any of that (maybe not even the holiday parade and holiday fireworks, depending on what happens with a potential party), but you'll see the Cars Land and Buena Vista Street holiday stuff, which is lots o' fun! And you'll be able to snag the real (not the impostor Slow Churned variety) peppermint ice cream at Gibson Girl, as well as the free peppermint bark samples at Ghirardelli!

Did you decide if you were going to make a trip over to Catalina in July? If so, when in July would you go? The Express is renewing the free boat ride for one more year (thanks to the 100th birthday of Avalon), so I'm taking advantage one more time in July.

I loved all of the cute photos in your last post!!! Love the black t-shirt (you know I'm a sucker for a black t-shirt!). The photo with your DH kissing you on the cheek is adorable!

Your friend Marilyn (the now-former CM) looks very familiar to me. I am almost certain I saw her last year. I may have even spoken to her for a quick minute. I did not spend too much time in Cars Land in December, so I would imagine I didn't see her then (though it is possible). I spent tons of time in Cars Land in November and in June, so I probably saw her on one of those trips!

Why did Marilyn stop working for Disney if it was a dream to work there? Did she only intend to work there for a few years?
Sherry,

I probably won't make it to Catalina this summer. It would be just me and the younger 3 kids, and that's both expensive and a lot for me to manage for a long day. We will probably go to CA mid-July, but it's TBD.

So is November -- I don't have dates for anything yet. I've committed to helping my son and the marching band, so I have to know all those dates for games and competitions in the fall before I know when I can get away to DLR or anywhere else.

Marilyn has been a character handler and I think worked mostly in DCA, so you probably have seen her somewhere. She's very friendly, so I can easily see you and her striking up a conversation. I believe she plans to go back to Disney, but whatever new business opportunity she has is probably incompatible with staying at Disney full-time.

Off to work on my next update!

PHXscuba
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #339
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Day 3, part 3 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

Day 3, part 3 -- A Day in DCA (March 11, 2013)

This should probably wrap up the first day, unless I get really longwinded ...

We previously left off on our way back to the hotel before our Goofy's Kitchen dinner. This was to be DS8's special birthday treat -- and he wanted it ON his birthday, so dinner it is.

We arrived just before our reservation time at 5:00 and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't busy. I paid for our meal using my AP and they were ready right away to take our picture with Chef Goofy. Our friend Marilyn's husband, Charlie, works as a supervisor of the Photopass photographers there, so we said hi to him.

The girl who had my camera started snapping right away as we met Goofy. Points to her.

We got a good family picture and then I requested one of the birthday boy with Goofy.

It turned out really well, considering that it's hard to get a great, genuine, posed smile out of DS8 right now.

We were shown to our table, which was in the little upstairs nook to the right just as you enter the restaurant. There weren't many tables full yet and for awhile we had the nook to ourselves, which was nice as my kids traipsed back and forth to the buffet.

Our first visitor was Minnie Mouse!

I LOVE this picture of my girls in Minnie shirts with Minnie! This may make it into the "favorite photos" frame.

And here's where I learned something about fur characters that I never knew -- they can't speak, but they CAN make noises!!

Don't tell Mickey, but Minnie was smitten with DS16. After taking photos with the younger kids, she came over to him and started making kissy smoochy sounds at him!! Once I figured out what she was doing I couldn't help laughing as she fawned all over DS. He took it in stride. It was hilarious!!

Next came Pluto in his personalized apron (which didn't stop some clueless people on our last visit from calling him "Goofy")

When Aladdin came over we told him we had just seen his show. He told us Genie keeps him up to date on all of his pop-culture references. Those are the kind of interactions I love -- spontaneous and unique.

Cinderella dropped by and she was really sweet and princess-y with DS. I was just glad he didn't snub her -- I think he was a little in awe.

I think DS8 may have had food in his mouth for this picture, which fits with the character. When DD10 asked Chip where Dale was, he pantomimed that Dale was off sleeping somewhere.

DD10 and I couldn't resist the giant strawberries at the buffet. And yes, her eyes are really that blue.

The waiters came by with a cupcake and to sing DS a happy birthday. He was so full by this point in the meal that we had to help him eat it! I'm really glad I didn't buy the treasure chest cake for $15 because it would have gone straight into the hotel fridge.

By now we had been there about an hour and we were stuffed. There didn't seem to be any more characters about to come by, and I could tell the family was starting to get antsy. We probably might have seen another character or two if we were willing to wait, but 6 was sufficient for my family.

While I really enjoyed our meal and the interactions, 5 adults and 1 child (with AP discount) came out to a staggering $241 after tax and tip. That is A LOT of money. Unless one of the kids specifically requests it, I think we will probably skip character meals for the most part and focus on regular sit-down meals -- in contrast, our Carnation Cafe lunch later in the trip was $60.

We took our printed photo package back to the hotel and used the GCH entrance to re-enter California Adventure. My AP photo still didn't show up, so I showed my drivers license again (sensing a trend here?)

We retrieved our jackets and the kids wanted to go on Screamin' before they closed it down for World of Color. At a little before 7:00 it only had a 10-minute wait!!

Screamin' at twilight is awesome!! So we rode it twice!! I will only subject you to one set of Photopass pictures, mainly for the silly faces.

Yep, they all belong to me.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure was a walk-on, so we rode it twice too. I am glad to see Disneyland returning to its roots and creating more family-friendly dark rides. It's not the best ever, but I found plenty to like. I'm not the type to ride something over and over, but twice in a short period really allows you to get the whole picture of a ride when your head is swiveling back and forth.

With long lines at many big rides, we opted to spend some time in Bugs Land. We went to the It's Tough to Be a Bug movie. The kids saw it in October 2009 on our trip and no one was scarred for life, so I knew they would be OK. They were prepared for the bee sting in the back of their seat (although we still can't figure out how they recess it back there). But DD10 didn't remember the "bugs under your seat" effect and we got a genuine squeal/scream out of her when they ran through!

We hit Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. When DH was laughing after I took this picture I had to look at it to see why.

If he weren't so handsome ...

... I probably wouldn't claim him!

The older kids wanted to ride the bumper cars, so we waited in line. Honestly I think we waited more time for some of the Bugs Land rides than Screamin' that night. I hate slow loaders.

***This part is kind of gross, so if you don't want to read it, resume after the next set of asterisks.**

We were just about to board when the guy in front of us scoops up his little boy and runs ACROSS the surface of the ride to the exit. "Poor child," I think, "he must not be feeling well." We are starting to crowd the entrance when the CM tells everyone to step back. As my perspective changes, I see that the slick floor of the ride now has some wet patches ... all they way to the exit. Apparently the little boy couldn't hold it, so the father rushed him through the ride to get out. This caused them to shut down the ride while they cleaned the floor. So we had waited 15 minutes and and never got to ride. I will not repeat that evening's mental tirade against the father who thought going through was a better course of action.

After our not-ride of the bumper cars, we did the Ladybug Boogie and I managed to keep down our $241 dinner by spotting on outside objects. But when the family decided that the Flik Flyers were next, I graciously excused myself -- two spinning rides in a row are one too many for me. Instead, I took a few notes on my phone and checked my e-mail.

During their ride, the fireworks started going off across the esplanade, so it must have been about 8:40. We had accomplished a lot that day, and I wanted to be there for 8:00 EMH at Disneyland in the morning, so we decided to go back to the hotel, accompanied by the sound of the fireworks.

I had to stop at the PPH front desk to get my World of Color Fastpasses that they couldn't print the day before. By the time I got up to the room, the kids were practically in bed and crashed quickly. DH and I stayed up a little longer and I got organized for the next day. But we too crashed early that night.

PHXscuba
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #340
cptmemo
Earning My Ears

Reading your trip report has me excited for our trip in June! Yay! And your kids seem like awesome kids--I'm still trying to get my DS11, to switch to a band instrument instead of sticking with the cello I want a band kid!
cptmemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #341
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmemo View Post
Reading your trip report has me excited for our trip in June! Yay! And your kids seem like awesome kids--I'm still trying to get my DS11, to switch to a band instrument instead of sticking with the cello I want a band kid!
Glad I can spark someone else's excitement while holding off my own post-trip letdown. It won't be long until you are there too!

Depending on how far back you read in the pre-trip report (I don't expect anyone starting now to go back 20+ pages), you'd see that I am a crazy band mom of 3 instrumentalists -- DS16 plays French horn, DD13 plays clarinet, and DD10 just started on the flute last fall. I told my kids they could play anything they were willing to carry themselves!

Several of my son's friends play a string instrument in orchestra and another instrument for marching band (or color guard). There is a lot of overlap for music-loving kids.

PHXscuba

PHXscuba
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #342
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Day 4, part 1 -- I know you, I walked with you once while in AZ (March 12, 2013)

Day 4, part 1 -- I know you, I walked with you once while in AZ (March 12, 2013)

OK, you've gotta stop a moment and admire today's title (above).

Not bad, huh? It will all be explained, in this very post.

6:30 once again came earlier than I liked, but the sheer amount of things we'd accomplished the previous morning had me cracking the whip to get the kids out of bed and headed toward the gates.

This morning there was a line when we got to the security tables. I relaxed a bit when I realized we'd arrived just as they were opening up. We got through and lined up near the left turnstiles. They waited until right at 8:00, counted down, and then let people in.

Big surprise (NOT), my AP photo still wasn't showing up.The gate CM overrode it after checking ID and we were off.

What's the first rule of rope drop at Disneyland? Peter Pan first. So that's where we headed. The line was fairly short, and guess who was a switchback in front of us?

DD13's friend M, whose mom Teri I had seen in DCA the previous day! The girls were 13-year-old-level-of-glee excited to see each other.

I thought Peter Pan, and couple of other rides, seemed darker than usual. Cost-cutting on the lights, maybe?

M waited for us after Peter Pan and decided to ride Dumbo and Mr. Toad with us.

After visiting Toad and Dumbo, we noticed that Matterhorn (which hadn't opened right away) was running the Fantasyland side, so we got in line. The boys rode together, DD10 rode with DD13 and M, and I climbed in with two random women. Seven makes an awkward tour group.

Matterhorn wasn't as rough as I remembered the old version, but it's still miles from smooth. Amazingly, DS8 (who hated it the last two trips) liked it this time.

By this point we had been leapfrogging M's family all over Fantasyland. We'd get off a ride and see them getting on another, then vice versa. They got off Matterhorn a few minutes after us and I tried to think of a way to gracefully exit with my family intact, fearing either DD13 would beg to go off with M or we would suddenly have a third daughter. I really just wanted some family time. Luckily their family was headed toward DCA and we parted without any grief.

I sent the family into line for the Astro Orbiter, another spinning ride I try to avoid. It was just before park opening, so I waited near the Star Tours FP machine, which is right by the Buzz Lightyear entrance.

I had a really odd interaction with the CM working the Buzz greeter spot.

CM: Why don't you just ride Star Tours right now? It's a really short line.
Me: (glancing at the 15-minute posted wait and the line out the door already) No, my family's on Astro Orbiter and we'll ride later.
CM: You really don't need a Fastpass.
Me: (ignoring him)

The clock mercifully ticked over just then and I pulled 6 Fastpasses under his disapproving look. It was just weird, like why would he discourage me from getting a FP I so obviously desired?

The family was still in line when I got the FPs and DS8 decided at the last minute that he didn't care to ride, so he waited with me.

The crane, it mocks my desire to ride Big Thunder

We rode Buzz Lightyear after Astro Orbiter. DD10 and DH's photo disappeared, but guess who got the high score?

Not me, not the two video-game-addict boys, but DD13!! You go girl!

We sat down in the center island near Buzz for a bit to eat a snack out of our bags (because my kids were starving by 9:30), and who did we see coming out of Buzz? Another family we know in AZ! The father is an athletic trainer who helped me fix up my knee when it was out of whack last fall and I was delighted to report how well it was holding up. They were on their way to DCA to meet up with some other family members and I stressed that they needed to get RSR FPs right away before they were gone.

I went to grab Space Mountain FPs as soon as our window opened and then we could also use our Star Tours FPs. I believe we were the first people to use them that morning, because they had both sides of the lines full and it didn't give us much advantage. So I guess the grumpy CM was sort of vindicated. Lesson learned: Using your FP when it's the very first one of the day isn't the best use. Wait 10 minutes or eat another Mickey bar.

We decided to hop the train in Tomorrowland and take it around to ToonTown. Since the Main Street Station was still under renovation, we didn't stop, but waited longer at the New Orleans Square station as they moved the trains around the stations.

When we arrived at the ToonTown station, I set a brisk pace. Not because I was in a hurry, but because I didn't want DH and DS16 to repeat the giant-boy-on-shoulders picture (see the bottom of page 9 in this TR if you want the backstory). I think I heard DH mention it, but I just kept walking like I didn't hear them!

I wasn't sure if we were going to visit Mickey at his house, but the wait was posted at 5 or 10 minutes so we took a chance.

Mickey's house is always so fun to walk through, especially when you're not in a big hurry. The air conditioning was FREEZING throughout, though.

We finally got to see our host and he was gracious as usual. I wish we had taken the pictures with our jackets off, but I think my lips would have been blue if I did.

The Gadget Coaster isn't much of a thrill after riding the likes of Screamin', but we shrieked together as a family, and it made for a really funny picture of DS16.

His knees overlapped the front of the tiny Gadget cars!! He had indentations in the front of them when we got off. This will probably be his last ride for a long time. (Side note: I need to call my 6-foot-4 brother and warn him, because his son isn't too far from being big enough to ride this)

DS8 insists he needed to blow up ToonTown like his sister had on a previous trip.

The kids were starving again and I thought we'd get some ice cream or something ... only to find out that there is NO food in ToonTown until 11 a.m. I think this is a mistake -- while the land had been open less than an hour, some people (like us) had been in the park for 3 hours and had worked their way back there. I understand not having everything open or stuff freshly made, but one cart with frozen treats would have been nice.

We thought we'd have time to do a quick Spin with Roger Rabbit before we starved to death, but the line we got caught in was shades of previous-day-Monster's-Inc. While I got a little impatient, it's been years since I walked the whole queue and there are some funny gags back there.

Will we ever get something to eat? Will we die of hunger in candy-colored ToonTown, mere steps away from a closed counter service? Will I get back to writing this before next week?

Stay tuned to find out this and much more in our next installment!

PHXscuba
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #343
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Random Dis-ness for the weekend:

1. DD10 (currently playing "You'll Be in My Heart" for her piano recital late this month) has also added "Kiss the Girl" as part of a flute trio. I MUST get her to practice more ... I don't know why my kids think they will be able to magically play a piece without effort?

2. DS16 leaves tonight for Magic Mountain for a quick trip with the Physics Club. He was trying to pump me for info and I realized I hadn't been there in almost 20 years! That kid has been gone so much I think he's slept out of his bed more than in ... and he's doing a triathlon in southern AZ next weekend with friends.

3. I had lunch with my BFF a couple days ago and she said her family is getting APs this December when they go! So we will have three months of overlapping APs and have agreed in principle to go together early next year!

4. I peeked at DH's possible continuing ed course and it is the first weekend in November. Not exactly perfect for a Halloween or Christmas-theme trip, but I may not even go with him if it conflicts with too much at home. I wish the fall dates would hurry up and fill in, but I probably have another month before that happens. I'll STILL have them before the Disneyland hours, though!!

Well, I probably won't have another trip installment ready until Sunday/Monday with getting the photos ready, on Photobucket, and text written.

Have a magical weekend!

PHXscuba

Last edited by PHXscuba; 04-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #344
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Day 4, part 2 -- I know you, I walked with you once while in AZ (March 12, 2013)

Day 4, part 2 -- I know you, I walked with you once while in AZ (March 12, 2013)

When last we left off, my kids were threatening to eat the plastic houses in ToonTown because they were "sooooo hungry." Now I knew they weren't going to starve, but there's something annoying about knowing there's food all around you but none of it open!

The clock hit 11 and were finally got fed! Cotton candy for DS8 and ice cream cones for the rest of us. By this time, our Fastpasses for Space Mountain were in the second half of the return hour, so we decided to walk and eat at the same time. Amazingly, no one lost their snack and we survived the force-march to Tomorrowland.

The photo gods were smiling on us and we caught everyone on camera with a reasonable look on their face. Odds of that happening? Too high to calculate. We got another FP to ride again later.

We thought it would be a good time of day to take some photos in front of the castle. We found a Photopass photographer and once again, he gave us a mini photo shoot. These are only about half of what he took:

DD13's favorite color has been purple for several years, and she wanted a picture with the beautiful blooming trees (they look more purple in real life).

Of course, DD10 the Chip and Dale lover had to get her picture too ...

We wandered over to Snow White's grotto. I wanted pictures of the girls (who did Snow White for their dance recital last year).

While I was taking it, I noticed some of the world-famous animatronic ducks.

(for those of you wondering if I'm completely losing it, the duck joke is an old inside joke between DS16 and I whenever we see the ducks at Disneyland ... I've shared it here on the DIS but not in this TR)

About this time one of the princesses showed up with a horde of people trailing her, so we quickly ducked into Fantasyland. I saw the Heraldry Shop and knew sword-loving DH would appreciate it. We found this suit of armor. I'm not sure if it's intended for photos like this -- I've never seen any posted -- but it was perfect. DD13 had to boost DD10!

We walked back through the castle and decided to check out Adventureland. The Jungle Cruise was using the upstairs queue and I told the kids that was a no-go to ever get in line if the line went upstairs. We couldn't get FPs for Indiana Jones because we had already pulled one for Space Mountain.

I figured I'd better get my treasured Treehouse photos so we headed upward. We had it all set when a little girl coming down the stairs photobombed our first attempt!

Second attempt -- DS8 looking away.

I finally jumped into a photo (by this time we were holding up the line) and it's my favorite of the group. Even the lighting cooperated better. This one's definitely going in the favorites frame.

We hopped into line at Pirates of the Caribbean -- you never wait long for that, right? Well, unless the ride has a problem and all the boats back up. We waited a long time in sight of the loading dock. I kept thinking, "why couldn't it have been five minutes later? I'd be sitting down, and I could look closely at some part of the ride!" When we finally rode, I noticed the final pirate-chasing-woman-in-circles scene was dark and not moving -- repairs, maybe?

Can you believe I've made it this far and we still haven't had lunch? Granted, lunch was later after all of the morning snacking.

PHXscuba
Old 04-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #345
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

PHX -

You must have read my mind. I was just going over your previous TR installment before I commented on it, and then up popped another installment as I was about to sign in!

I've just developed an icky headache in the last 20 minutes and am waiting for the Advil to kick in, so forgive me if my comments seem random and totally out of sequence!

First of all - YAY! You got your Treehouse pictures! They're so cute.

I know about the Animatronic ducks! You've mentioned them in my TR. They are quite ever-present in the parks, too. The little ducklings are sooooo adorable.

I didn't know about the no-food-before-11:00 a.m. thing in Toon Town, but I agree that it's a silly idea to do that (especially in a land where there will be a large concentration of children)!

I have never seen a photo like the ones you took at the suit of armor in the Heraldry Shop (or is it Shoppe? Maybe my mind is stuck in Ye Olde Medieval mode or something.). In fact, I've been in that shop while scouting out Christmas trees for Tree Quest, and I'm not sure if I even saw that particular suit of armor. I saw another one outside, but not that exact one.

The flowers around the Partners statue -- from what I can see -- are gorgeous! I love, love, love those pink & purple (and is that magenta too?) colors! They really stand out. And they complement the colors of the blossoms on the tree so well, too, or the tree complements the flowers. One or the other.

So IF you were to go to DLR for a day in November, it would be somewhere over the weekend of 11/1-11/3? Well, you will see some Halloween stuff coming down, and you'll see some Christmas stuff going up but you're right -- it's not the prime time for either Halloween Time or the holidays! At least you'll get to ride Haunted Mansion Holiday and smell the gingerbread centerpiece in the ballroom.

I had to chuckle about you not wanting to even entertain the idea of the son-upon-shoulders photo in front of Toon Town and keeping a steady pace to not encourage them. I don't blame you. It is way too risky for anyone who has had back problems/disc problems -- even if there has been surgery -- to put anyone on their shoulders who is not a toddler!

I may have forgotten something I was going to say...if it hits me, I'll come back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: