Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #286
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I like the title I will miss the food shots but I totally understand. I get a lot of this "you are in so much troooouuble....you started eating before mom got a picture"
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #287
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]

Things you WILL and WON'T see in this trip report:

-- You won't see a lot of artful landscape photos of park icons, etc. My family is in about 95 percent of the pictures. If that's not what you're looking for, there are some great park photos on lots of other trip reports. This one is mine, mine, mine, as the seagulls would say.

-- You won't see many photos of what we ate, except for a few cherished snacks. My family thinks I'm weird enough anyway without me taking pictures of their food, and I honestly don't think I could have held back the hungry hordes from their plates at most meals.

-- You will see lots of Goofiness. I swear every time I reviewed photos on the camera, someone was making a loopy expression, on purpose. We also did some funny poses on the ride photos.
I could have written that! Except that I'm a terrible writer! Looking forward to the report.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #288
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Haha I have plans the same as you!! When we hit WDW in October for the TOT 10 mile run, I have very big plans to either scheme myself into an AP for WDW, or a premier pass for both parks!! I am going to use the 'coast to coast' runner's medal as a ploy, and maybe a Christmas DL trip so we can see the ride makeovers as another ploy to get Brian to agree.

It's not that I wouldn't be 'allowed' to upgrade on my own, just the fact that I wouldn't have anyone to go with if he doesn't upgrade too.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #289
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

In for your TR.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #290
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
The Prologue (and disclaimers)

I am almost ready to start the real trip report ... tonight if I get some time. But I thought I'd start with a short intro for those who don't want to wade through 19 pages to see how we got here!!

We traveled to Disneyland March 10-14. We stayed in the Paradise Pier Hotel and had 4-day parkhoppers. My original plan was to scheme my way into an AP -- and that dream miraculously came true!!

My family consists of me, DH, DS16, DD13, DD10, and DS 7-turning-8, who shall be referred to as DS8 for consistency's sake throughout our journey. Special guest appearance on our third park day by ....? Photos of us and the kids are all posted on the first page of the pre-trip report, but don't worry, you'll be seeing lots of them soon enough!

-- You won't see a lot of artful landscape photos of park icons, etc. My family is in about 95 percent of the pictures. If that's not what you're looking for, there are some great park photos on lots of other trip reports. This one is mine, mine, mine, as the seagulls would say.

-- You won't see many photos of what we ate, except for a few cherished snacks. My family thinks I'm weird enough anyway without me taking pictures of their food, and I honestly don't think I could have held back the hungry hordes from their plates at most meals.

-- You will see lots of Goofiness. I swear every time I reviewed photos on the camera, someone was making a loopy expression, on purpose. We also did some funny poses on the ride photos.

-- You will get my opinion on what was great, what was missed, what was worth it and what wasn't. I have visited enough to have a good idea of what kind of a standard we can hold Disney to.

I am excited to start writing. You should see my Sanskrit notes -- I'm a bad typist to start with, and I so cannot type on an iPhone keyboard!

PHXscuba

p.s. I think I have a title for the TR -- watch the thread title to see what I came up with. OoooOooo) suspense!
PHX -

That's a very cute title! You're good at coming up with titles - I'm still hoping to one day be able to use the "Nightmare Before Christmas" title that you suggested for my December 2011 TR (even though it would mean that my trip would have to go awry in some way to merit that title!).

Don't we know who made the special appearance on Day 3? You mentioned earlier that you met another DIS'er in line for RSR (I'm not mentioning her name because I don't know if you are building the suspense as to who it is). Or is there someone else who made an appearance?

It's always a fun idea to let people know up front what they will or won't see in a TR and what you did or did not get accomplished on the trip, but I think that the majority of folks who read these TR's have families. Thus, they want to read about and see photos of what other families like yours did so they can apply whatever information they gather to their own trips. So, my point is, I would be willing to bet that people would much rather see photos of families enjoying the parks in different ways (like we will see in your TR!) than see artful landscape photos in a TR -- because those family photos are more applicable and comparable to their own trips!

I'm a bad typist, too! Yay! Bad typists unite! The problem is that now that I've been struggling with typing for so many years, my actual handwriting is even worse.

I'm eager to start reading about your trip! It's hard to believe it has now come and gone. It seems like a short time ago when you first had the idea that you might try to go to DLR in early 2013.

If you start plotting to make a Christmas time sojourn to the parks with your new AP, come join us in the new Superthread!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 03-21-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added in omitted word
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #291
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm in too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #292
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
In for your TR.
Welcome Wiigirl!! Thanks for catching the train as it's leaving. This part should be much more interesting than the months-long lead-up to the trip! At least I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
PHX -

That's a very cute title! You're good at coming up with titles - I'm still hoping to one day be able to use the "Nightmare Before Christmas" title that you suggested for my December 2011 TR (even though it would mean that my trip would have to go awry in some way to merit that title!).

Don't we know who made the special appearance on Day 3? You mentioned earlier that you met another DIS'er in line for RSR (I'm not mentioning her name because I don't know if you are building the suspense as to who it is). Or is there someone else who made an appearance?

It's always a fun idea to let people know up front what they will or won't see in a TR and what you did or did not get accomplished on the trip, but I think that the majority of folks who read these TR's have families. Thus, they want to read and see photos of what other families like yours did so they can apply whatever information they gather to their own trips. So, my point is, I would be willing to bet that people would much rather see photos of families enjoying the parks in different ways (like we will see in your TR!) than see artful landscape photos in a TR -- because those family photos are more applicable and comparable to their own trips!

I'm a bad typist, too! Yay! Bad typists unite! The problem is that now that I've been struggling with typing for so many years, my actual handwriting is even worse.

I'm eager to start reading about your trip! It's hard to believe it has now come and gone. It seems like a short time ago when you first had the idea that you might try to go to DLR in early 2013.

If you start plotting to make a Christmas time sojourn to the parks with your new AP, come join us in the new Superthread!
The "surprise appearance" is not a DISer. I saw Cristy on our first park day.

And yes, I'm definitely planning a Christmas-time visit. For sure.

I can't believe I made it through college and years in journalism with my bad typing skills, but I survived. I type about 50 wpm (with two fingers) but it would be cut in half if you count mistakes!

Random Disney notes for the week before I start into the TR:
1. The DDs just got their music for their piano recital -- DD13 is playing a POTC theme and DD10 is playing "You'll Be In My Heart" from Tarzan -- one of DH's favorite (big PHil Collins fan).
2. DS16 is back in California on his band trip. He took my Photopass+ card to get some more goofy ride photos with his buddies. So I can't order my CD til his weekend photos show up. He found out right before leaving that they get to go to DTD on Friday night as well as the parks Saturday.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #293
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Day 1 -- Arizona to California

Day 1 -- AZ to CA (Mar. 9, 2013)

I am such a mean mommy. I made my kids do their Saturday chores before we left -- vacuuming, bathrooms, yard, etc. DH dropped off the dog at the boarding place.There was no way I was coming home to intelligent mold, thigh-high weeds, and dust bunnies impersonating my Labrador.

Plus, we couldn't even leave until 3 p.m. My nephew was having his 8th birthday party, and he and DS8 are practically twins. So we took DS8 to his cousin's and then packed up during the party.

Those of you who read the PTR report (back on page 16) saw my poor van that was in an accident. I have had a rental van since (still a week until it is done being fixed). I have packed MY van's trunk with 6 people's cruise luggage for a week and it barely crests the backseat! We started loading the trunk of the Dodge rental and quickly realized that it has much less space than our Honda. I only had three large suitcases and a rolling cooler! FAIL. So we re-arranged a few things, divided them differently and got it all in eventually. Don't get me started on the backseat legroom.

We picked DS8 up from his cousin's party, made everyone use the bathroom one last time, and topped off the gas tank (which I also discovered is smaller than mine). On the road leaving Phoenix's East Valley about 3:30. No traffic leaving Phoenix for a change.

We ate lunch at the McDonald's in Blythe. They gutted it last summer and pretty much started over and it is very nice. The kids were really hungry and gobbled their food fast. The GPS said the van was only stopped for 13 minutes!!

I realized it was getting dark quickly and that I'd better take a few photos before I lost the light. I think DS16 looks handsomer-than-usual in this picture.

We got lucky the cloud cover came down low, cutting down on that time when the sun is right in your eyes heading west.

I love taking pictures of clouds and sunsets. I have a whole album of sunset/cloud pictures from our trip to Maui last year.

Ahh, that moment when the mountains finally block the sun for good in the evening. The little lone cloud reminded me of the Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" that played before "Up."

DD13, illuminated by the glow of her iPod Touch. Very Haunted Mansion.

Thanks to the army of electronic gadgets we took along, the ride was pretty peaceful and DH and I actually got to talk some. We rolled into Huntington Beach around 8:30 CA time (9:30 AZ time), meaning it only took 6 hours; about the best time we ever make.

We threw all the kids in bed and talked to my parents for awhile. Right around 9:35, we heard the muffled thumps of the Disneyland fireworks from Anaheim and I got even more excited.

Best line of the evening, from DS8, of course: (passing the prison out in the middle of nowhere along I-10): "So that's where you go when you cross the law?"

PHXscuba
Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #294
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I love the sunset photos (you know I'm a sunrise/sunset/dusk fan!)! It's always fascinating to watch interesting cloud formations in the sky.

I was wondering about the status of your van, so you answered my question. You still have one more week until you get it back?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #295
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

love the sky pics!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #296
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I fought the law, and the law won.

Road trips on the way to vacation are the best. So much excitement.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #297
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Quote:
The Prologue (and disclaimers)

These two made me LOL. Sounds like my trip report. I seldom think to take pictures of our food, whether at home or "abroad..." and my kids are in most of my pictures too. THey would be in all of them, probably, if I wasn't taking some pictures with thoughts of having pics for the "ABC's of Disneyland game."

Excited to follow your TR and see how it all goes!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #298
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I always think that the trip is about the family. Plus so many times I just forget to take pictures except of the family. Love the start of the trip report.

I didn't realize that the Honda had more space. That may be the van I get next then.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #299
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I love the sunset photos (you know I'm a sunrise/sunset/dusk fan!)! It's always fascinating to watch interesting cloud formations in the sky.

I was wondering about the status of your van, so you answered my question. You still have one more week until you get it back?
10 days to settle with the other lady's insurance (which I just found out is the high-risk kind for people who have bad driving records ), 10 days to get it disassembled and enough parts to tell how badly it was damaged, new damage estimate and need more parts, now 10 days until I get it back! NO FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I fought the law, and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I always think that the trip is about the family. Plus so many times I just forget to take pictures except of the family. Love the start of the trip report.

I didn't realize that the Honda had more space. That may be the van I get next then.
I'm not going to bash the Dodge Caravan because there are a few neat things about it, but I LOVE my Honda -- it's my second Honda van. The trunk has a deeper well and it's longer too. PM me if you want more comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
These two made me LOL. Sounds like my trip report. I seldom think to take pictures of our food, whether at home or "abroad..." and my kids are in most of my pictures too. THey would be in all of them, probably, if I wasn't taking some pictures with thoughts of having pics for the "ABC's of Disneyland game."

Excited to follow your TR and see how it all goes!
If I was traveling solo or just adults I would have many more artistic photos -- I actually love taking them despite my little Canon point-and-shoot. But the go-go-go of a family vacation doesn't really lend itself to quiet contemplation of a subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
love the sky pics!
Thanks. I can't believe I caught anything through the window at 75 mph. Lucky I got the pictures before the bugs clotted the windshield!

PHXscuba
Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #300
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Which Canon camera do you have? Canon point & shoots are good little cameras! I use one. Mariezp uses one. Deejdigsdis uses one. Point & shoots are much better than they used to be in the old, old days of digital cameras.

I just found a whole Point & Shoot photo thread over in the Photography section of the board, and some of those photos do not look like P&S pics at all. Some of them look like DSLR-caliber photos.

So the woman who hit your van had a bad driving record? Yikes. She should start taking the bus, before she injures someone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: