Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #226
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

So now I think I am getting greedy ...

I think my plan after we check into the PPH on Sunday afternoon is to get over to DL and activate both my AP and the Photopass Plus, so I don't have to deal with either later. If the weather's good the kids might swim, or just check out the hotel while I am gone. Then we'd likely eat in DTD and let the kids look in the stores.

But then I started thinking, and that's where I get into trouble. Our arrival time Sunday afternoon is fairly flexible. Once we get done with church around noon and eat lunch, I have a feeling I will be holding wild horses back from showing up at DL ... and the kids too.

So .... it would be about $75 to convert the rest of the family's 4-day parkhoppers to 5-day parkhoppers and go into Disneyland on Sunday night. We did this at WDW and went to Magic Kingdom even though we only stayed about 3.5 hours the first evening. Realistically if we headed to DL we would have about 5-plus hours and leave after the 9:30 fireworks.

Pros:
Fills up the evening
Get gate pictures taken w/o rope-drop chaos
Only night for fireworks and Fantasmic
See original DL before going to DCA the next day

Cons:
Fills up the evening -- no DTD or hotel time
Park will be really busy that night
Kids to bed later
Extra cost of upgrading

I casually ran the idea past DH and he said he was OK with it either way. If I did decide to do it, I probably wouldn't tell the kids or upgrade until we arrive so I can see what weather/health bring that weekend.

Anyone with thoughts on whether I'm going overboard and pushing it going into the parks on our arrival night?

PHXscuba

p.s. I was trying to explain the differences in the resort hotels to the kids. DD13 figured out we weren't staying at the GCH because of the higher cost. DH interrupted and said, "your mom and I will stay there someday -- not you all, just us." My handsome prince!
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #227
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Well that is a quandary...

I think if the park is going to be super crowded I'd let the family relax at the hotel and explore DTD whilst you go and do recon (and shop and take pictures) in the park with your AP.

Of course if the $75 doesn't break the bank it would be fun if you could make a show of Aladdin and then see the fireworks....

Basically I'm no help....
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #228
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I am also no help, but..... I am a grade A+ enabler!

1. I am always excited to go to the parks when I get there. I know that I have a hard time relaxing enough to sleep knowing that Disneyland is right there and I am not going in.

2. It is nice to walk off the traveling feeling and the opportunity to relax at the pool and visit the grounds is very inviting. You can visit the ground of all three hotels as well as DTD.

So, as I say I am no help!

And because I know you really didn't want to miss this!

Last edited by kaoden39; 02-25-2013 at 07:12 PM.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #229
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I came by on your PTR which is very interesting and I will come along and follow it. All of your photos are very nice.

If you are going to be at the DLR on the 10th of March which is a Sunday, you will be able to see RDCT fireworks and Fantasmic! on the other days during the weekdays since it is during Spring Break. So you will be able to see the fireworks and F! on the weekdays.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #230
kaoden39
Hugs

Pushing my luck with more treat for you!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #231
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Since you are somewhat flexible, I think I would spend the $75 dollars to see the nighttime shows the day you check in. Since you are not driving that far, I would think the excitement would not be tempered with time change and/or worn out travel issues. I would think it would be a great time to just enjoy looking around, have a nice dinner somewhere, then catch the nighttime fireworks and show.

How awesome, you will be there before you know it. So jealoius! Wish I was there now.
Lynne G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #232
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

PHX -

Do you happen to have the link to your Knott's Berry Farm info thread handy? One of my Disneyland at Christmas Superthread peeps won some tickets to Knott's and will be going later this year. I would like to be able to refer her to your Knott's thread.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #233
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Kaoden39, I refuse to even watch those clips. It's just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I came by on your PTR which is very interesting and I will come along and follow it. All of your photos are very nice.

If you are going to be at the DLR on the 10th of March which is a Sunday, you will be able to see RDCT fireworks and Fantasmic! on the other days during the weekdays since it is during Spring Break. So you will be able to see the fireworks and F! on the weekdays.
Hi mvf-m11c!! Thanks for following! Also thanks for making me check the official Disneyland calendar again. Until very recently, it was not showing fireworks and Fantasmic during the week. Now it is showing fireworks each evening (still no Fantasmic but that wasn't a priority this trip).

Right now I am leaning toward staying in DTD and the hotels, especially since we can see the fireworks during the week. I am the big fireworks lover and I think the kids would just want to ride something that night instead if we went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
PHX -

Do you happen to have the link to your Knott's Berry Farm info thread handy? One of my Disneyland at Christmas Superthread peeps won some tickets to Knott's and will be going later this year. I would like to be able to refer her to your Knott's thread.
Here it is. Thankfully I had a link to it in a response to a more recent thread, because search is down.

PHXscuba
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #234
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Today was NOT awesome.

I was on my way to a class this morning when someone decided to run a red light and smash into the front of my beloved black van. Once we determined that we were all shaken up but fine and got out of the street, my first thought was, "Crap!! I'm leaving for California in a week and a half!! Bad, bad timing."

The other driver was totally at fault and was ticketed. Thankfully she had insurance and it appears it will all get paid for, eventually. But I will have my rental van for at least 3 weeks while they sort it all out and get it fixed.

I already feel so behind and I lost another half-day sorting out the police, tow truck, rental, insurance company interview, etc. It happened right near my house and everyone knows my van, so several friends stopped by the accident scene (the cars were stuck together so we made quite a mess of the intersection for awhile) to be supportive and make sure I was OK.

All in all, except for the crummy timing, it could be a lot worse. I feel very lucky it hit in front of my door or I could be really injured. She was going pretty fast and didn't even see me -- no skid marks. I have great family and friends and the money to put a deposit on the $$$ rental.

Thanks for letting me vent a little ... all of you drive safe, OK?

PHXscuba
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #235
kaoden39
Hugs

I'm sorry I couldn't resist on the videos. I am a lame person. I watched them.

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad to hear you weren't hurt. I had that happen to me in 2006 when I getting ready to leave on a trip to southern California. He had no insurance, thankfully we have uninsured motorist. In the long run, I preferred having a rental vehicle and not putting those miles on my van.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #236
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Kaoden, I hadn't thought about the silver lining of not putting miles on my car. Thanks for the reminder.

I am actually posting this from my tablet as a test run for when I'm there so I can give a few live updates! Let's hope it works well.

PHXscuba
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #237
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Kaoden, I hadn't thought about the silver lining of not putting miles on my car. Thanks for the reminder.

I am actually posting this from my tablet as a test run for when I'm there so I can give a few live updates! Let's hope it works well.

PHXscuba

Glad to help!

I love my tablet for reading but I hate typing on it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #238
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Glad you were not hurt and glad it won't mess with your vacation plans.

Happy thought: Snacking on the treats from the cones in carsland!
Lynne G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #239
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

PHX -

I'm so glad you were not injured in that accident! Yikes! Judging by the photo you posted, it looks as if the red light-running driver had hit your van just a few inches to the right, you could have been in real trouble. I've been in an accident like that before - except that someone else was driving and I was the passenger - and the car who hit us missed plowing into my passenger seat by a few inches. It was very jarring and traumatic, but it could have been so much worse.

Thank you, also, for the link to your Knott's thread. I PM'd the link to the DIS'er who is going to Knott's in November. I couldn't use the Search feature to find it either. I knew that the thread was somewhere in my Subscribed threads but I have so many subscribed threads that I didn't know how far into them it had disappeared.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #240
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
PHX -

I'm so glad you were not injured in that accident! Yikes! Judging by the photo you posted, it looks as if the red light-running driver had hit your van just a few inches to the right, you could have been in real trouble. I've been in an accident like that before - except that someone else was driving and I was the passenger - and the car who hit us missed plowing into my passenger seat by a few inches. It was very jarring and traumatic, but it could have been so much worse.

Thank you, also, for the link to your Knott's thread. I PM'd the link to the DIS'er who is going to Knott's in November. I couldn't use the Search feature to find it either. I knew that the thread was somewhere in my Subscribed threads but I have so many subscribed threads that I didn't know how far into them it had disappeared.
Yes, I was very, very lucky it hit so far forward. My sister and her family were T-boned in a similar type of accident about 6 years ago and their side airbags deployed. They were all OK except my brother-in-law still has some minor hearing loss from the airbag. And it took 11 weeks for the cruddy insurance company to fix their van! My damage is less and I am hopeful it will be simpler.

But it was definitely jarring and traumatic. I was shaky for awhile and then really cold afterward when the shock wore off. It must have not been too traumatic, though, because I slept well last night (anxiety can give me insomnia).

And to top it all off, I just had to pick up DS7 early from school with a low fever and headache. I just can't catch a break this month!

I need March and my vacation to get here STAT!!

PHXscuba

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: