Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #151
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
You know, we've never done a "planned" family shot anywhere.....but then again, my 3 boys were 14-16-18 for their first trip. We added the 4 adopted and it's just never crossed my mind to get a pic of them to show the changes/growth at a specific spot at the parks. I love it!!!

TIGGER!!!!! nuff said.........
You can still do it! Find a favorite picture or two from this trip and decide to do it again next time. Or mention it to your son and his fiance that they could start a tradition of taking a picture the same place every time.

Our pictures weren't really planned in the beginning. We did it once and liked it, so we thought to recreate the same. We all LOVE photos and look at them frequently, so remembering a particular pose or place is easy. I got an iPad for Christmas and one main reason I finally pulled the trigger (other than being able to actually see the Angry Birds I am flinging) was to put all of our photos on it. Can you believe 11.5 GB of just photos? And that's after I culled them some!

I might post a few random corny ones now that I've got the good ones up.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #152
lsulindy
DIS Veteran
 
lsulindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
MY DS7 has the overplanner gene like me and seriously would probably plan out his whole birthday if I let him. And he doesn't forget anything, so it's not like I can make promises and not keep them later. Luckily he wants to see Carsland first because I want to do DCA that day.

I haven't looked into the Plaza Inn thing. I agree that we would eat better at dinner than breakfast too -- my kids are cold-breakfast people even here at home. I'm just not sure we'd eat $40 better, and it cuts our options way down.

The time-change advantage you have is that your kids will likely be up very early that first full day. If you do dinner, you could make a reservation but call and probably change it if it looks like you will be running late. Dinner is only more "worth it" if you think they won't be too tired to enjoy it after a long day. Your kids would probably be fresher at breakfast to enjoy the character interaction, which is really what you're paying for. Have I confused you enough?

PHXscuba
I completely get what you're saying. That's exactly my line of thinking. My kids are usually up at 6:30-7am. Even if we're up late the night before. A 7am breakfast ressie would be 9am our time. Even if they "sleep late", I'm thinking we'll have no problem getting to an early breakfast easily. On the other hand, if for some crazy reason they do sleep late (which NEVER happens), I don't want to wake them b/c I do want them to adjust to the time change somewhat. The Park doesn't open till 10am many days and if they're up and at 'em at 5am (our 7) I don't know what I'll do with them for 5 HOURS every morning! DH has admitted that he thinks they'll adjust immediately after that first park evening, and it won't be an issue at all. If we switch to dinner, I have no idea what time we'll be back from sightseeing and what time they'll get tired cranky and we won't be good judges of how long it will take us to drive from wherever we are back to Anaheim, so I'd rather just play it by ear rather than be stressing about a dinner reservation.
__________________
me dh ds (8) dd (6) ds (2)

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!


lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #153
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
I completely get what you're saying. That's exactly my line of thinking. My kids are usually up at 6:30-7am. Even if we're up late the night before. A 7am breakfast ressie would be 9am our time. Even if they "sleep late", I'm thinking we'll have no problem getting to an early breakfast easily. On the other hand, if for some crazy reason they do sleep late (which NEVER happens), I don't want to wake them b/c I do want them to adjust to the time change somewhat. The Park doesn't open till 10am many days and if they're up and at 'em at 5am (our 7) I don't know what I'll do with them for 5 HOURS every morning! DH has admitted that he thinks they'll adjust immediately after that first park evening, and it won't be an issue at all. If we switch to dinner, I have no idea what time we'll be back from sightseeing and what time they'll get tired cranky and we won't be good judges of how long it will take us to drive from wherever we are back to Anaheim, so I'd rather just play it by ear rather than be stressing about a dinner reservation.
I agree, I'd rather do the breakfast reservation and enjoy it than worry about dragging tired kids to dinner, especially if it's a birthday treat. Maybe 8 a.m. as a compromise? I always backtrack from where I want to be -- to get my family to an 8 a.m. breakfast at a nearby hotel would mean getting up about 6:30 -- and that's with older kids.

Even with 10 a.m. regular park opening, there is EMH every day that can get you in at 9 in one park or the other, which means you want to leave the hotel by 8:15, which means getting up and going earlier than you might think. I'd much rather have kids choose to be up early in order to make rope drop than to rush and be frustrated.

I feel like I'm probably overthinking/overplanning all of this, but it's something I can do right now ... since the park hours STILL aren't out! Today I did call the dog boarding place we use and get a reservation for our Lab to have her own "doggie vacation" while we're gone! She just needs one more shot updated ... that goes on the to-do list too.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #154
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran
 
tksbaskets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,027

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post

I feel like I'm probably overthinking/overplanning all of this, but it's something I can do right now ... since the park hours STILL aren't out! Today I did call the dog boarding place we use and get a reservation for our Lab to have her own "doggie vacation" while we're gone! She just needs one more shot updated ... that goes on the to-do list too.

PHXscuba
Over planning?? Is there such a thing?? I'm the chick that has a table filled out with park hours, where our 'target' park is, magic morning, etc. Planning is 1/2 the fun!

Thanks for sharing your planning phase. Good to know Fido is all set.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #155
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer
 
Markie Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 225

Awesome PTR so far. I love your pictures, makes me wish my parents had kept our trip photos so much more. Im from AZ so we would at least go every year when I was a kid. The Tarzan/Swiss Family tree pic idea is so cool. Looking forward the TR, your trip is so much closer than mine, so I'm sure its getting harder for you to wait.
Markie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #156
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Over planning?? Is there such a thing?? I'm the chick that has a table filled out with park hours, where our 'target' park is, magic morning, etc. Planning is 1/2 the fun!

Thanks for sharing your planning phase. Good to know Fido is all set.
I agree that planning is half the fun (or more!) My DH worries that I spend some much time planning that there is no way the trip can live up to what I've built up. Well, so far my planning for vacations has saved us a lot of time and money, even if everything doesn't go perfectly. And I have fun for months, not just one week of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Awesome PTR so far. I love your pictures, makes me wish my parents had kept our trip photos so much more. Im from AZ so we would at least go every year when I was a kid. The Tarzan/Swiss Family tree pic idea is so cool. Looking forward the TR, your trip is so much closer than mine, so I'm sure its getting harder for you to wait.
Hello, Markie Mouse! Welcome aboard!

I still can't believe I have no pictures of me at Disneyland when I was a teenager, considering how many times I went. I may have to raid my parents' albums next time I visit to see what they have that I don't.

My mother was orphaned by age 12 and all she had was one box of unlabeled photos of her parents and extended family -- that's it. So she was meticulous with taking and labeling photos and putting them in albums for us.

The waiting is hard but it is getting close now -- 44 days! How long until your trip?

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #157
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

I caved, I totally, utterly caved in ...

The family said no matching T-shirts like at WDW (check out our Tigger photo on the previous page). But I didn't make any promises about coordinating T-shirts!



Who they're for, left to right: DD13, me, DS7 (in front), DS16, DD10 (in front), and DH.


I had to go the outlet mall (Arizona Mills for my local readers) today to pick up something for DD13, so this is all her fault! Of course I never go there without stopping into the Disney Store Outlet. They have a great section of parks merchandise plus loads of cheap T-shirts. I walked out of the store with all 6 T-shirts for $55 after using my Disney VISA 10% off!! That $55 would probably buy 2 shirts at DLR!

I figure we'll wear them the first park day -- we take the most photos the first day, it's DS' birthday, and we'll be at Goofy's Kitchen.

I think this is going to be a surprise -- big question is when I should bring them out?

Maybe you can vote on it:

A. Give them the T-shirts the (Friday) night before we leave for CA as we finish packing.

B. Give them the shirts when we get to the PPH on Sunday afternoon (the day before they'll be worn)

C. Wait until they wake up that morning



PHXscuba

p.s. My two favorites are the ones for my daughters -- wish they had them in my size!
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #158
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran
 
tksbaskets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,027

I vote for 'B'. That way they can plan their outfit the night before
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #159
cristyhas3
Mouseketeer
 
cristyhas3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 142

I LOVE the shirts! My DD has the glittery Minnie one, too. I'd go with plan B, too.
__________________
~Cristy
Aaron, 7
Molly, 5
Nora, 3

Heading to the Happiest Place on Earth in March!

My Blog: www.sewmuchlikemom.com
cristyhas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #160
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
I LOVE the shirts! My DD has the glittery Minnie one, too. I'd go with plan B, too.
The glittery Minnie one was the one that really caught my eye and started me down the path ... bad shirt!

Since we are driving, everyone packing one more T-shirt isn't really a problem. We will also be the ones pulling in a rolling cooler with stuff for the fridge! And since I have been told the PPH parking garage doesn't have an elevator, we will be dropping off ALL the luggage, plus me and the older kids at the front entrance. How very chic of us!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #161
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer
 
Markie Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post

Hello, Markie Mouse! Welcome aboard!

I still can't believe I have no pictures of me at Disneyland when I was a teenager, considering how many times I went. I may have to raid my parents' albums next time I visit to see what they have that I don't.

My mother was orphaned by age 12 and all she had was one box of unlabeled photos of her parents and extended family -- that's it. So she was meticulous with taking and labeling photos and putting them in albums for us.

The waiting is hard but it is getting close now -- 44 days! How long until your trip?

PHXscuba
It almost 5 months for me. Its my DD first school summer vacation. I'm so happy I worked hard enough to buy enough tech to archive most of our memories. With the amount of cameras, lenses and software there should be no reason my kids won't have enough pics to look back on. I'm jealous I was never creative enough to think of doing a legacy pic, or a certain pic we take every trip that is unique enough it feel like our own spot.
__________________
Markie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #162
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,063

I was leaning towards "C" but after thinking for a bit maybe "B" is better. Then there is more time to coordinate what to wear with it.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #163
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran
 
Minnie Sue Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 749

Hello there!

I have just sat and read your whole report and enjoyed every minute of it! Your family is such a happy one and your pics certainly capture that! I am so envious that you have all those wonderful childhood memories from being in the park! My first visit wasn't until 1998 an I was 30!!! I suppose living all the way over here in Australia could have something to do with it!

There were lots of things you mentioned on the way that I found myself chuckling at and nodding my head in agreement. I still have the Gitchie Gitchie Goo song stuck in my head! We love Phineas and Ferb too, but especially Perry as he is Australian after all! I have to say that one of my favourites is "my goody two shoes brother, the favourite of my mother.........."!!!!!

We are back to Disneyland next year for the biggest trip we have ever embarked on! We will be visiting 4 castles ( Hong kong, Tokyo, WDW and DL ) and will be renewing our wedding vows in Vegas for our 20th anniversary I am keeping myself busy in the mean time by reading lots of Disboards material!!!

I am very much looking forward to reading along with the rest of your plans. I couldn't agree with you more in the fact that Disneyland need to release their information sooner. It can be very difficult trying to get things sorted, ( especially from overseas ) when you can only see things 6 weeks out. I like you, am an uber planner. And like you, am a super saver!!! Hence the having nearly 2 years to plan next years big trip!

I love the shirts you have and I am a huge fan of having special park shirts! My DD and I just did a mother daughter trip for Halloween last year, and I had 4 shirts made especially! She is nearly 16 and didn't want to wear any "made specially" ones, but was quite happy to wear Disney store purchased ones!!!

Oh, I am another vote for "B"!!!

Looking forward to more!
__________________
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #164
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I was leaning towards "C" but after thinking for a bit maybe "B" is better. Then there is more time to coordinate what to wear with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
Hello there!

I have just sat and read your whole report and enjoyed every minute of it! Your family is such a happy one and your pics certainly capture that! I am so envious that you have all those wonderful childhood memories from being in the park! My first visit wasn't until 1998 an I was 30!!! I suppose living all the way over here in Australia could have something to do with it!

There were lots of things you mentioned on the way that I found myself chuckling at and nodding my head in agreement. I still have the Gitchie Gitchie Goo song stuck in my head! We love Phineas and Ferb too, but especially Perry as he is Australian after all! I have to say that one of my favourites is "my goody two shoes brother, the favourite of my mother.........."!!!!!

We are back to Disneyland next year for the biggest trip we have ever embarked on! We will be visiting 4 castles ( Hong kong, Tokyo, WDW and DL ) and will be renewing our wedding vows in Vegas for our 20th anniversary I am keeping myself busy in the mean time by reading lots of Disboards material!!!

I am very much looking forward to reading along with the rest of your plans. I couldn't agree with you more in the fact that Disneyland need to release their information sooner. It can be very difficult trying to get things sorted, ( especially from overseas ) when you can only see things 6 weeks out. I like you, am an uber planner. And like you, am a super saver!!! Hence the having nearly 2 years to plan next years big trip!

I love the shirts you have and I am a huge fan of having special park shirts! My DD and I just did a mother daughter trip for Halloween last year, and I had 4 shirts made especially! She is nearly 16 and didn't want to wear any "made specially" ones, but was quite happy to wear Disney store purchased ones!!!

Oh, I am another vote for "B"!!!

Looking forward to more!
OK, so it appears 'B' is the most popular option. I think that will make it a surprise but just in case DS has his heart set on wearing something else on his birthday (probably his Perry the Platypus shirt) we can switch the days.

Welcome aboard Minnie Sue Oz!! Now I can claim a world-wide readership! I am very jealous that you will get to visit all of those parks next year. Is it all in one trip, both Asia and America?

More on the park hours, next post ....


PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #165
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!
 
PHXscuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blazing Heat, AZ
Posts: 2,521

All right, so here's a head-scratcher. As you all know, I have been obsessively stalking the Disneyland site for park hours. Our first park day finally went up this morning.

I was initially excited that DCA will open at 9:00, because that would mean an 8:00 EMH -- much better than the 7:00 I was projecting. But then I saw this (screenshot):



Have they ever done a two-hour EMH?? I have to think this is a glitch, that perhaps at one point they were going to have a regular open at 8:00 and the EMH was set from that. I reeeaaaallly don't want to get up for a 7:00 EMH, but wow! two hours would be great.

Stay tuned ... at least now I can start filling in some of the stuff like Aladdin, World of Color, etc. I am hoping they will post another new day for the next few days.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: