Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #136
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I love the then/now (or then/then as the case may be) with your DH and DS. Literally made me LOL.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #137
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I love the then/now (or then/then as the case may be) with your DH and DS. Literally made me LOL.
Glad we could give you a laugh. I may have to include more zany photos; heaven knows I've got them!

Tomorrow I will put up the next set; it's a little more traditional.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #138
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Glad we could give you a laugh. I may have to include more zany photos; heaven knows I've got them!

Tomorrow I will put up the next set; it's a little more traditional.

PHXscuba
Looking forward to it!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #139
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

So I apologize for keeping everyone in suspense over my next set of photos. Life has a way of getting in the way of Internet playtime!

To really understand this series of photos, you have to know my DH a little better. First, he is someone who loves Disney while he's there, and knows it makes me and the family happy (see my tag for something I said about it awhile back). I usually run a few of the big decisions by him -- where we stay, how many days, character meal? -- but he happily leaves the maneuvering to me.

The other thing you should know about him is that he absolutely LOVES tigers. He and I went to Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and I found a zoo there that would let you play with a baby tiger for an extra $10! He framed a set of these to go with the other tiger decor at our office.

So one of his very few requests for a Disney trip is a picture with Tigger, his (obvious) favorite Disney character.

With DS on our first family trip 12 years ago.

This picture was his screensaver for quite awhile, and our family Christmas card photo for 2009.

One of the main reason we did the Crystal Palace character meal at Disney World was to recreate the same photo (I had it on my phone for reference). Holy cow, can you believe how much my older kids grew in two years?! ... and DD13 has added a couple inches in the last 15 months since!

Needless to say, a trip to Critter Country for a Tigger photo is on my must-do list for the trip in March!

One more set of pictures to share this week ... I promise I saved the best for last.

PHXscuba
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #140
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I apologize for keeping everyone in suspense over my next set of photos. Life has a way of getting in the way of Internet playtime!

To really understand this series of photos, you have to know my DH a little better. First, he is someone who loves Disney while he's there, and knows it makes me and the family happy (see my tag for something I said about it awhile back). I usually run a few of the big decisions by him -- where we stay, how many days, character meal? -- but he happily leaves the maneuvering to me.

The other thing you should know about him is that he absolutely LOVES tigers. He and I went to Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and I found a zoo there that would let you play with a baby tiger for an extra $10! He framed a set of these to go with the other tiger decor at our office.

So one of his very few requests for a Disney trip is a picture with Tigger, his (obvious) favorite Disney character.

This picture was his screensaver for quite awhile, and our family Christmas card photo for 2009.

One of the main reason we did the Crystal Palace character meal at Disney World was to recreate the same photo (I had it on my phone for reference). Holy cow, can you believe how much my older kids grew in two years?! ... and DD13 has added a couple inches in the last 15 months since!

Needless to say, a trip to Critter Country for a Tigger photo is on my must-do list for the trip in March!

One more set of pictures to share this week ... I promise I saved the best for last.

PHXscuba
Those darn kids and all their growing! I fuss mine about it all the time.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #141
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

...DH is strong (and nuts), but this was only a little over a year after back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back. NOT smart. Thankfully there was no damage.

I will not be mentioning this photo when we go in March.

PHXscuba

PHX -

Okay, I have to admit that I love the idea of this picture^^, and I think it's great that your DH was game to do the reenactment years later! It sounds like he has a good sense of humor! Honestly, back in the days when I took photos of people instead of scenery, that's probably the kind of goofy thing that I would have hoped my friends would do - recreate a pose from years earlier! Then again, I have a warped sense of humor.

But...as a fellow sufferer of the dreaded disc problems in the back (and your DH probably knows the familiar and ominous 'popping' noise when the disc goes haywire upon injury - it's awful!), putting your son on his shoulders and back was probably not a wise idea at all! So, no, don't let him do that again!

Quote:

PHXscuba
I love all of the photos above - who doesn't love a cute baby tiger? - but I especially love the 2 family photos with Tigger! Those are wonderful - as I've mentioned before, you all are definitely a photogenic, happy, fun-looking bunch of folks!

Was it your DH who went to Catalina last year, with other family members? I recall you telling me that you were not going but someone else in your family was going to the island (to dive, right?). Or was it in 2011 that the trip took place?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #142
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Sherry: DH, DS16, my father-in-law, and one of my brothers-in-law met and went over to Catalina last July for two days of diving. It's the closest, easiest place to dive from here in AZ. although the water is cold! I stayed in HB and played with my cute little niece!

DH has been to Catalina several times and is going back in mid-June with a group of older Boy Scouts (DS16 and his buddies) to dive at the BSA camp in Emerald Bay (far side of Two Harbors). So they'll see a different side of Catalina. I probably won't go to SoCal that same week -- we wouldn't be with them and it's not a great week for us to visit -- but I might go to Huntington in July, might even take the 3 younger kids over to Catalina.

PHXscuba
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #143
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Ack! I had this whole post done and then the DIS froze and I lost it. Let's try this again ...

My last set of photos is my absolute must-do, smile-or-else, no-foolin' picture every trip.

It all started with this photo:

This is my mother, me, and my little sister. I was 5 years old. For some unexplained reason, I love this photo.

So the first time we took our son to Disneyland, I thought I'd have DH take a picture of us in the treehouse. DS was about the same age I was in the first photo.

And -- without any real intent -- it became tradition, adding a child each trip ...

Now the kids expect it and don't even give me trouble about it.

When we went to Disney World in October 2011, the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse was closed and I couldn't get a picture of the kids there. I am probably the only person who was disappointed to see that on the refurb list!

It is kind of a strange place to take a picture, but it's ours and it's unique. Honestly, these pictures mean more to me than any of our pictures with Mickey or in front of the castle.

I might even get myself in one of the treehouse pictures this trip after I get one with the kids!

Where is YOUR oddball photo spot that you take a picture of or in front of every trip?

PHXscuba
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #144
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Sherry: DH, DS16, my father-in-law, and one of my brothers-in-law met and went over to Catalina last July for two days of diving. It's the closest, easiest place to dive from here in AZ. although the water is cold! I stayed in HB and played with my cute little niece!

DH has been to Catalina several times and is going back in mid-June with a group of older Boy Scouts (DS16 and his buddies) to dive at the BSA camp in Emerald Bay (far side of Two Harbors). So they'll see a different side of Catalina. I probably won't go to SoCal that same week -- we wouldn't be with them and it's not a great week for us to visit -- but I might go to Huntington in July, might even take the 3 younger kids over to Catalina.

PHXscuba
That's true - I don't suppose there are too many diving spots in Arizona!

Though I'm not a diver, I have spoken to people on my assorted Catalina visits over the years (people who worked on the Island and people who were just visiting) who told me that the diving there is fantastic and that's why so many people keep coming back to dive every year.

Yes, Two Harbors is a whole different set-up than Avalon - that's for sure! I don't know if Two Harbors is still this way, but there used to be tons of bees or hornets buzzing about on that side of the Island. I guess that your DH and DS16 won't have to worry about all of those bees underwater, though!

If you DO end up heading to Catalina in July when you visit HB, be sure to let me know in case we end up there at the same time. If the Express renews the free birthday boat thingy I am going again in July!

Quote:
Ack! I had this whole post done and then the DIS froze and I lost it. Let's try this again ...

My last set of photos is my absolute must-do, smile-or-else, no-foolin' picture every trip.

It all started with this photo:

This is my mother, me, and my little sister. I was 5 years old. For some unexplained reason, I love this photo.

So the first time we took our son to Disneyland, I thought I'd have DH take a picture of us in the treehouse. DS was about the same age I was in the first photo.

And -- without any real intent -- it became tradition, adding a child each trip ...

Now the kids expect it and don't even give me trouble about it.

When we went to Disney World in October 2011, the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse was closed and I couldn't get a picture of the kids there. I am probably the only person who was disappointed to see that on the refurb list!

It is kind of a strange place to take a picture, but it's ours and it's unique. Honestly, these pictures mean more to me than any of our pictures with Mickey or in front of the castle.

I might even get myself in one of the treehouse pictures this trip after I get one with the kids!

Where is YOUR oddball photo spot that you take a picture of or in front of every trip?

PHXscuba
Once again, I love the concept of the photos - going back to the same off-the-beaten-path spot on each trip and getting a different family photo. And you're right - it is unique. There may be other folks who take family photos in the Treehouse but I never see them. It's not something that is commonly seen on this board, and that's great! I love to see things that are kind of different and haven't been done a million times! You guys definitely have some good photo ideas!

While I don't personally have one of those "oddball photo spots" to pose in front of on each trip, I do recall that a former client of mine told me that she and her family would pose in front of the Carnation truck on Main Street on every trip when she was a kid. Her dad would take photos of all of the kids in front of the same Carnation truck every year, to sort of chart the growth of the kids as time marched on. I don't know if that's an oddball photo spot, per se, but it's one specific photo spot (that wasn't the Castle or the floral Mickey) that they intentionally kept going to for photos.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #145
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

50 days until our trip!! (I told you I like round numbers!)

It is finally back to beautiful weather this weekend and I sat outside reading for awhile. I have a bunch of stuff looming early next week but I am deliberately playing hooky today and ignoring it all!! Hakuna Matata for me! <--- just because I've always wanted to use a Simba smilie!

PHXscuba
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #146
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

OK, consternation time ... DS7 (the birthday boy) and I (the overplanner) had a conversation this morning about what he wants to do on his actual birthday at Disneyland (our first park day).

Now I/we have always functioned under the "it's your birthday all week" plan as they celebrate with friends, family, and relatives who come in or out of town. My oldest two have June birthdays 12 days apart and we often have one family party for both.

But I guess 7 is a little young to understand that a character meal the day after your birthday (mom's original favorite plan) is not the same as ON your birthday. Nope, he wants the meal right on our first park day. I KNOW that despite whatever he tells me now, the kids will want to do rides first thing that morning and not breakfast. I also know they will feel the same about "rides for 2 hours and then brunch." We definitely woudl not get our money's worth even if I could drag them in. So I guess that leaves dinner on the first day, which means we are back to Goofy's Kitchen, the only evening character meal.

It's not that I don't like Goofy's -- we had dinner there when we went in Oct 2009 and everyone liked it. But I was maybe hoping to try something new. And playing with rough numbers, a Goofy's dinner is going to cost me about $40 more than a Surf's Up breakfast.

The things we do for our kids ...

PHXscuba
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #147
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I don't envy you these conversations. I understand him and his reasoning, part of it I am sure is his child honesty. I had the same basic conversation with my daughter when we went about a week before her 8th birthday. I explained that Disneyland understood that she wanted a party there but had to have it early.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #148
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, consternation time ... DS7 (the birthday boy) and I (the overplanner) had a conversation this morning about what he wants to do on his actual birthday at Disneyland (our first park day).

Now I/we have always functioned under the "it's your birthday all week" plan as they celebrate with friends, family, and relatives who come in or out of town. My oldest two have June birthdays 12 days apart and we often have one family party for both.

But I guess 7 is a little young to understand that a character meal the day after your birthday (mom's original favorite plan) is not the same as ON your birthday. Nope, he wants the meal right on our first park day. I KNOW that despite whatever he tells me now, the kids will want to do rides first thing that morning and not breakfast. I also know they will feel the same about "rides for 2 hours and then brunch." We definitely woudl not get our money's worth even if I could drag them in. So I guess that leaves dinner on the first day, which means we are back to Goofy's Kitchen, the only evening character meal.

It's not that I don't like Goofy's -- we had dinner there when we went in Oct 2009 and everyone liked it. But I was maybe hoping to try something new. And playing with rough numbers, a Goofy's dinner is going to cost me about $40 more than a Surf's Up breakfast.

The things we do for our kids ...

PHXscuba
Having the same dilemma here. We arrive the afternoon of dd's birthday. So, we could do Goofy's that night, but then we wouldn't really have any park time. Got dd to agree to a birthday breakfast the next morning (a non-park day). Made an early reservation so that we could eat before sight-seeing. But, DH wants to do dinner instead. He said that although it costs more we don't eat enough at breakfast, so dinner is more worth it. But, I don't know what time we'll be back from sightseeing. I don't want to rush us sightseeing to get back, but I don't want to make a reservation too late b/c I don't know how the kids will adjust to the time change. argh. decisions.

Have you thought about or looked into the birthday celebration at Plaza Inn? You could do that on his actual birthday and then maybe a breakfast later in the trip. I thought that was a good option for us, but we won't make it from the airport in time. It's between lunch and dinner time at the restaurant.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #149
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I don't envy you these conversations. I understand him and his reasoning, part of it I am sure is his child honesty. I had the same basic conversation with my daughter when we went about a week before her 8th birthday. I explained that Disneyland understood that she wanted a party there but had to have it early.
MY DS7 has the overplanner gene like me and seriously would probably plan out his whole birthday if I let him. And he doesn't forget anything, so it's not like I can make promises and not keep them later. Luckily he wants to see Carsland first because I want to do DCA that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Having the same dilemma here. We arrive the afternoon of dd's birthday. So, we could do Goofy's that night, but then we wouldn't really have any park time. Got dd to agree to a birthday breakfast the next morning (a non-park day). Made an early reservation so that we could eat before sight-seeing. But, DH wants to do dinner instead. He said that although it costs more we don't eat enough at breakfast, so dinner is more worth it. But, I don't know what time we'll be back from sightseeing. I don't want to rush us sightseeing to get back, but I don't want to make a reservation too late b/c I don't know how the kids will adjust to the time change. argh. decisions.

Have you thought about or looked into the birthday celebration at Plaza Inn? You could do that on his actual birthday and then maybe a breakfast later in the trip. I thought that was a good option for us, but we won't make it from the airport in time. It's between lunch and dinner time at the restaurant.
I haven't looked into the Plaza Inn thing. I agree that we would eat better at dinner than breakfast too -- my kids are cold-breakfast people even here at home. I'm just not sure we'd eat $40 better, and it cuts our options way down.

The time-change advantage you have is that your kids will likely be up very early that first full day. If you do dinner, you could make a reservation but call and probably change it if it looks like you will be running late. Dinner is only more "worth it" if you think they won't be too tired to enjoy it after a long day. Your kids would probably be fresher at breakfast to enjoy the character interaction, which is really what you're paying for. Have I confused you enough?

PHXscuba
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #150
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

You know, we've never done a "planned" family shot anywhere.....but then again, my 3 boys were 14-16-18 for their first trip. We added the 4 adopted and it's just never crossed my mind to get a pic of them to show the changes/growth at a specific spot at the parks. I love it!!!

TIGGER!!!!! nuff said.........
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: