Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
40 is not over the hill!!!! Its practically teenagerhoodom!! Cripes..if 40 is over the hill whats 50? 40,50,60... is prime time!
It was meant to be funny...come on laugh I'm not quite 40, but some of the days I have had lately, I sure feel over the hill.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #32
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Thyroid problems could cause the fatigue, fuzzy brain and feelings of depression as well. Has your Dr tested your thyroid?
Yes I was going to say the same thing. I have a thyroid issue so i'd know. Definitely try to get your thyroid levels checked. prior to being diagnosed I have most of those symptoms.

And quite honestly, i cant believe your Dr would prescribe prozac so easily. I'd get another dr.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

I did have my thyroid cked - but 6 yrs ago.

So bloodwork is something that needs to be done on a regular basis? I thought that was something only done when there may be a problem.

I do not go to a dr on a regular basis other than an obgyn - but I slacked last year there - so its now been 2 yrs there...plan to make an appt ASAP for that.

If I'm sick I'll go a doc in the box - an urgent care place. In 7 yrs we've lived here I think I've been to the doc 1or 2 times. - that's NOT counting the obgyn. and I was under a cariologist for a bit while preggo.
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #34
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post

So bloodwork is something that needs to be done on a regular basis? I thought that was something only done when there may be a problem.

I do not go to a dr on a regular basis other than an obgyn - but I slacked last year there - so its now been 2 yrs there...plan to make an appt ASAP for that.

If I'm sick I'll go a doc in the box - an urgent care place. In 7 yrs we've lived here I think I've been to the doc 1or 2 times. - that's NOT counting the obgyn. and I was under a cariologist for a bit while preggo.
Now, now OP--it's been 19 days since you made your first post with all of your symptoms. Based on the above, are you telling me you STILL haven't gone to the doc to get this checked out?

I am like you. I no longer go to the doctor unless I have to. As a result, I have no established relationship with an general practiction. We have one in town who is supposed to be "the best." I've been to him a few times and I just don't care for him so that does not help when I have a problem. I am established with an endocrinologist for my thyroid cancer but that's it. Oh and GYN of course.

Anyway, thyroid checks become part of a routine physical for a woman probably after your 40s. If you have an annual physical, it would be checked annually but, barring any symptoms, checking it every 5 years is good too.

Having it checked once in a lifetime is not standard. The thyroid gland can start to fail at any point in your life so you'd probably always want to get a baseline and then check it periodically, especially with symptoms like yours.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #35
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, bloodwork EVERY year.

A physical every year is advisable. That is generally when you get your blood work done. Testing for thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, and the basic stuff should be a yearly thing. I also insist on testing my liver because I have had bad readings in the past.

The key here is that you need a baseline for all of your stuff. The reason you go yearly is that you can compare the current results with last year results.

If you do not like your PCP, find one that you do like. I know how hard that it is. Urgent care is fine for a cold/flu thing however fatigue and other stuff should be handled with your PCP.

Now go, make an appt. ASAP.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Thanks for the info. No, I have not had my annual in 2yrs...time to go. I don't believe I have had my blood done in 6 yrs - with my last kid it seems like I had them ck my thyroid . My mom has been on synthroid forever now.
I can't compare my mom - she had a hysterectomy in her late 20s.

So, I need to request the bloodwork - I take it - they don't automatically do this as part of an exam? I need to ck my insurance & see how it's covered (if its not part of the yearly exam).

Will all those things be cked on one panel or do I need to specify all the things you mentioned (thyroid, b12, etc)?

I'm going to ck out the other thread
If they check your thyroid make sure they are not just doing the TSH test but doing the t-3 and t-4 test. I complained for over 10 years of the same things you are and I always got that my thyroid was normal. Well..last year I finally went to see an endocrinologist and they did the full work up and my thyroid was a mess. I was reading as hyperthyroid but had zero hyper symptoms, all my symptoms were hypo. I had my thyroid killed with nuclear medicine over a year ago and they are still trying to "fix" me. It caused so many other issues.

I also need to take prescription Vitamin D because my body does not hold onto the levels at all. Normally I take 1000 mgs a day but they test me every 3 months and the regular does nothing...so now they just keep me on the presciption stuff for 3 months at a time.

Unfortunately so many symptoms mimic the whole peri stuff and the doctors tend to poo-poo them because "you know you are over 40 and this is what happens as you get older".
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #37
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Now, now OP--it's been 19 days since you made your first post with all of your symptoms. Based on the above, are you telling me you STILL haven't gone to the doc to get this checked out?
This!

Go get that physical with a full thyroid panel not just TSH. Don't just accept not feeling well.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcarita
35 symptoms of perimenapause
Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
Irregular heart beat
Irritability
Mood swings, sudden tears
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
Loss of libido (see note)
Dry ****** (see note)
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Disturbing memory lapses
Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
Increased tension in muscles
Breast tenderness
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden bouts of bloat
Depression (see note)
Exacerbation of existing conditions
Increase in allergies
Weight gain (see note)
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
Changes in body odor
Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
Tingling in the extremities (see note)
Gum problems, increased bleeding
Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
Osteoporosis (after several years)
Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (see note)
A lot of these symptoms can easily be related to other factors including nutrition, personal care, aging, and a host of other things. Most of the femalepopulation hhave some ofhese "symptoms." People always want to blame it on menopause which find kind of annoying. Go to your doctor for a well-check. Blood work should included (It is with our insurance).

I'm 48 and still feel great! Live a healthy lifestyle and take 2000 IU of Vitamin D to help with your lethargic/sleepiness. Your doctor can fill in the other blanks.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
You can't take Prozac for one week a month...it is a drug that has to build up as well as wean off of...I would look at a new dr.
I have never heard of taking the medication for one week at a time. At the very least I would ask for more clarification on this.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
momoftwins

Frazzled Disney-lovin' Mom of twins!

Same symptoms

As others have mentioned, have them check your parathyroid, thyroid, and vitamin D. I have extremely low levels of D and maybe an issue with my parathyroid.

I feel so much better after taking mega doses of Vit D (prescription). My levels are still on the low side, but even still - I feel so much better.

Good luck.
Pop Century, BCV,Wonder Cruise, VWL - April 2005, Pop Century August 2005, Boardwalk Villas - June 2006, Boardwalk Villas - April 2007, BCV - Thanksgiving 2007 - Boardwalk Villas - August 2008, Boardwalk - January 2009 - Magic Cruise- November 2009, Boardwalk Villas- July 2010
momoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
I have never heard of taking the medication for one week at a time. At the very least I would ask for more clarification on this.
Even though that it is an "off label" use, I cannot see someone taking Prozac from your OBGYN UNLES you need confer with a psyche or PCP for this so you can be under a watchful eye with regards to how the med is working for you.

I would say that this is poor use of the medication to prescribe it that way.

After watching my family play medication merry go round, it is really better if you get it from a psychiatrist or a PCP whom you trust and see on a reg. basis.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Even though that it is an "off label" use, I cannot see someone taking Prozac from your OBGYN UNLES you need confer with a psyche or PCP for this so you can be under a watchful eye with regards to how the med is working for you.

After watching my family play medication merry go round, it is really better if you get it from a psychiatrist or a PCP whom you trust and see on a reg. basis.
SARAFEM is PROZAC and has been prescribed for PMDD for years now. It can be prescribed full-time or it has been proven effective with intermittent use. See below from the prescribing information:

Quote:
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Initial Treatment
The recommended dose of SARAFEM for the treatment of PMDD is 20 mg/day given continuously (every day of the menstrual cycle) or intermittently (defined as starting a daily dose 14 days prior to the anticipated onset of menstruation through the first full day of menses and repeating with each new cycle). The dosing regimen should be determined by the physician based on individual patient characteristics. In a study comparing continuous dosing of fluoxetine 20 and 60 mg/day to placebo, both doses were proven to be effective, but there was no statistically significant added benefit for the 60 mg/day compared with the 20 mg/day dose. Fluoxetine doses above 60 mg/day have not been systematically studied in patients with PMDD. The maximum fluoxetine dose should not exceed 80 mg/day.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I would do two things. First, go to the doctor and have every possibility completely checked out. Second, I would not take the advice of people on the Internet. Except for the part about going to the doctor that is.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #44
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
SARAFEM is PROZAC and has been prescribed for PMDD for years now. It can be prescribed full-time or it has been proven effective with intermittent use. See below from the prescribing information:
I get what you are saying however this poster does not go to the doctor. If you are going to take Prozac you need a working relationship with your PCP.

That was the point I was trying to get across.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #45
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I get what you are saying however this poster does not go to the doctor. If you are going to take Prozac you need a working relationship with your PCP.

That was the point I was trying to get across.
Oh, I didn't think the OP was even taking it anymore:

Quote:
I talked to my OBGYN about 2yrs ago I guess & she prescribed Prozac to take the wk right before my period....drugs scare me...so I took it the first month & not again.
I was mainly responding to a few posters and yourself who seemed to think it was oddball to take "Prozac" in this fashion (see below). It's not really and is often done at the GYN (I've seen the brochures in my GYN's office).

Quote:

Now, having cleared that up: I do agree that a psych is a better person to see for these meds. I think the SSRIs are quite potent, powerful and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: