Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

ok dis drs...whats up?

Let's see if you can figure me out.
I'm 40.
I am dragging every day, needing a nap...not necessarily long -around 2, if not earlier.
I don't drink caffeine
My memory has gotten terrible. I think its both long & short term. I can remember where I parked the car, but not why I went to the store. and I can't remember the conversation I had with you from this morning, but I may remember something random like you were cooking mearloaf for supper last wk.
I go thru bouts of depression - I don't want to get dressed...and usually don't...cry...and feel useless (ya know the no job, sitting around the house all day getting nothing done, nobody loves me, everybody hates me feelings...)
These seem to be PMS symptoms for the most part. But its not just PRE...often it's during & after still.

I talked to my OBGYN about 2yrs ago I guess & she prescribed Prozac to take the wk right before my period....drugs scare me...so I took it the first month & not again.

What do you DIS drs suggest?
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
I'm 40.
I am dragging every day, needing a nap...not necessarily long -around 2, if not earlier.
I don't drink caffeine
My memory has gotten terrible. I think its both long & short term. I can remember where I parked the car, but not why I went to the store. and I can't remember the conversation I had with you from this morning, but I may remember something random like you were cooking mearloaf for supper last wk.
I go thru bouts of depression - I don't want to get dressed...and usually don't...cry...and feel useless (ya know the no job, sitting around the house all day getting nothing done, nobody loves me, everybody hates me feelings...)
These seem to be PMS symptoms for the most part. But its not just PRE...often it's during & after still.

I talked to my OBGYN about 2yrs ago I guess & she prescribed Prozac to take the wk right before my period....drugs scare me...so I took it the first month & not again.

You sound exactly like me. Look for the perimenopause thread, it is on the first page today.

Seriously, it sounds hormonal.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Look up info about vitamin B12.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Yeah, it's called you're 40, you're over the hill. I'm right behind you, I'll be 40 next June.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Tinker'n'Fun

Here is the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2946684
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Yup, perimenopause.

Welcome to the club.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Go to the doctor and get bloodwork, specifically ask for a thyroid workup (and not just the totals, you need to know the free counts as well), also check B12 and iron. Just because it sounds like Perimenopause, doesn't mean it is. I think it's important to rule out the other stuff.

ETA: Also have your Vitamin D checked.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Thyroid problems could cause the fatigue, fuzzy brain and feelings of depression as well. Has your Dr tested your thyroid?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
woodkins
DIS Veteran

You can't take Prozac for one week a month...it is a drug that has to build up as well as wean off of...I would look at a new dr.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Go to the doctor and get bloodwork, specifically ask for a thyroid workup (and not just the totals, you need to know the free counts as well), also check B12 and iron. Just because it sounds like Perimenopause, doesn't mean it is. I think it's important to rule out the other stuff.
This is important. OP have you been to the doctor's for a workup lately? I no longer have my thyroid so I tend to forget about it. The thread I gave you will be a lot of support though. Many Dr.s will say you are not perimenopausal, but we are!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Get a physical with some bloodwork with your PCP. Rule out anything medical.

If it is mental then probably going on a anti depressant is not a bad idea. Prescribing them for 1 week a month is not useful and not good really. See a psychiatrist for that.

Then make an appt. with a counselor.

Are you able to work or volunteer?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
I'm 40.
I don't drink caffeine

PMS depression that lasts before, during and after your period is not PMS, it's depression. Rather than guessing around at what may be going on, I'd suggest you see your doctor for a medical work up. THis may be the beginning of perimenopause or low vitamin D levels or thyroid issues or anemia. All of these things can produce symptoms of fatigue and depression.The only way to know what is causing this is for the doctor to examine you and do some blood tests.

Don't take this lying down. Depression that goes untreated worsens over time. You may or may not need to take medication. Meds are great if they work for you, but there are a lot of other things you can be doing to help yourself. Daily exercise, even just a 15 min walk, can affect mood. So can eating a healthful diet. Doing something creative will lift mood--paint, pound clay, journal, play music, sew. Find a support group with others who are going through similar troubles. Learn to meditate--there are several good DVDs that will help you learn. Yoga is particularly good for people who have depression.

Just know this--your health is in YOUR hands. Nobody is going to come to your house, diagnose your condition and take care if it for you. You have to get up and call your doctor yourself. I'm not trying to be hard on you. I have suffered bouts of serious depression several times and I know how hard it is when your down in it. It seems like nothing will ever get better....which is true IF you do nothing. Find your doctor's phone number NOW and tape it to the phone. Tomorrow morning, first thing, call your doctor and tell them you think you are having depression and need to be seen. If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, you need to go to the ER *tonight*

Best of luck to you. It's not fun living this way, I know, but it isn't going to get any better until you do something about it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Sounds like peri menopause to me. When did your Mom go thru menopause? that will give you an idea if it could be starting.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I suggest you go to the doctor. I am over 40 (48 in fact) and I DO NOT feel this way at all. Your symptoms sound severe. It may be perimenopause but it would be serious case and I think it warrants investigation.

I have been profoundly hypothyroid before and never was that bad off, mentally, even though physically I felt bad.

Probably my iron deficiency made me feel the worst. Dull brained, sluggish, forgetful.

Anyway, no point in guessing. You need to have bloodwork done.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

As the others have said get the blood work ASAP

Do you have any sharp stabbing pains or itchiness because that is definetly a severe B12 deficiency.

Also if you have a need t chew a lot of ice then its severe anemia.

Hope you get the answers you need to start feeling better

Best of luck
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: