Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #46
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Forgot to change my font above... sorry to make you hunt for my text!

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Project 7 - Goodie Bags

On our very first trip with the kids, in November 2007, we put a goody bag in our hotel room from Mickey to each of them (we only had the two back then). This is now something we *must* do. This year the older kids are getting gift cards from Mickey .... This will be their money to spend however we want. We will buy all the snacks and pins - they buy the rest with this $$. It isn't a huge amount, but we buy one large gift each trip. So with us buying snacks, pins and one big gift, this should be a fun little treat. Most of all, it will force them to think carefully about what they buy and not ask for every last thing they see. At least, I hope so. It has worked in the past so fingers crossed it works again!

I ordered gift cards from Disneystore.com - Chip n Dale for AJ and Dumbo for Leah, of course.

** funny story below

Paige can't be trusted with a gift card, so she still gets the goody bag. Here is what I have collected for her so far:

I just love that autograph book. We haven;t done these in a few trips as no one had interest (which was nice). But at 3.5 Paige is the perfect autograph-hound age. I used to order books from eBay, so I never paid much attention to the park ones. This one has a spot for a 4x6 photo on the left hand side, and the autograph page on the right. You probably all know this already, but to me it was so cute!!!! I'm easily amused!!!!

** now, Leah no longer likes princesses. She is 8 and much too cool. Ha. But there is an Ariel story that is Disney lore in our family. I will share it with you here, excerpted from a past TR. Warning, don't drink anything while reading or you may snort it out your nose.

Here is the story. The part I am referring to is shaded brown. Let that serve as your warning.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #48
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Love the goodie bags!

We do the same thing with the GCs... The girls usually get their own to spend as they'd like. I usually purchase a TON of trading pins off of Disney.com when they go on sale, and then I also purchase them a pin with the year of our trip on it, a resort pin (if we stay at a new resort - which we always have) and one holiday specific pin. I usually always get them a hat/ears too.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #49
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

First of all~ You have a beautiful family.

Secondly~ I love your daily projects. I have no idea when we are going back to WDW( We are doing SeaWorld and Aquatica next June) so I should have a long time to decide what my daily projects should be. I think I love the planning almost as much as the trip.

Lastly~ Thank you for the warning about not drinking while reading the brown post. It most certainly would have ruined my laptop.

Can't wait to see what is in store next and to follow along with you for your TR.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #50
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Love the goodie bags!

We do the same thing with the GCs... The girls usually get their own to spend as they'd like. I usually purchase a TON of trading pins off of Disney.com when they go on sale, and then I also purchase them a pin with the year of our trip on it, a resort pin (if we stay at a new resort - which we always have) and one holiday specific pin. I usually always get them a hat/ears too.

D~
I love that your girls wil still wear the ears!!! I think I could talk Leah into it, but not AJ. I am just hoping I can get my brother and his bride to wear the bridge/groom Mickey ears!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
First of all~ You have a beautiful family.

Secondly~ I love your daily projects. I have no idea when we are going back to WDW( We are doing SeaWorld and Aquatica next June) so I should have a long time to decide what my daily projects should be. I think I love the planning almost as much as the trip.

Lastly~ Thank you for the warning about not drinking while reading the brown post. It most certainly would have ruined my laptop.

Can't wait to see what is in store next and to follow along with you for your TR.
Thanks!! I am so glad you are here to read along and keep it "reel" with me. hehe

The planning is fun, isn't it????

I am working on another project as we speak for today's update!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #51
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

OMG!! ROFL!!! I just read the Ariel head story... LOL... And I love your dd's reaction and how she'll just use the non-crowned Ariel head from now on... LOL

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

<hork>
<gag>
<heave>

hehe. Good memories. Seems so long ago!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #53
Alysa
DIS Veteran

What is it with kids putting stuff in the toilet?!?!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #54
SillyFamily
Mouseketeer

LoL I loved your brown story.

I am really enjoying your PTR. It makes me think of all the projects I need/want to do for my up coming trip. I am so thinking of making my own matching mickey shirts. If only i thought my dsis would wear one and not kill me.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #55
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
What is it with kids putting stuff in the toilet?!?!
It must be the water. Or the flush. Or maybe they just wanted to return Ariel to the sea. All drains lead the ocean, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyFamily View Post
LoL I loved your brown story.

I am really enjoying your PTR. It makes me think of all the projects I need/want to do for my up coming trip. I am so thinking of making my own matching mickey shirts. If only i thought my dsis would wear one and not kill me.
Watch out - it can get addicting! Before you know it you're forcing your peeps to change their shirt twice a day to get all your custom shirts worn!!!

Still working on today's project. The house is crawling with kids today so it's work 5 minutes, get distracted by a mess or chaos for 30. Repeat.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #56
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Project #8 - Kid Itineraries

I hate computers. I mean, I love them, but I hate them.

After slaving away at CS4 yesterday working on today's projects my computer decided to give me the blue screen of death. This is why I prefer my Mac laptops! However, I was working on the PC yesterday because it has a larger store of Disney clipart for my projects.

After cussing, shouting, sulking, pouting, gnashing my teeth, and oh yeah - cussing - I have decided to carry on with this post (a day late) and post some pics of the same project from previous trips.

Because we used to live in SC we used to drive to Disney World. To give the kids something to do on the 6 hour drive, I would make them kid-tineries.... Little picture-based schedules tailored for each, showing the fun we would have each day. They are now a requested staple. And now I have to make three! Here is an example from the trip we took in 2007:

The itineraries are glued to the front of their travel journal. I actually don't make these anymore, as the teachers send plenty of work that we end up rushing through like freaks on our plane ride home (I have the best of intentions, people, but we never get to the ubiquitous packet in the hotel.... does anyone?), but these were great on our earlier trips and make for a great memory.

Now because I was just looking deep into my Photobucket archives, I came across pics of my travel/planning notebook from 2007. This is something I haven't done in awhile... What are your thoughts on this? After so many trips, do you still use the planning notebook/binder? I have to admit, it's kind of fun to put together. So I could probably be swayed.

As an update, I found the cheap pop-up hamper. Yay! Good ole Walmart....

Since I am looking through these old Photobucket albums, I thought I would share a few pieces of nostalgia... Here are a few things my kids loved on their first trip that they won't be able to see this trip:

We will miss you, Mickey and Minnie house. We hope you're not sleeping on a bench somewhere on Main Street.

Please come back, Spectro. Please. Your slightly creepy music speaks to my soul. And MSEP speaks to my "it is late and cold and we have been at this all day so please don't let me fall asleep."

We won't be seeing you anymore, All Stars, ever since that husband and wife had that domestic dispute in the room next to us one night in 2008 and hubs declared "No More Values -- ever."

(As an aside, I'd like to thank that couple, as I have thoroughly enjoyed WL, POR and BC since then! And I am hoping to enjoy CBR this time! I am sorry we called security on you. Actually, I am not. Who screams obscenities for three straight hours?)

Have a great day, readers!!!! I am so thankful for each and every one of you - you are helping to make this planning fun for me again!

Last edited by Jiminy'sGirl; 10-10-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: My grammar weren't so good.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #57
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Oooo, those are great little itineraries! So cute!
And the journals sound like a great idea too!
I;m sorry you had to listen to people fighting for three hours - but glad for you that you got to go to WL instead (my favourite!)
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #58
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Yeah, Alysa, it was no fun. Luckily it was 2am- 5am and the kids slept right through because the language wasn't nice. We were shocked because it took security an hour to get there after our first call at 3:30am. We could hear them talking to the couple, then leave, five minutes later the fighting was back and even worse because now they were blaming each other for getting he cops called. SO we called again and this time they came back about 5am and took the male in the room with them.

Before this hubs had a "why pay for anything but Value" mentality. He then decided this kind of thing wouldn't happen in a mod or deluxe (as if), and now that he has actually stayed Deluxe he is angry that we are staying mod this time! ha! But when you are bringing along two extra adults (my parents) something has gotta give!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #59
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Project #9 -- Autograph Book Bag

I have messed with my ADRs. A lot. Does anyone else do this? Why do we do this? I get a little idea in my head and next thing you know we are eating all different stuff. The biggest thing I did was drop the Chef Mickey's ressie for 8:50 on our arrival night. Our flight leaves at 8am and the airport is 45 minutes away so I knew this was not a great idea. The next day is a full one at MK and MNSSHP that night so I don't want to ruin it with a late night the night before. But getting our dinner on with Mickey and Pals is important on our first day. I was stalking the ADR page of the Disney site but finally gave up. I ended up getting a lunch reservation for Chef Mickey's at 1:35 on Nov 2. I think after we eat this we will go back and rest a bit before the party that night.

Because we should arrive at CBR about 2:30 we will probably have a lte TS lunch in the food court while waiting for my parents, whose plane gets in about 3pm. I went ahead and made an ADR for Shutters that night at 6:30. I am not uber-thrilled about that meal but I figured between multiple arrivals, some pool time (weather permitting - we are Texans and we get cold), getting my Mom's ECV picked up and set up, etc, maybe it would be a good idea to stay put and chill and be ready for the big week ahead. Now, if we end up feeling energized and have lots of time on our hands we may head over to DTD and eat at EOS (yummalicious).

So... the project.....

I wanted to make a cute little bag with my fabric scraps to hold Paige's cute little pink Princess autograph book. And whatever else she wants to put in there. I have been teaching Leah, age 8, to sew a bit on he machine. She is very interested in making American Girl doll clothes. This was good practice for her. I really let her do just about everything. I helped straighten out her stitch a few times and ironed the hems. Nothing is finished on the inside and the strap got a bit sketchy but overall she did very well. I thought this was a great little introductory project. Prior to this she had only sewn straight(ish) lines on scraps.

Here is the front, with a little pocket for stickers, etc...

Here is the back, with a pocket to hold two sharpies. One will undoubtedly be pink.

And here it is hanging in my dining room....

I think Paige will be thrilled with it. And her big sister is so tickled that she made it herself. Of course, now I need to give it to Paige before we leave. If it shows up with the goodies from Mickey the big kids will be wise. Of course, I am sure they already are. But we all along with the ruse.... It's much more fun to believe Mickey is gifting us each time we arrive in WDW!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #60
Alysa
DIS Veteran

That bag is so awesome! She must be so proud of herself. And I LOVE that you let her do it all herself. That is so hard for me sometimes!
Tell her that her mom's Dis friends are so impressed with her skills!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: