Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
VAN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
We are a family of 5. We went to Mexico for vacation this summer, here are the bags we brought (flying Delta)...

3 checked bags (1 large, 2 medium). There was 1 empty bag inside our large bag, so on the way home, we had 4 checked bags.
Each kid had a backpack carryon.
I had a backpack with laptop, camera gear, and other electronics
DW had a small wheeled carryon that had 24 hours worth of clothing (and swimsuits). this is MANDATORY any time I fly.

Now, to save a little $$... we have the Delta AmEx card. That entitles us to 1 free checked bag each (up to 9 travelers). It's free for the first year. I got one in 2011 before our Disney trip (same luggage as above), cancelled it at the year mark and DW got one for our Mexico trip. So we have saved $300 in luggage fees alone.

In that year, DW got enough miles so we're paying for our plane tickets for vacation next year with miles ($400).

If you'd like some more information, let me know.
We also have a Delta AMEX card. Delta has a lot of flights in our area so we have taken advantage of the card many times to get free checked baggage and priority boarding. After the first year, there is a fee; however, we get a companion ticket annually and we use this to fly to Vegas every year. I enjoy getting the Delta miles as well, however, seem to be needing more than the advertised 25k for most itineraries.
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
danicaca
Mouseketeer

I know, I know, quit checking prices. I actually see other people posting - like nefritz, who got 6 tickets for $1300 - that is when I wonder if we should have waited! Thanks all who chimed in. I feel like airfare is a total gamble, and I am so not a betting person...
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Wow - thanks for all of your answers - I love this site! Now someone needs to talk me out of my buyer's remorse. When we first checked flights, it was around $1149 for us to fly Omaha to MCO. A couple of weeks ago, it was up to $2200. We kind of freaked out, but knew that prices had to go down, right? I checked again yesterday, and it was back down to $1600, so we decided to go ahead and book. Our total was $1666.44 including fees, taxes, and trip insurance. Some people say we got a good deal, others are saying we should have waited until closer to our trip. I was worried that if we waited, we would end up spending a lot more money than we wanted. Any thoughts? Did we totally blow it? Hubby is starting to second guess our purchase. Does anyone know if we got the trip insurance, can we cancel if we find a better deal? Just in case...
You cannot cancel or change without a $150 fee per ticket. Rarely worth it. After I buy the ticket, I just close my eyes and stop looking. It's better that way. What helps me is using yapta.com to watch the flight for about half a year. That way I know when there's a good deal. For my Aug flight I started watching from a year before. In January, the price dipped. It still didn't sound good enough for me and I waited. After that, it climbed and never dipped that low again. I bought when it went to a somewhat reasonable price. It dropped about $20 per ticket after that but that didn't worry me too much. It never got down to January levels again though....and frankly, the dip only lasted a very short while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN View Post
We also have a Delta AMEX card. Delta has a lot of flights in our area so we have taken advantage of the card many times to get free checked baggage and priority boarding. After the first year, there is a fee; however, we get a companion ticket annually and we use this to fly to Vegas every year. I enjoy getting the Delta miles as well, however, seem to be needing more than the advertised 25k for most itineraries.
I love the Delta AMEX. I gave up on the 25K award flights though - they are extremely rare for where I want to fly. Usually from Detroit to Orlando is around 35K to 40K. Having the Delta Amex though, I use Pay with Miles. Its awesome. A $250 flight costs 25K miles. One year my flight to orlando was just $150, so I flew with just 15K miles! This year, my flight was $280, so I paid with 28K miles per person. Much cheaper than a straight award flight. I love Pay with Miles...but it doesn't get much love amongst bargain hunters.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: