Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
lucifie
DIS Veteran

4 kids, 2 strollers

I'm just brainstorming here. We have 4 kids - a 9 year old with special needs, a 7 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We're looking into getting an adaptive stroller for the 9 year old, but we're trying to figure out what to do for the other kids. The 2 year old will definitely need a stroller. I had been considering bringing or renting a double stroller. Our current fleet of strollers includes a double stroller, but it's enormous and heavy and not something I'd want to lug around on the buses. Besides, the 4 year old is almost as big as the 7 year old, so even though I haven't tried it, I don't think he would fit comfortably.

The more I think about it, the more I think we might be able to get away with just two strollers - the adaptive stroller and a single stroller. The 9 year old won't need the stroller all the time. She can walk, but she just doesn't have the endurance for the amount of walking that will be required. She also gets overwhelmed in crowds, so it will be nice for her to have a little bit of space of her own. I'm sure the 2 year old won't want to be in the stroller all the time either, so I'm wondering if it will work out if we just plan to not go commando and let the middle two kids take a turn in the strollers if they get tired. We went to a much smaller amusement park this summer and we only had the 2 year old in the stroller and the other kids did fine. My major worry about this plan is if they're exhausted at the end of the day. I'm planning to take the Ergo carrier so in a pinch I can wear the 2 year old and have 2 kids in strollers. I think a 7 year old will be fine and the 4 year old probably will be too.

We're driving to WDW so I can always put the double stroller in the back of the van so it's there if we decide we need it.

Does this sound reasonable? Does it sound like we could get by without a double?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
disykat
DIS Veteran

I think it sounds like you have a good plan with the adaptive and the single stroller. Since you think your 9 year old won't need to be in the adaptive all the time, your 4 year old could have some turns in it. Your 7 year old will be fine, but could perhaps take a turn if it was empty.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
lucifie
DIS Veteran

There's also a possibility I could borrow a Sit & Stand, but from what I've seen it's almost as bulky as the double stroller.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I would go with your plan. My kids never used a stroller from 5 up and they were fine and we are go, go, go type people RD to close. The 4 yr old barely used the stroller and if I went with a 4yr old again I probably wouldn't even take one.
So I think 2 will be fine.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would just go with the 2 stroller. You can always rent another one if you really need to. Just keep a little money set aside for it, and if you don't have to spend it on strollers, extra fun money!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
4littleones
Mouseketeer

I have a great plan for you!!!

Look up Peg Perego P3, Martinelli, Pliko. These are pretty small sized single strollers with a very tiny built in foot board for a 2nd rider. I picked up a P3 and a Martinelli on my local craigslist for $25 and they have worked FANTASTIC for my crew of 4 kids (5, 5, 3 & 2)

If you can find a used Peg with a built in rider standing board for cheap and then the special needs stroller you should be good to go. The Peg folds up nice for the bus and very easy to maneuver. My husband didn't want to bring any strollers this trip (because he hated us have 2 double last time) but he want the strollers for everything on this trip. He is in love with these craiglist finds even more than me I think. We are able to fly around every park and not have to deal with slow pokes or kids getting lost. It has been awesome! So much better than the bulky double strollers we did last year.
From searching google images, Here is a nice shot of what the P3 looks like

**We drove also and we were able to have the 4 kids in the minivan and pack the back with our stuff and two of these type of Peg strollers and still be able to see out the back window.
Me DH DS(6) DD(6) DD(4) DD(3)

Last edited by 4littleones; 10-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.
4littleones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Definately take the Ergo. You may be surprised at how much the 9 year old wants the stroller. Though a much younger child, my 3 year old with amazing endurance was in her stroller the entire time due to security. So if your child gets overwhelmed with crowds, it may be used more than you expect.

With the Ergo, you have enough spots for all but the 7 year old - so it should be an issue.

*Is your 2 year old used to the stroller? Mine wasn't and I thought he would use the stroller some because my other two had at 3 despite not being used to it. But he refused. He also refused to walk. So I pulled out my sling and put my 2.5 year old in and that's the only way that worked. He hadn't even been in the sling for over a year!
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: