Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

Best dishes for new mom

I was hoping y'all might have some good ideas as to the best foods to take to a new mom. Our neighborhood has put together a meal schedule taking them dinners for a week, and I don't want to take the same things that everyone else is taking. I wasn't one that was bothered by spicy foods with breastfeeding, but I know that some people are. Any ideas on something other than poppyseed chicken that I could take? I only had 2 people bring meals to me when mine were born and both meals were poppyseed chicken!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Do they eat meat?

Meatloaf muffins (Rachel Ray recipe) and scalloped potatoes.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I usually bring a quiche and a bagged salad. Stay away from tomato sauce based dishes, only because they are very popular. I couldn't eat lasagna for a while after I had my twins.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Do you make something people rave about? Do you know if they have any preferences?

I would go with either grilled items, like ribs, baked potato, & veggies.

Comfort meals, like roast chicken/roast beef brisket (slow roasted), mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and a pumpkin or apple pie for dessert.

I am not a cassserole fan and people can be picky with meatloaf.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
a11ie
"I only hope that we Do Not lose sight of one thing -- That it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

Chicken noodle casserole. Diced chicken, peas, elbow macaroni, and cream of mushroom. Can be eaten hot or cold. As a meal or a snack. Super easy.
Dec '92.(US trip)_____Nov '93 (offsite)
Dec '94 (Dixie Landing)_____Sep '95 (BC)
Disneyland '96______Oct '97 (??)
Nov '99 (DL)_____May '00 (BWV)
May '01 (S&D)______Nov '01 (POR, BWV)
Disney Cruise '02______May '03 (BWV)
Oct '04 (BWV)______Sep '06 (BWV)

My DS FIRST trip at 14mo Nov '10 (BWV)
Had 2nd, surprise, trip with Grandma and Papa Oct '12 (BWV)
Planning to go back Sep '13. (BLT&BWV)
ME DS
a11ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

These are some great ideas! I think the roast chicken might do the trick. They have 3 other children (12, 8 and 6) so that would be something they would enjoy as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I usually bring a quiche and a bagged salad. Stay away from tomato sauce based dishes, only because they are very popular. I couldn't eat lasagna for a while after I had my twins.

Someone on here suggested a quiche when I asked a similar question and it was a big hit! It's now my "go to" new mom meal. I usually make zucchini quiche (from ourbestbites.com) a spinach and strawberry salad, some sort of dessert, rolls, and then muffins, granola, yogurt, and berries for breakfast. If I really like the parents I make them hummus and Pita chips too. That way they have dinner, dessert, breakfast, and midnight snacks.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post
I was hoping y'all might have some good ideas as to the best foods to take to a new mom. Our neighborhood has put together a meal schedule taking them dinners for a week, and I don't want to take the same things that everyone else is taking. I wasn't one that was bothered by spicy foods with breastfeeding, but I know that some people are. Any ideas on something other than poppyseed chicken that I could take? I only had 2 people bring meals to me when mine were born and both meals were poppyseed chicken!
I would bring a rotisserie chicken and a bunch of sides to go with it. Probably a green salad, some mashed potatoes (or au gratin potatoes), cranberry sauce, a vegetable (green beans or carrots maybe), rolls & butter, and something sweet. I'd also send paper plates, napkins, and some sort of beverage.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Not a meal but a nice breakfast or snack -- Banana Bread or pumpkin bread.

DD was born week before Christmas and SIL made pumpkin bread for us for Christmas. It was nice to have a decent snack or quick breakfast on the run between feedings, diaper changes and taking care of the 3 boys who were 7 and under.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post
I was going to say things that don't have to be heated up or don't taste awful cold.

I remember I got a lot of baked ziti typed things. My DD was beyond fussy and I always had to eat cold things. Not that I'm complaining...I appreciated the thought immensely.

Depending on tastes:

Chicken caesar salad or roll ups (can eat that with one hand)
Pasta salad (can add chicken or shrimp)
I love the rotisserie chicken other posters suggested
Finger rolls with tuna/egg/chicken/ham salad etc.
Cold cut platter (this can be good for the kids lunch too which mom may be too tired/busy to make). Don't forget the rolls.
Bagged chips and dip

I also think the bread idea of a PP is great too. They have to eat breakfast too. On that idea, what about assorted bagels or muffins?

Hope that helps. It's so very nice of you.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

Some of the ones we received that we're good we're a small honey baked ham and sides, white chicken enchiladas, and chicken pot pie. Yum.
WDWAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Do you know if the kids bring lunch from home to school? My dh was in the hospital a few years ago and not only did I get dinner from a friend...but she made my kids lunches for the next day at school..I can't tell you how much a cried over that!! It was so thoughful and something I would never have thought of doing.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
shoney
DIS Veteran

Things that freeze well might be a good idea too....for days when they don't feel like cooking.

Gladware containers filled with sauce and meatballs, chicken soup, a mild chicken chili.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings. Take-out Chinese would always be welcomed.
honeydiane1953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: