Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Bow-in or stern-in at Castaway Cay?

We are on the Starboard side of the ship and I'm trying to rememher if they back in or pull in to Castaway Cay.....or does it vary?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

usually they pull in stern first....
so if you're on the starboard side, you'll be facing the family beaches side of the island..

however, i've heard that occassionally they pull in bow first....i guess because of conditions....but usually it's stern first..
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

They do generally back in, but if the seas are rough I have been on board when they have just pulled in.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I believe that since the infamous event where they pulled in bow first and then couldn't depart, the policy is to take the ship in stern first. It is easier to pull straight out from this position. Above poster is correct that prior to that event, it was the captain's choice which way the ship would dock, and both options were used.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Awesome. Thanks. It will be nice to sit out on the verandah and have something to look at...and my wife can wave at my son and I as we head out on the jet skis. :-) Oh wait, no she can't...I booked her a massage at the same time. LOL oh well, still nicer to be looking at the lagoon than the dock.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
truck1
Growing older but not up.

They generally back in however once a month or so they'll come bow in if conditions permit for port side lifeboat training or starboard side maintanace.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
They generally back in however once a month or so they'll come bow in if conditions permit for port side lifeboat training or starboard side maintanace.
Are you sure that this has happened since the ship got stuck at Castaway? Not challenging you, just asking.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Are you sure that this has happened since the ship got stuck at Castaway? Not challenging you, just asking.
Yep. Main reason is that the ships are required to train a certain amount in a specific time period on both sides of the ship. They also have to paint/wash the starboard side occasionally and usually the only place they can do that is CC. There typically too busy at PC, and at Nassau,(Dream) they are typically port side to the pier, so that leaves CC. CG/SOLAS/IMO rules state how often lifeboats for example have to be launched for training and inspections. 1 week it might be the stbd boats at Nassau, the next the port side boats from CC.

The conditions have to be pretty close to pefect though for them to do it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Yep. Main reason is that the ships are required to train a certain amount in a specific time period on both sides of the ship. They also have to paint/wash the starboard side occasionally and usually the only place they can do that is CC. There typically too busy at PC, and at Nassau,(Dream) they are typically port side to the pier, so that leaves CC. CG/SOLAS/IMO rules state how often lifeboats for example have to be launched for training and inspections. 1 week it might be the stbd boats at Nassau, the next the port side boats from CC.

The conditions have to be pretty close to pefect though for them to do it.
Makes scene to me
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It makes perfect sense. We were told that they couldn't go in bow first since Captain John got stuck at Castaway.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
It makes perfect sense. We were told that they couldn't go in bow first since Captain John got stuck at Castaway.
Keep in mind that was also freak circumstances where it got very wind really quickly and was relatively calm all day.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Keep in mind that was also freak circumstances where it got very wind really quickly and was relatively calm all day.
I do understand that. Just the fact that it only happened once since 1998 says it was odd at best....We watched them lower ALL the starboard lifeboats while in port on the Fantasy--I think it was St. Maarten day, but could have been St. Thomas. Memory fades.

And the Magic crew was seriously unhappy when the Italian authorities demanded a full lowering of ALL lifeboats there. One crew member voiced his opinion that they were just flexing their muscles--to show Disney who was in charge. As in they didn't make any other ship do it.....
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
truck1

When was that? If it was one of the first times that the Magic was in a certain port, the officials might want to see the ship prove itself, while the others may have been "knowns" for lack of a better term.

Ive heard of the USCG do the same thing to cruise ships that have entered US waters for the first time.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When was that? If it was one of the first times that the Magic was in a certain port, the officials might want to see the ship prove itself, while the others may have been "knowns" for lack of a better term.

Ive heard of the USCG do the same thing to cruise ships that have entered US waters for the first time.
I think it was the port that they use for Florence. It was the first Med in 2011, I believe. I just remember that they had to shut down all ships services for an hour or so and that our stateroom host told us that if he didn't get the room done before the drill, he'd get to it afterwards--for us to not be concerned (like we were anyhow). The only reason I'm hedging is that I remember my daughter being with me and she went to Florence....so it could have been Civitavecchia. I know it was on that cruise and it was definitely Italy.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Awesome. Thanks. It will be nice to sit out on the verandah and have something to look at...and my wife can wave at my son and I as we head out on the jet skis. :-) Oh wait, no she can't...I booked her a massage at the same time. LOL oh well, still nicer to be looking at the lagoon than the dock.
Different perspective....facing the dock is awesome. While yes there is the dock there is also beautiful water just beyond the little piece of land that is beyond the dock so we feel it is the best of both worlds. There is so much interesting activity going on with crew unloading all the supplies and golf carts zipping here and there. We love watching us pull up to the dock and are amazed at the process of them throwing the ropes and tying up. It really makes you appreciate the effort put forth to make the guests' experience on the island wonderful. We also love watching them get the ship ready to leave.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: