Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
mjantz
DIS Veteran

My brother has a hearing loss so traditional alarm clocks do not work. He had one that vibrated & was suppose to go in his pillow. One weekend I was visiting my parents with my husband & we were given my brothers bed to sleep in. The next morning his alarm went off but it was on the headboard. OMG!! We both jumped about 10 feet & spent the next few minutes frantically searching for the off button. By the time we found it & turned it off we were so wired getting back to sleep was impossible.
I don't know where you buy them but you might try to find one.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #32
Styx Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Just want to add my DH said he was the same way. He would make up a little bed for himself in his closet and sleep in there so when his dad came home for lunch he wouldn't know he wasn't at school.
OMG...that is something my son would have done had he only thought of it!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
CAStevens218
DIS Veteran

I was the same way at your daughters age...heck I'm the same way now!

I finally started taking the responsibility of getting myself up when I got a job on the weekends and had to be there at 5AM...that made it easier to get up for school because school was later than work!!

Until that time, on my worst mornings, my mom would jump on my bed, sing obnoxious songs, and pull the covers off to get me out of bed. Ohhh, I hated it, but it worked, and I laugh about it now!

November 1997 All Star Sports * January 2009 Pop Century * December 2010 All Star Music * January 2012 Pop Century * July/August 2012 Port Orleans Riverside/Beach Club * February/March 2013 All Star Sports/Art of Animation

Are You Sure That Snow is Fake? December 2010 Trip Report
We Are Flying 1000 Miles to Run 13?!? January 2012 Trip Report
This Relaxation Thing Looks GOOD On Us!! July/August 2012 Honeymoon Trip Report
I'm Just SO HAPPY To Be Here!!! February/March 2013 Trip Report - IN PROGRESS!
CAStevens218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Some people are just not morning people. I'm not and my DD isn't. I worked 11-7 by choice for years because I hated getting up at 5:30 to be at work for 7-3.
I woke my DD up every morning of her life till she went to college. I was there anyway so why not? I usually had to call her about 4 times. I always gave her the this is your first call, then waited 5-8 minutes then another each time only waiting a minute or two. I hit the snooze a couple of times when I'm waking up, not everyone jumps right up. By the way she did fine at school but even there a couple times she had me call her if she had an important test at 8 to make sure she was up. And she didn't schedule 8 AM's unless she absolutely had to. If you aren't a morning person you learn to choose wisely when you are given a choice.

The Dis always amazes me an 11 yr old isn't old enough or mature enough to be outside by them selves or stay at home for 20 minutes or go to the BR at Disney by themselves BUT they are mature enough to have complete responsibility to get them selves up every morning for school by them selves.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #35
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I mean come on people...maybe I am cranky this morning but my CHILD, I dont care what age they are, would not be running the show. Their butt would be out of bed, it is called parenting! Sometime you have to do things that are not fun like making sure they are up. I feel for the parents who have to leave for work before but then if my child is that irresponsible they would be up when I got up no matter what time it was. And if I saw tardies on their report card there would be MAJOR consquences in my house.
I guess that maybe I have a little bit more compassion and understanding for my child's problems getting up because I had the same issues as a child (and even now as an adult). With my daughter, its NOT an issue of laziness, disrespect or lack of discipline, it's actually a physical medical issue. Lucky for you that you don't have a child with this problem, but for some of us it's not that we are lazy parents, it's that our child has an actual problem;
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #36
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

My last child is a senior in high school. It's been my job for all these years to wake up the kids and help them get ready for school and out the door. They have not been bus riders because of the long commute though. We also have to get up at 6am to get out the door before 7 because of traffic into the school (school starts at 7:30). None of us are really morning people and we certainly hate getting moving in the dark.

I was worried what would happen to my son when he got to college and had to get himself up of 8am classes. Well, he did it all last year and this year without fail. When he doesn't have to be up he can sleep til noon or later....

If you are up already, OP, just get her up. Don't make this such a trial for your family.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #37
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Bottom line OP, get HER up FIRST. Trust me, if you are waiting on her to get to start YOUR routine you are more inclined to not let her sleep.

In addition she will hate it, however you have to tell her that this is the NEW ROUTINE because she can't get up otherwise.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

Would you be willing to bring her a glass of ice water with her first alarm? I recently saw that as a solution to wake up problems . Or maybe flipping her lights on about 10 minutes before her alarm?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #39
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

My mom used to stand at the bottom of the stairs to my room and SING REALLLLLY LOUD "Rise and Shine".

I am a morning person by nature,...but I do have issues with falling asleep. I can be dead tired, go to bed at 830, and still not fall asleep until 1 or so. Just how I have always been. My brain doesn't shut off.

I would do the alarm clock that runs, the spray bottle, and also strip the bed and turn on the lights. If it's bright and she is cold...it won't be much fun sleeping!

In the end, though, this is HER issue and she needs to hold some responsibility!

My younger son is NOT a morning person...he is a PITA to get up, frankly. We have started making it a game. To see if he can be up and out of bed before something - usually before I get dressed, or before breakfast is ready. His reward is 5 - 10 minutes of cartoons.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #40
Styx Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandychelle79 View Post
If he is anything like me it wouldnt matter if you took all the lights or lamps from the room. In high school it was PHYSICALLY impossible for me to fall asleep. I would go to bed at 10 pm and toss and turn until 2, if I was lucky. 4 if not so lucky. My son is the same way, however we give him melatonin to help him fall asleep. If left to his own devices ( like we do in the summer) his natural sleep rhythm is from about 2 am till 11 am ( at age 6) Getting him up earlier didnt help like everyone told me it would. I would just have a cranky child in the AM ( fought daily last year for school until we started the melatonin) and an even crankier one at night who would lay in bed and just not be able to fall asleep.
That has often been the issue with my son. And we have used the melatonin as well, with mixed results.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned research that has been done on teens and sleep. I don't have time to go looking it up, but teen are simply not wired to go to sleep early and get up early. Most school districts have the oldest kids going to school first, elementary last. But that makes it even harder on the high school kids. A few progressive school districts have turned it around. (I know there are many reasons to not do this and not necessarily promoting it, but wanted to mention it).

I wish in my house it came down to just being willing to be the parent and making the kid comply. I am so not afraid to go to extreme lengths to get compliance from my kid, but this is a battle we have been fighting forever. He is 16 now and starting to get better. If it was something that we could just let him take the consequences, I would be very willing to go there. But since the parent is responsible to get the kid to school, we had to wage the war. We tried pretty much everything short of beating the kid. Earlier and earlier bedtime, no electronics an hour before bed, grounding, no light bulbs in his room (likes to read and would stay up all night if he could). Pouring water on him (just made the bed wet), missing his ride, etc, etc, etc. Rewards, praise, talking, explaining, etc, etc, etc. Hate to say nothing ever really made a difference. He just would not get up.

My DH was not very sympathetic all the years I was the parent doing morning duty. Then come 9th grade and a schedule change that put him in charge of DS. OK, I admit I kind of enjoyed his frustration.

We pretty much just trudged through and had miserable mornings. Again, I am not a push over parent, but some people are just not morning people. DS was just not really in control of his thought process in the mornings and seemed to not be able to connect repercussions to actions in his half asleep brain. We did make sure his morning routine was pared down to the absolute minimum required to get out the door. If we tried to get him up earlier, we just fought longer. As a small child, I dressed him half asleep. Breakfast was almost always something in the car...Carnation instant Breakfast for instance. Backpack always ready the night before. Showers always at night. Homework always done.

At this point, DS gets up about 5 minutes before walking out the door. If that. Rolls out of bed, combs hair, grabs some Frosted mini-wheats or protein bar, gets in car. Note I don't mentioning dressing or bathroom. That is not an accident. Kid has a bladder of alien strength...when he was younger I forced him to go...not anymore (Yup, we have explained many times about not healthy to hold it). He often gets dressed in his school clothes (shorts and t-shirt) before bed and then just wears them. Not my choice, but at 16 no body at school holds me responsible for grooming!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

When we were teens, my brother was impossible to wake up in the mornings. We went to the same school, so once we hit our teens, I took it upon myself to get him up for school every morning (my mom didn't get up till later). I would go in, then go in 5 mins later, then every 5 mins for about 20-30 mins and then he would roll out of bed. I did the water things every once in a while...but most of the time just going in every 5 mins and nagging him would work.

I don't know how he managed when I went away to school! Oh yes...I know, he was often late! I remember going home for a visit (he lived at home for many years) and I fell right back into my routine...except this time I would wake him up for work! And yes, he would occassionally even be late for work *sigh*. One time we were going on a trip with my mom and he was supposed to meet at my mom's house. He slept through his alarm. His wife (Who was not going) is not a morning person either...she slept through it too. We were on our way to the airport when I thought to ask where my brother was (my mom was so busy with my kids and I that she forgot about him LOL). We called him and we were all frantic because he was now extremely late for the flight. He made it to the airport (an hour's drive away) in the nick of time! I don't know how he's like now...but I imagine he's just the same!

I'm an awful non-morning person too - but when I have somewhere to be, I get up. My DH does the every 10-15 mins thing to get me up sometimes...but usually it takes about an hour for him to get me up!

Both my kids are not morning people either. But my DD gets up when it's stuff that's important to her. My DS...happily falls back asleep. I usually go and gently wake him up, a kiss and a cuddle works well. Then I go back 10 mins later and shake him again. Another 5 mins and I'm back in again and then he gets up in a relatively ok mood. If I try to get him up too quickly, he gets ridiculously cranky.

One thing that works really well when he's having a hard time getting up is to climb into his bed and cuddle him for 5 mins. Then he wakes up in a very good mood.

It's hard to work that into our usual frantic morning routine....but I've learned that working that extra time of patience in really helps. It made our mornings MUCH nicer. I used to yell, and yell, and yell. Now when I feel like yelling I sing. Works for us LOL! I love a PP's suggestion of singing annoying songs!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #42
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

My older dd15 has a hard time getting up. She's hypoglycemic and sometimes needs food/juice first. We gave up trying to get her to the pitch black bus stop way down the road at 7. I just don't like my kids to have to ride the bus for a long time and we'd have to take them to the bus stop anyway and wait for the bus. It's not a good way to start their day if it can be avoided. DH leaves at 7:30 with older dd and I take younger dd to school at 8.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #43
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

She just needs the proper motivation. Keep moving her bedtime earlier and BE FIRM. When she complains, just tell her once she can get out of bed on time you can talk about moving it back. You might have to be tougher in the morning. Go in turn on the lights and do not leave til she is OUT OF BED.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #44
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Two words - dawn simulator.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #45
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I guess that maybe I have a little bit more compassion and understanding for my child's problems getting up because I had the same issues as a child (and even now as an adult). With my daughter, its NOT an issue of laziness, disrespect or lack of discipline, it's actually a physical medical issue. Lucky for you that you don't have a child with this problem, but for some of us it's not that we are lazy parents, it's that our child has an actual problem;
Way to assume...

Compassion has nothing to do with it, they have a job as a student to be there and on time and they need to get up.

DS15 would love to sleep but he knows he cant.

And DS9 has had sleep issues as a baby due to Sensory Processing Disorder, he was on a waiting list for a sleep study until his ped had me try that one more thing....

I also have had major insomnia issues and I still needed to get up, even when I finally fell asleep, so I know how hard it is to get up. But I had these issues when I worked and my boss would not have been happy if I was late, and as a SAHM when I had to get up with oldest and get him to school when I was dealing with my own insomnia AND DS9's sleep issues. I still had responsibilities and had to get up. Believe me I was a walking zombie who wanted nothing more to sleep more, it was a brutal 3 years.

So I GET medical issues, but regardless the person needs to get up and be own time and it is MY job as a parent to make sure that happens.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread