Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Shopping

Everyone knows that the US is great for a shopaholic! What I want to know is what is on your shopping list?

We will get sneakers, surfie brand t-shirts, tracksuit pants, jeans, shorts, etc for DS and DH. And some sporting team gear (Denver Broncos, LA Angels). But I don't really have anything on my list for me. Maybe jewellery (though DH rolled his eyes when I mentioned this to him tonight, and commented "Don't you have enough?" Hmmph. Who can ever have enough bling?!) Hopefully some of the items on your lists can be added to mine, so I am looking for inspiration!

I don't even know what to get for DS for his birthday. Last time we were there, I bought him a Leappad as his main birthday present (a surprise) and he built his own car at Ridemakerz, but this year I have no idea what to get him. I know I have lots of time to think about it, but thought someone might have suggestions of something that I could only get in America (or is much cheaper there than I could get here in Oz)? Sad really, isn't it? Maybe it shows just how much he already has (lucky/spoilt only child perhaps?!)

I went a little crazy on all of us for Christmas this year (oh, I love Amazon!) so there isn't really much that any of us need, although towards the end of this year, I guess there will be. And I am always on the lookout for shoes!

Disney World - Dec 2015
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Defiantly a Dooney and Bourke Disney bag and A girl can never have to much jewelry
Crocs are very high on my list for myself as well
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
Defiantly a Dooney and Bourke Disney bag and A girl can never have to much jewelry
Crocs are very high on my list for myself as well
Ooh, I had to look up Dooney and Bourke Disney bags, as I had never heard of them - they are gorgeous! I have so many bags, but mine are all plain black, so these would be something different (and even DH can't complain, so long as I steer clear of another black bag!)

I looked for a certain style of Crocs last time, but couldn't find what I wanted - I ended up buying them off eBay when I got home!

This is a good start to my list - thank you!

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5 View Post
Ooh, I had to look up Dooney and Bourke Disney bags, as I had never heard of them - they are gorgeous! I have so many bags, but mine are all plain black, so these would be something different (and even DH can't complain, so long as I steer clear of another black bag!)

I looked for a certain style of Crocs last time, but couldn't find what I wanted - I ended up buying them off eBay when I got home!

This is a good start to my list - thank you!
glad to be a help we to encourage others to spend their money on Disney on this board
Your DH on the other hand may not like the encouragement so much
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Dean1972
Mouseketeer

My DW & I look forward to Outlet mall shopping whilst in Orlando.
We will probably be looking for good deals on American designer gear we like : Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch, Gant etc.
we are also looking forward to American products like Salt Water Taffy ( candy ) yumm
Dean1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean1972 View Post
My DW & I look forward to Outlet mall shopping whilst in Orlando.
We will probably be looking for good deals on American designer gear we like : Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch, Gant etc.
we are also looking forward to American products like Salt Water Taffy ( candy ) yumm
Good idea! You have reminded me that i wanted to look at Tommy Hilfiger for DH. And I like DKNY and White House|Black Market.

And I have to add makeup to my list (how coud I have possibly forgotten that - it is better than half price over there!).

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
marvel
DIS Veteran

The women in our house are always buying make up, MAC and other brands at apparently much cheaper prices that in Oz. I find the Calvin Klein is ridiculously cheap in the US and Hugo Boss which I love.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I'm mainly after clothes and shoes, and candles from Yankee Candle... I'm hoping to spend a bit more time shopping next time I go...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

I was disappointed in the whole clothes shopping bit for myself because I'd put on too much weight, and travelling in winter, I got tired of stripping off my layers to try things on!

We bought shoes and clothes for DH and the kids, a rolling gear bag for my son for motocross, books and souvenirs. I bought myself a great multi-purpose kitchen knife from a store in Solvang, possibly one of my best purchases if I may say so myself. I did lug around some Le Cruesset stuff (mixing bowls and spatulas) around on our last day in LA from one of the outlet stores we stopped at before going to the airport...

Next trip I will be looking at some more Dooney bags and I will not talk myself out of a cruise line one like I did last time There will also be more shoes and clothes shopping and I'll up the Christmas decoration purchases. I love shopping but don't often buy much for myself, rather my children are the ones who score big on that front.

Oh, and don't forget to buy a jar of grape jelly - my kids love Smuckers grape jelly for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Luisa
Mouseketeer

I'm so predictable with my shopping- always go to Old Navy, Converse, Gap and AmericanEagle for clothes/shoes, Godiva, Ghiradelli and Sees for yummy treats, Fossil for bags and watches and a huge spend up at Sephora!
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

What about sporting equipment for your DS? If he is sporty, everything is cheaper there.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
What about sporting equipment for your DS? If he is sporty, everything is cheaper there.
Unfortunately he's not very sporty (he's pretty uncoordinated, actually!) He is more into performing - singing, dancing, acting (he's very dramatic! Lol) but you have given me an idea that I could maybe look into getting him a personalised Broncos jersey (DH has one and I think DS would love to be matching), though he generally doesn't like receiving clothes as gifts (so I found out at Christmas! Hahaha)

If all else fails, I can get him an iPod touch (but wonder if it's overkill, as we got him a mini ipad for Christmas - that's because he uses an ipad at school, so we are saying it's for educational purposes. I think we are kidding ourselves! But it was also so he could take it away with us and keep himself entertained, although Air NZ has pretty good entertainment consoles anyway).

Just on clothes shopping, the other reason I find it hard to buy for me is that their sizing system is all over the place, it is even worse than here! So you have to try everything on, and i often can't be bothered. It's a lot easier for men (which goes by the standard measurements eg waist 34inch) and kids (size roughly equals age, same as here). I guess that's why I get mostly shoes - standard sizes

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
becpee
I see sock puppets

Dresses! I bought 5
I say don't make a list, you'll see things

I did buy two pairs of Nike runners also, currently sitting at my front door waiting to be out on and worn outside

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
marvel
DIS Veteran

My problem is that i lose 10kg before the trip, buy all these nice clothes and then get post holiday blues and put some weight back on. Then my new clothes don't fit. Even my expensive true religion jeans!!
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
LizfromOz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
I'm so predictable with my shopping- always go to Old Navy, Converse, Gap and AmericanEagle for clothes/shoes, Godiva, Ghiradelli and Sees for yummy treats, Fossil for bags and watches and a huge spend up at Sephora!
I love Sees Candies, we came home in October with 3 big boxes of the chocolates as well as some peppermint creams and butterscotch chews...choccie heaven

Alas, they're now sitting around our collective midriffs, but they were soooo good
LizfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: