Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedisneyland1 View Post
We use cash and our debit cards, but mostly cash. With the cash I do not bring all of the cash with us. I usually will allow a certain amount a day and take it out of the atm as needed. It does cost a little extra in fees but I don't have to worry about lost or stolen cash either. I can also keep a better handle on what we're spending that way.
If you go into the store, and instead of taking cash, load the amount you would use on a gift card, there are no fees, so you can get an extra churro!!
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

We use our credit card for everything. As long as you pay in full every month they are a good deal. I figure with the airline miles I rack up I am getting back %1.5.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #33
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszdtrvl View Post
Cash!

When we go on vacation, we take a specific amount of cash. We pay cash for EVERYTHING while on vacation. It makes it easy to not over-spend by using a credit card.

We have always done it this way. Works great for us, and we always return with money at the end of our trip.
We do a combo of cash and gift cards for this very reason. If I see the money depleating, I spend less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue32 View Post
Does anyone know if you can use gift cards at the hotel restaurants? Like for the character meals?
Just note that some of the restaurants won't allow you to put the tip on the gift card. We ran into that a few years ago, so now bring some cash.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

I typically carry cash for the daily food expenses. I like to have the visual of how much we are spending. We use our debit card for souveniers.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Purple View Post
They have them at the 44th Street and Thomas location in Phoenix as that is where I bought mine. I know that isn't close to Chandler, but it isn't too bad of a drive as you can take the 202 to the 44th Street exit, turn right, drive a little over a mile and you are there.

Also, I found them in the back of the store near the electronics and video games in one of the end of aisle displays.
Thank you! I didn't realize they would sell non-Target gift cards anywhere other than the front registers! I will check every nook and cranny of my local Targets before heading up to the location you recommended!!!

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
sheetz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
We use our credit card for everything. As long as you pay in full every month they are a good deal. I figure with the airline miles I rack up I am getting back %1.5.
Ditto. We're naturally very frugal so there's never even a thought of overspending. We don't buy anything with credit cards that we can't afford to pay with cash.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
cp11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkislaght View Post
We get Disney Gift cards for Christmas and birthdays, and then once a month we get a three pack of $15. ones.. by the time we go we have a ton of "money" and havent really missed it over the year..

The Disney store in DTD takes the gift cards..

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but this has my interest as we would be paying for our trip without breaking the budget. I like it, so I think I might start doing this.

So my questions are: How many gift cards are you taking typically doing it this method.

I take it if I use one card up, but still owe 18.50, they can use it up on one card, then use the next, right? I'm just picturing having tons of these $15 gift cards and pulling out ten of them to say pay for a meal for four or five. I think my husband and kids would walk away in embarassment.

Can people fill in the blanks for me on this. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #38
AZwldcats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp11 View Post
I know this might sound like a stupid question, but this has my interest as we would be paying for our trip without breaking the budget. I like it, so I think I might start doing this.

So my questions are: How many gift cards are you taking typically doing it this method.

I take it if I use one card up, but still owe 18.50, they can use it up on one card, then use the next, right? I'm just picturing having tons of these $15 gift cards and pulling out ten of them to say pay for a meal for four or five. I think my husband and kids would walk away in embarassment.

Can people fill in the blanks for me on this. Thanks for your help in advance.
Yes, I had about 18 $50 Gift Cards for my trip. I would use one and it would take the remaining balance, apply it to the transaction and tell me how much more I owed (if any). I would just tell the CM to toss the zero balance cards so I would know about what I had left.

Also the card #'s and balances print out on your receipt.

I used 4 once for one transaction.
AZwldcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

we used a combination of cash, credit and gift cards.

We bought a gift card for DD to use in the Park. We carried cash for small purchases and for when we did smaller dining breaks in the park.

For big sit down meals we used our credit card. We divided the cash between my DH and myself each morning before we left and topped up in the evening if needed.

May 14 - May 21 2014
Staying at the Howard Johnson
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #40
lovedisneyland1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t
If you go into the store, and instead of taking cash, load the amount you would use on a gift card, there are no fees, so you can get an extra churro!!
That's a good idea but I don't like to have my money tied up into gift cards. If something were to happen like a slow time of work (my husband is in a job where they usually have a month or so off a year) I don't want to have nearly a thousand dollars sitting there in gift cards that can only be used at Disney. I would rather pay a few extra dollars in atm fees.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #41
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

To all those who mentioned buying them at Target ... THANK YOU!!! I found them in the electronics/music section just as you said. I will take 5% off with my Redcard any day!!

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #42
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten6mom
To all those who mentioned buying them at Target ... THANK YOU!!! I found them in the electronics/music section just as you said. I will take 5% off with my Redcard any day!!
Good! I was just going to suggest this. I'm in Gilbert and have found them in all our local stores. I'd read of stores where they're discounted, but not any near me .

We're trying to do it on the cheap, packing in snacks and lunches (we're GF so that'll make li easier too). We're budgeting $50 each day for park meals, snacks. Anything extra will either be cash or debit. If we have "leftover" $ on our gift cards, I'm sure we can find a way to use that up. :laugh:

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
nicolispicoli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocrobro View Post
I bought a lot of gift cards and used those. I carried a little cash for the carts that didn't take them, although we found there were very few that wouldn't. I bought all of them at Target using my Target card to get the additional 5% off.
I am so glad you posted this!! I was going to put the amount of our DLH hotel bill on a giftcard as well as our spending money and now I might just go your route. The only thing I wonder is if you can use multiple cards to pay a hotel bill at DLH. I will have to look into this. Saving 5% off that total would be an amazing deal given that we got only a crummy AP discount on our super expensive room for next weekend. Thanks!
nicolispicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #44
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolispicoli

I am so glad you posted this!! I was going to put the amount of our DLH hotel bill on a giftcard as well as our spending money and now I might just go your route. The only thing I wonder is if you can use multiple cards to pay a hotel bill at DLH. I will have to look into this. Saving 5% off that total would be an amazing deal given that we got only a crummy AP discount on our super expensive room for next weekend. Thanks!
Yes, you can pay with multiple cards. There is also an app I loaded onto my iPhone that will keep track of all of your Disney gift cards and their balances.

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
nicolispicoli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocrobro View Post
Yes, you can pay with multiple cards. There is also an app I loaded onto my iPhone that will keep track of all of your Disney gift cards and their balances.
Even better, thanks!! 5% off is better than nothing!
nicolispicoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: