Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
desamnik
Mouseketeer

What does a ? over your stateroom # ....

mean?

I checked my reservation at disneycruise. We picked our stateroom # when we booked many months ago. We are leaving on Nov.3rd.

On the reservation, a ? is above the stateroom # and when you click it it says that "your stateroom may change".

Is this common? Do they change your stateroom even if you picked a particular one?
desamnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by desamnik View Post
mean?

I checked my reservation at disneycruise. We picked our stateroom # when we booked many months ago. We are leaving on Nov.3rd.

On the reservation, a ? is above the stateroom # and when you click it it says that "your stateroom may change".

Is this common? Do they change your stateroom even if you picked a particular one?
It means this:

Quote:
Stateroom-Based on your reservation type and availability, your stateroom number is subject to change. If your reservation is type GTY, your stateroom number has not yet been assigned.
Basically it's subject to change.
HTH
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
desamnik
Mouseketeer

Thank you for you quick response...

but I thought only GTY or whatever the other acronyms are were the only ones that would have that on there????

We picked a stateroom #, Categore 5c, will they really change your room on you? of course I wouldn't mind, if it was an upgrade, I just didn't know they did this.
desamnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
but I thought only GTY or whatever the other acronyms are were the only ones that would have that on there????

We picked a stateroom #, Categore 5c, will they really change your room on you? of course I wouldn't mind, if it was an upgrade, I just didn't know they did this.
My understanding of my contract is that they will put me in the room requested, unless they are unable to or choose to have us stay in an equivalent or better room. I've heard of both pixie dust upgrades as well as routine maintenance changing room numbers.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Occasionally they will make a change, but it will never be a downgrade. I don't know all the reasons they might make a change, but it's possible they'll need to make adjustments for disability accessibility or if a family needs adjoining staterooms and they need to shuffle things a bit. Or they might just hit you with pixie dust! But they do try to honor your stateroom request.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
Occasionally they will make a change, but it will never be a downgrade. I don't know all the reasons they might make a change, but it's possible they'll need to make adjustments for disability accessibility or if a family needs adjoining staterooms and they need to shuffle things a bit. Or they might just hit you with pixie dust! But they do try to honor your stateroom request.
I have very specific reasons why I pick the cabin that I select.
I understand it's their ship but it seems to me if they allow you to select your stateroom they should have to contact you before moving you. I totally get that maitenance issues are beyond their control but then they should work with you to see where you would like to be moved to (if you didn't book as a gty) as people usually select a cabin in a particular location for a reason. And as far as upgrading...well, that could be iffy... For example, if I had a virtual porthole inside stateroom that I selected on an upper deck and they upgraded me to an oceanview cabin on a lower deck I would not be a happy cruiser. I know that this is considered an upgrade but it is not an upgrade that I would want even for free! I do not like the lower decks and don't want to be in a cabin down there. To me that would be a downgrade! I think they should contact you and ask if you want to be upgraded. Because if I found out that I had been upgraded that way and then I couldn't get back the cabin that I had originally selected because they put someone else in it, that wouldn't make me happy, especially if I selected that cabin a couple of years ahead of time (barring the inevitable issue of there were maitenance problems with the cabin).

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but, I'm going to say it anyway... It's kinda hard but if someone selects their cabin months or years ahead of time why should they get bumped for someone else who booked towards the end who might want connecting cabins. Well to me it's fine if they are available but why should other people have to be moved to accomodate the late comers? I disagree with this. Someone may want Starboard and now they got port side because the newest booking 'needs' connecting rooms. And the person who booked their Starboard side room selected it 24 months ago. How is that fair? To me, if they are available great! If not, then you either deal with it, or book your cruise so you can select the connecting staterooms you need. But others shouldn't have to move from the cabin they selected just to accomodate the last minute cruiser. JMHO...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
I have very specific reasons why I pick the cabin that I select.
I understand it's their ship but it seems to me if they allow you to select your stateroom they should have to contact you before moving you. I totally get that maitenance issues are beyond their control but then they should work with you to see where you would like to be moved to (if you didn't book as a gty) as people usually select a cabin in a particular location for a reason. And as far as upgrading...well, that could be iffy... For example, if I had a virtual porthole inside stateroom that I selected on an upper deck and they upgraded me to an oceanview cabin on a lower deck I would not be a happy cruiser. I know that this is considered an upgrade but it is not an upgrade that I would want even for free! I do not like the lower decks and don't want to be in a cabin down there. To me that would be a downgrade! I think they should contact you and ask if you want to be upgraded. Because if I found out that I had been upgraded that way and then I couldn't get back the cabin that I had originally selected because they put someone else in it, that wouldn't make me happy, especially if I selected that cabin a couple of years ahead of time (barring the inevitable issue of there were maitenance problems with the cabin).

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but, I'm going to say it anyway... It's kinda hard but if someone selects their cabin months or years ahead of time why should they get bumped for someone else who booked towards the end who might want connecting cabins. Well to me it's fine if they are available but why should other people have to be moved to accomodate the late comers? I disagree with this. Someone may want Starboard and now they got port side because the newest booking 'needs' connecting rooms. And the person who booked their Starboard side room selected it 24 months ago. How is that fair? To me, if they are available great! If not, then you either deal with it, or book your cruise so you can select the connecting staterooms you need. But others shouldn't have to move from the cabin they selected just to accomodate the last minute cruiser. JMHO...
If you book a specific room, it's real simple. Just put "do not upgrade/move" on your reservation.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

I completely agree with the previous post. If you select a specific room, you should not be moved without your permission.
mom4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If you book a specific room, it's real simple. Just put "do not upgrade/move" on your reservation.

I'm pretty sure that a "do not upgrade/move" note would make it very unlikely that they'd move you. I've even heard of people having success with that with GTY assignments. But I don't work for DCL and I don't know all the nuances.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Maybe the OP should just call DCL directly & get the scoop...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I think that ? is just a link to a help topic. I see it on my cruise list ( I have more than one cruise booked) above cabin # and reservation #. Where do you see the ?.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: