Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: WWYD, 14 nights of Disney or 20 nights of Med/Cruise?
14 nights of WDW/DCL Fantasy, nothing better than the Mouse! 11 18.97%
20 nights of Med cruise with Transatlantic - can't have enough sea days! 47 81.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Question WWYD - 14 night WDW/DCL trip or 20 night Med/WB Trans trip?

Ok, so I created a conundrum.

We booked the 7 night Fantasy trip last year for Dec 2013 to combine it with a WDW/Orlando visit to see the Christmas decorations/lights and checkout the new Fantasyland. So all total we're planning for 14 nights - at least 3 days in the WDW parks and 3 days Univ/SeaWorld/or something then the 7 night Fantasy. Our estimate for everything (transportation, lodging, meals, park tickets, cruise fare, etc) worked out to be about 143/pp/pn (just 2 of us, we're big kids )

But I stumbled on what I think is a cheap Western Mediterranean/WB Transatlantic cruise. It's 17 nights out of Rome ending in Miami and we'd add 2 days on the front to explore Rome. It hits 6 ports (Florence, Provence, Majorca, Barcelona, Madiera, & St Thomas) with 10 glorious sea days. I've been checking one-way airfares and hotels, etc and our estimate for everything (transportation, lodging, meals, shore excursions, cruise fare, on board spending, etc) works out to about $160-170/pp/pn. The cruise itself is dirt cheap, 81/pp/pn for a mid-ship Balcony after TA and cruiseline discounts.

So the conundrum is, what to do? Can't do both in 2013. Even if we wanted to spend the money, I don't get that many vacation days

Obviously the Med/WB trans is more money total but I was surprised by how small a jump it was over "budget" and get to see a whole new continent plus do a repo/trans cruise that we've wanted. Plus pushing back the WDW/DCL trip means Fantasyland would truly be finished as I wanted to see the Snow White mine car ride which has been pushed back to a 2014 release.

But, it'd be 3 years in between Disney trips as we'd probably push it back to Dec 2014 (really want to see the Christmas stuff and hubby would like to Florida when it's not scorching... he likes colder weather.) and I know you Disney/DCL fanatics will understand that con
And the Med would also be considered an early Anniversary trip so we wouldn't be doing anything really "fun" on the actual anniversary which we tentatively planned for an Alaska cruise 2014 - that would get pushed back a year to 2015. (omg, do I really plan trips 3 years in advance??... I guess I do, no wonder why hubby laughs at me)

So we don't know what to do, keep with the currently crafted plan of WDW/DCL in 2013 and anniversary Alaska cruise in 2014 and hope that prices stay reasonable for a Med or Repo cruise in 2015? Or grab the deal, say "Happy Anniversary" 6 months early, and suck it up until the Disney fix in 2014?

I've got both booked and just waiting for the 2014 itineraries come out to figure which to move/cancel. What would you guys do in this situation?
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
joeyandangiesmom
Earning My Ears

Do you have a passport? THAT would add to the cost!
joeyandangiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

I voted for the DCL/WDW combo, just because the other option doesn't include Disney! And that Alaska 2014 cruise factors in greatly for me. Then again, we've only sailed DCL and really have no interest in cruising other lines. Christmas at WDW really is amazing, too.

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
bahacca
Mouseketeer

No brainer for me. Do the Med cruise. All I could see when you talked about that one was basically the "pros" and for the other one, you listed a lot of "cons"-one thing you wanted to see not being completed, etc. I'm all for taking good opportunities when they present themselves. You KNOW you can afford the more expensive cruise now. 2 years from now, you could have kids, had a job loss, etc. Carpe Diem.
The 7-night I am assuming you need a passport for as well, so that expense is a moot point.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
holula
DIS Veteran

Being (originally) from Britain, I would pick the WDW/DCL trip. Christmas at WDW is amazing. Actually that holds true for any of the Disney parks.

However if you do the Med cruise option, you CAN see Rome in two days but you will be exhausted. Four days would probably be ideal. (And Florence! I would have cried if I'd only spent a day there!)
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
No brainer for me. Do the Med cruise. All I could see when you talked about that one was basically the "pros" and for the other one, you listed a lot of "cons"-one thing you wanted to see not being completed, etc. I'm all for taking good opportunities when they present themselves. You KNOW you can afford the more expensive cruise now. 2 years from now, you could have kids, had a job loss, etc. Carpe Diem.
The 7-night I am assuming you need a passport for as well, so that expense is a moot point.
Not necessarily. If it's a closed loop cruise from PC, all that's "required" would be a CERTIFIED birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
megandbrooke
Earning My Ears

For me, it would be a no brainer. Mediterranean!! We did an Eastern Mediterrean (none Disney) and it was by far the BEST vacation we have ever been on. Rome is wonderful and spending a couple of extra days there is a must. The ports are different there, so much to experience. Nothing like it here in the America's. While we didnt do the transatlantic part, my vote would still be the same. BTW, we like Disney but is not a must for us.
megandbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I got hung up on the 10 sea days. I assume that's not all at once. On port-intensive cruises we welcome the sea days between ports to relax and gear up for the next port. I realize the transatlantic is several consecutive days at sea but if the rest of it is interspersed with ports, that sounds great.

Meanwhile, how close to Christmas would the WDW trip be? The Christmas decorations are great, and of course the Disney ships have spectacular Christmas decor too, including snow falling in the atrium, but the parks are so very crowded during the holidaze. If it's early December, I'd opt for WDW and the Fantasy, but really either trip sounds like a win/win.

Let us know what you decide.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyandangiesmom View Post
Do you have a passport? THAT would add to the cost!
have passport, will travel only 1 stamp though from a business trip, our leisure trips have been cruises so no stamps but in the grand scheme of things since it's just the 2 of us it'd only be $270 if we had to get new which is <5% of the total cost. point taken though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
I voted for the DCL/WDW combo, just because the other option doesn't include Disney! And that Alaska 2014 cruise factors in greatly for me. Then again, we've only sailed DCL and really have no interest in cruising other lines. Christmas at WDW really is amazing, too.
i know, i've heard great things and really wanted to see the Osborne lights. hubby would have the house lit up like the Griswalds if I'd let him. He loves Christmas decorations, so seeing all the different trees, and Gingerbread houses, and lights and everything has been a big draw. we were planning just a day to wander around all the resorts to check out the lobbies. so yeah, kinda like a kid that can't wait until christmas morning for presents, we've been bummed we didn't book it for this year even though intellectually we know it was better to do it 2013. which is really why it's even a debate between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
this is true, knock on wood, we have some stable jobs so shouldnt be an issue there. but you never know what will happen with houses, cars, and whatnot and if it all hits at once i think i'd be less upset to miss a Disney trip (although not by much) or an Alaska trip then missing a Med trip. good point.
the Fantasy sailings are closed loop cruises so no passport needed. but we had ours for business trips before that and have another 4 or 5 years until renewals.
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
Being (originally) from Britain, I would pick the WDW/DCL trip. Christmas at WDW is amazing. Actually that holds true for any of the Disney parks.

However if you do the Med cruise option, you CAN see Rome in two days but you will be exhausted. Four days would probably be ideal. (And Florence! I would have cried if I'd only spent a day there!)
oh yeah, we don't imagine that we could see all of Rome in 2 days. we have intentions of doing the med again, hopefully on an eastern cruise out of rome so we can front load again. but i figure 2 days would give us a feel for the city so we could plan out better the next trip there. pretty much all the ports about the same, get a feel for it so we can decide if we want to plan a whole trip there, or take a multi-city land tour, or if just hitting it on another cruise is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megandbrooke View Post
For me, it would be a no brainer. Mediterranean!! We did an Eastern Mediterrean (none Disney) and it was by far the BEST vacation we have ever been on. Rome is wonderful and spending a couple of extra days there is a must. The ports are different there, so much to experience. Nothing like it here in the America's. While we didnt do the transatlantic part, my vote would still be the same. BTW, we like Disney but is not a must for us.
definitely sways back to the Med trip now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
I got hung up on the 10 sea days. I assume that's not all at once. On port-intensive cruises we welcome the sea days between ports to relax and gear up for the next port. I realize the transatlantic is several consecutive days at sea but if the rest of it is interspersed with ports, that sounds great.

Meanwhile, how close to Christmas would the WDW trip be? The Christmas decorations are great, and of course the Disney ships have spectacular Christmas decor too, including snow falling in the atrium, but the parks are so very crowded during the holidaze. If it's early December, I'd opt for WDW and the Fantasy, but really either trip sounds like a win/win.

Let us know what you decide.
10 sea days are spread a bit. should be 4 ports then 2 sea days, then 1 port, then 6 sea days, then 1 port again, and 2 more sea days then Miami docking. we just did a Bahamas cruise to try out a new line (NCL) since we've done Bahamas before. so we made our own "sea" days to see what it's like. we always felt a cruise was a moving hotel - a vehicle to see a bunch of places without the hassle. but after just hanging out on the ship without even the thought to get off was awesome. probably the most relaxing trip ever. which convinced hubby that he wanted to try a longer repo cruise for the extra sea days.

the Disney trip is the early Dec lull. we'd be at the parks 2nd week in Dec which we usually see cheaper room rates with special offers/free dining so that usually means a lower attendance. i'd drive myself crazy around the actual holiday - that's the beauty of no kids, no school schedules to work with so we usually go during the 'value' (and now named, 'fall') seasons to avoid the crowds
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

[QUOTE="miztressuz"
But I stumbled on what I think is a cheap Western Mediterranean/WB Transatlantic cruise. It's 17 nights out of Rome ending in Miami and we'd add 2 days on the front to explore Rome. It hits 6 ports (Florence, Provence, Majorca, Barcelona, Madiera, & St Thomas) with 10 glorious sea days. I've been checking one-way airfares and hotels, etc and our estimate for everything (transportation, lodging, meals, shore excursions, cruise fare, on board spending, etc) works out to about $160-170/pp/pn. The cruise itself is dirt cheap, 81/pp/pn for a mid-ship Balcony after TA and cruiseline discounts.

So is the Med cruise on Disney? I can't tell from your post....TIA

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=penel3;46278058][QUOTE="miztressuz"

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards[/QUOTE]

No, the DCL Med cruises sail out of Barcelona.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=penel3;46278058][QUOTE="miztressuz"

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards[/QUOTE]

Nope, not Disney There'd be no Disney involved with that one. DCL doesn't have a WB transatlantic listed yet. But in all honesty I don't think it'd be that cheap.
ETA, the Med/Transatlantic is a NCL. We just tried one of their smaller ships and we enjoyed ourselves so we're going to assume one of the larger ships should be similar.
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream

Last edited by miztressuz; 09-26-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: probably could have mentioned the line for the Med option
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
ao23
Earning My Ears

I had to vote for the Med cruise when you said you would "see a whole new continent"! I love Italy and combining with a transatlantic cruise sounds divine.
ao23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao23 View Post
I had to vote for the Med cruise when you said you would "see a whole new continent"! I love Italy and combining with a transatlantic cruise sounds divine.
yeah, we've only been to the Caribbean islands and London/suburbs - another island . i don't say the UK because we only saw London and the surrounding areas from separate business trips and that's not seeing the UK. we didn't even see the same parts as we weren't together. that's another dream trip, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England; maybe do the chunnel and see Paris on the way back... someday
otherwise we're very domestic travelers. so yeah a new continent would be neat
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: