Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 417

What are the chances?

I don't know if I am willing to take this gamble or not. But the thought came to my mind tonight, so I am going to get your experienced opinions. We are sailing on Jan 6,2013 on our very first cruise. We booked it on opening day and got a aft balcony. For the 4 of us for the 4-night cruise it is $2542. I was looking at the disney cruise website tonight and noticed that every category except concierge is available. Then I began to wonder if after Oct. 23rd (the pay off date) if they will reduce the rates and if I can get an even better deal for the cruise. What do you think? Do the rates get better or worse after the 75 day mark? Have you ever done this and taken the gamble to get a better deal? I don't necessarily want to lose my aft balcony but a better room rate might make it not so bad. Is it worth it?
wdwlovin'family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
DIS Veteran
chateau's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 827

What would your option then be, to cancel and try for a last minute *GT? I'd suppose this also depends on your other planned events. Book last minute and you risk not getting excursions and onboard activities in locations or times that you prefer. I'm considering having a tentative plan for a non-DCL vacation, then watch last minute rates, but haven't got it all down, yet,, to determine rate cuts and availability. Weigh it all out! Good luck!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
DIS Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

As above--what happens if low rates do not come out? Reality--they probably will as early January (after the holidays) are a very quiet time. BUT....what if you can't get a great price? Has the price increased significantly over what you paid? Do you already have plane tickets? Are you OK with a WDW land trip if you can't get back onto the ship?

Reality--if I were guessing, they will probably offer *gt deals shortly after the PIF date. But there are never promises on that!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Mouseketeer from CA
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central CA
Posts: 919

If you are able to get a GT rate, it still may not be less than your opening day rate
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
DIS Veteran
zealandsmom's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 40 miles from WDW
Posts: 585

I dunno? We booked last minute and got a Florida resident rate for 4 people on a 4 night for about half of what you are paying? Where do you live? How much has the price risen? Are you willing to go up or down a category? Good luck!!!
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
DIS Veteran
Momma2Jax's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 774

I haven't done last minute booking, but I do know that I kept checking rates on our Alaska cruise up until the week we left, and the regular prices actually increased after the pay in full date, but the did offer *gt rates that were very good. So it's really hard to tell what they will do.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 417

Just as a follow up to this -- the option would have been to cancel and wait for a gt rate, but my dh is adamant that we just pay it off and not look back (at the prices). He feels this way party because he does not want to loose our aft verandah. Chances are, the price will go down. It has not risen one penny since the day we booked it, which highly surprises me. But, we already have airfare booked and the time off set and family going with us, so we aren't going to chance it. But, if I do look back, I probably will be frustrated if I didn't get the best deal. I quite frankly wouldn't even mind going down a category, but not everyone feels that way.
wdwlovin'family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 419

2 words.
Blissful ignorance.

You have time off, you have others involved.
You have an aft balcony.

Pay it off and don't look at the prices again.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
DIS Veteran
lorimay's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,764

We booked our Canadian cruise for Sept. in January.
The prices stayed the same till after the pay-off date.

Then the prices dropped significantly. I was mad I even looked because to change we would have been hit with a huge penalty.
I left it alone at that point. Plus loose the OB credit and excursions and Palo ressies would have been awful.

But I will no longer book so far in advance again.

Live and learn.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.