Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #376
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I have to say, I probably would not have noticed if I were racing. The only reason I did notice is because they showed it in captions when they said hello/goodbye. And that's something that you wouldn't see if you were racing.
I was just going to say that. The captioning in each episode gave a clue that there was more to it than just a greeting.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #377
ibob52
Original Mickey Mouse Club ... Mouseketeer

Cool

The final destination was New York City
hmmm ... which team might that favor.

Perhaps ... the team that lives and works in the City.

Seemed a bit one sided from that point on.

Odds were stacked up against other teams

in favor of the underdogs (slow-bumbling-last place team).

my2cents

It's a Dog eat Dog world out there

Disney is my Happy ~ Place
ibob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #378
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob52 View Post

my2cents

Except that hometown knowledge ended up meaning nothing in this particular leg of the race.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #379
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Never mind
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #380
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Not to mention that selection of the final city was done even before the race began. There was NO way to predict which teams would be in the final 3 when NY was selected. It has always been the case (at least in recent years) that one or more of the teams was from the general area of the last leg of the race. There are only so many cities in the US that can serve as the last leg (has to be a city with incoming international flights). I do not believe that the last leg was purposely designed to benefit the goat farmers. It's just as likely that those ridiculous twinnies would have been in the final leg (and they would have been except for getting screwed up going to the pit stop) and they also lived in NY.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #381
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob52 View Post

my2cents

It's not the first time the final leg was in a city where one team had a supposed advantage.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #382
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Quick poll: did anyone not recognize the UN?
Yup, right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
I can't stand how they refer to the Beekmans as "the gays", what's wrong with the goat farmers?
Yeah, that bothered me too. The only time I could see doing it is if the boys actually asked to be referred to as that. Can't imagine why anyone would though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I really wanted Jaymes and James to win, however the last three teams were nice.

Kinda of weird there were no previews for next season
I don't recall ever seeing previews for the next season. Sure you're not thinking of Survivor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwildernessishome View Post
Getting out of the straight jacket looked simple and fast enough, but I know I would have struggled. I have an old shoulder injury and really cant lift my left arm over my head, like they all did.
I got the impression that the teams were told how to get out of the jackets. Of course that wouldn't have helped you if you've got a bad shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think the Rockers would have smoked everyone on that last challenge. They seemed to be more in tune with the people of the countries and I seem to recall that they repeated back "hello" and "goodbye" on the mat.
That's true! Too bad we'll never know.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #383
travelbug24
Searches for Hidden Mickey's in carbonated beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
I wondered why Josh asked the guy about the dog (in French) in front of the other teams, when he could have asked someone privately and not revealed the location to the other teams.
I think he knew simple phrases and words from French 101 but to ask where is the stone dog and please reply in French so the others do not know what you are saying was a little more French than he knew.
travelbug24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #384
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
No problem with the winners but overall they were probably the least deserving off all the winners. They made so many mistakes along the way it just goes to show how weak this group of racers was.
I agree. And it seemed unfair that the last leg was in NYC - where one of them has lived for 5 years. Not a great ending for me.
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #385
Kimberle
WL Vet

I don't think NYC gave an advantage to the winners. It was anyone's game until the final challange. The girl had a meltdown and wasn't thinking clearly on the challange. The chip did ok, but the goat farmer kept his cool, had a little better "knack" for languages, and finished the challange first. The chips weren't far behind. Also, the goat farmers had a bit of trouble finding the finish line.

I though it was a good season. I was so happy the twin's were eliminate. I didn't like their attitude that they deserved/wanted the win more than the farmers.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #386
ctinct
DIS Veteran

Long time reader of this thread; first time commenter. I don't think the fact that the final destination was NYC gave Josh and Brent any advantage, but if it had, I surely think it would have been totally random. I'm glad the producers don't say, "We can't have this pair on because...."

My favorite bit of serendipity was the guy several seasons back (smart fellows---loved them, and I think they won) who spoke Japanese. That was huge! Oh, and of course, Victor and his sister spoke Chinese.
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #387
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Quick poll: did anyone not recognize the UN?
I did but DS15 did not. I actually went there on a field trip in 6th grade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
I was also pulling for Jaymes & James, but happy to see the Beekmans win it. Loved seeing Brent block the other players while running for the dog statue, and him yelling "Enjoy your speed bump!" to the twins. I wondered why Josh asked the guy about the dog (in French) in front of the other teams, when he could have asked someone privately and not revealed the location to the other teams.

While I realize Abby and Ryan were happy to see ANYBODY win it besides the 3 teams that ganged up on them, it looked like they were really rubbing it in Jaymes & James' faces the way they were jumping up & down at the Beekmans' win.
I didnt see it that way at all! I think they formed such a close bond with the Beekmans, working together, getting flight delayed together. I think they were surprised and thrilled for them.

As for NYC being the last leg, I am sure all of that is predetermined before the race starts. There are plenty of people who knew other cities as well. I didnt see an advanatge for the Beekmans. He kept his cool during the UN challenge. I said it right before he did, stop making it a language challange and make it a math challenge!

The Twinnies were awful, and karma is a b....!

I was rooting for the Chippendales but I am ok with the Beekmans
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #388
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

SO SO happy that Josh and Brent won! Loved how they played the game.

As someone who has lived in NYC for the last 5 years, I would not have had ANY advantage in the last leg. And I'm sure nor did Josh and Brent. Besides knowing where the UN is located (and any cab driver would too), there was nothing that gave an advantage to someone who lived there.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #389
esk
DIS Veteran

The twinnies were HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE! I liked them in the first few episodes, thought they were gutsy and go-getters but wow, they turned into nasty pieces of work. I can't think that they will be proud to see the shows and how they acted.

And I don't think it's a cultural thing, because they are Sri Lankan or whatever. Respect for other human beings, basic courtesies are universal and their parents should have taught them better.

Even Trey and Lexi were not downright mean, they were just trying to get a head, as any racer would be. They didn't resort to name calling and dirty tricks (except the money thing). I would not be proud to be Trey and Lexi either but would certainly hate to be a Twinnie or one of their parents.

Now, the Chippies's parents can be proud. Sure, their boys take their clothes off for money, but they have good manners, are polite, respectful and most of all kind. And kindness goes a long way. The Long Haired Rockers too.
esk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #390
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I was very surprised the Beekman boys ended up winning, but I was fine with it even though I would have preferred Jaymes and James. I was so happy when the Twinnies were eliminated, did not want them winning it for sure!! I enjoyed the season and hope it comes back for another season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: