Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

Baked French Toast recipe?

Does anyone have a baked French toast recipe they like?
Preferably one that can be put together the night before & baked in the morning .....and isn't soggy!!!

While we're on the subject, what else does everyone have for Christmas breakfast/brunch?
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Here's the one we've used the past few years. Not the healthiest choice, but really good!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1818...233194,00.html
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

This sounds delicious! DD#1 is allergic to cinnamon, but that can easily be omitted. Thanks for sharing.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Recipe
French Toast Loaf
Main Street Bake Shop
Magic Kingdom

YIELD: 1 Loaf

Ingredients:

12 slices day-old white bread (preferably a homestyle white, not Wonder Bread
type)

8 oz. butter (chilled and sliced)

Brown sugar batch:

9 oz, light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and set aside.

Batter:

10 oz. heavy cream
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and refrigerate until ready to use.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Method:

Liberally spray a loaf pan with Pam or other vegetable spray. Layer three slices day old bread on bottom of pan. Sprinkle 1/3 brown sugar mixture on top of bread, then layer 1/3 of the butter. Repeat these steps two more times. Top off with three more slices of bread (should have a total of 12 slices of bread). Press down with hand to compact bread into loaf pan.

Slowly pour 16 oz. of batter over top of loaf, covering completely. This may take a little time, to allow it to fully absorb into bread and flow into spaces at bottom. (Take
your time here and pour into corners. Lift bread at corners a little to get into bottom quicker if you want.)

Place loaf pan on some paper towel in case of overflow. Cover top of loaf with parchment paper and wrap top tightly with aluminum foil. Place in refrigerator and allow to sit overnight.

Heat oven to 325º F. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until internal temperature in center of loaf is 160 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Place a plate on top of loaf pan and invert to remove from pan. Cut into 7 slices and serve.

We usually heat up some blueberry pie filling and serve this on top, with a dollop of whipped cream

This is my traditional Christmas Day breakfast..yummy!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Can't help with the French toast casserole -- my family doesn't like them for the reasons you noted.

For Christmas morning, I do a casserole with egg and bacon -- make it the night before. I also make cinnamon rolls the night before -- put in the fridge. Rise while the casserole's baking, and then bake while the casserole's setting. Mmmmmm....

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I pinned one recent;y that is made in a crock pot. I haven't made it yet and am a bit nervous that it will be gummy, like bread pudding, so maybe I will do one of these instead.

Here is the crock pot one:

http://thecakeeccentric.wordpress.co...-french-toast/
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I have a recipe for Grand Marnier French toast that I am going to try. I've never had a baked French toast before and I hope that it is not soggy.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLDM
Does anyone have a baked French toast recipe they like?
Preferably one that can be put together the night before & baked in the morning .....and isn't soggy!!!

While we're on the subject, what else does everyone have for Christmas breakfast/brunch?
I don't have a recipe but I use egg nog this time of year instead of milk or cream.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Highly recommend Paula Deen's recipe. It's certainly not 'healthy', but absolutely a delicious treat for special occasions. I'll be making it for the third year in a row this Christmas:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...pe2/index.html
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I don't like it for the reasons you posted, too soggy. lol I make Monkey Bread, the family devours it. We have it with juice or hot chocolate or hot tea (the tea is really for me lol). I put it in the oven while we are opening gifts (I make it the night before) and then we eat it while it's still warm, sometimes we are still opening gifts. After that wears off we start munching on snacks, dips and things like that, then we eat our meal later that night.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I don't like it for the reasons you posted, too soggy. lol I make Monkey Bread, the family devours it. We have it with juice or hot chocolate or hot tea (the tea is really for me lol). I put it in the oven while we are opening gifts (I make it the night before) and then we eat it while it's still warm, sometimes we are still opening gifts. After that wears off we start munching on snacks, dips and things like that, then we eat our meal later that night.
I'm trying to figure out which recipe I will want to use for Christmas morning (hopefully late morning since I have a 14 and almost 19 year old).
Can you please tell me which one is too soggy for you.
THANKS!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
I'm trying to figure out which recipe I will want to use for Christmas morning (hopefully late morning since I have a 14 and almost 19 year old).
Can you please tell me which one is too soggy for you.
THANKS!
I've never found any of the recipes to turn out soggy. The bread absorbs the liquid overnight and as long as you bake the casserole for enough time, it sets up nicely.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

[QUOTE=soccerdad72;46899471]I've never found any of the recipes to turn out soggy. The bread absorbs the liquid overnight and as long as you bake the casserole for enough time, it sets up nicely.[/QUOTE

Same here. I have made the Main St French Toast Loaf at least a dozen times..never soggy!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
try the pioneer womans! I make it every Xmas! LOVE and so easy!
Thanks for mentioning this recipe! Along with OP, I don't like soggy french toast....and all the french toast casseroles I've made turn out that way.

The Pioneer Woman's recipe notes to cook it longer if you want a crispier texture. So that's what I plan to do!

Here's the recipe if anyone else is interested:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

diznee25

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: