Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
MinnieMSue
Earning My Ears

When we did the Trek in July the food arrived later in the tour -actually at the lunch area - and someone requested vegetarian at arrival for the tour. So while I would call in advance you could probably tell them at the start and be OK. They also made a child meal for my DD. Tuscar house makes the meals. The entire day was sold out because some people walked up requesting tours. There is a shorter booking window for the Trek than the 180 day. My travel agent called every MWF for weeks waiting to book but I can't remember exactly but I think it was something like 90 day give or take. We found the tour to be worth every penny - my DD does have a bird phobia and we did not realize that there is a walk through an aviary but she even tolerated that
MinnieMSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
TinkerTracy
Wow so much is going on
Official thread promoter. Where's my bullhorn at?
I am incredibly hard to embarrass

I have been on this tour! I loved it!
We started off with some amazing POG juice and snacks. They weighed us and suited us up with the equipment for the suspension bridges. Our guides talked us through everything and we practiced on a small bridge to make sure we had the hang of everything. They give you a locker to put all your valuable in, as you are NOT ALLOWED to bring anything with you that is not attached to you (they give you an attachable water bottle and camera strap for a small camera). Then we set out on the backstage of the safari. We were making our way through dense tress and foliage and finally we emerged by the hippo pool! We got a chance to feed the hippos! There was a 'hippo expert" there to give us tons of information about hippos. We got to utilize the 'lean forward' aspect here. We attached our harness to a pole behind us and we were able to lean forward over the edge to get close. There was a photopass photographer there the entire time snapping pictures. Then we got to keep going and we did the same things with the alligators! We climbed several of those bridges high about the safari! After all this we boarded a private safari vehicle! We took a tour of the KS ride (but we were able to pull over and stop whenever we wanted)! We stopped for breakfast/lunch at the little outpost you see on the safari ride. We had a fabulous and healthy lunch that included hummus, peta bread, some kind of salmon and an edible flower! At the end of the safari we got to choose an animal that they would donate 10% of our tour money to! It was such an amazing experience. The only downside I would say is we did this in August and it was SO SO SO HOT! I would have rather done this in a cooler month, but it is still one of my favorite tours we have ever done!

TinkerTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
buzzgirls&dad
DIS Veteran

Not to hijack but, we have this scheduled three weeks from today! We are scheduled before the park opens and will be driving.

I've heard that the tollways are not open to Ak very early will this be a problem?

I would assume that like with other parks there is a gate that is open for ressies, which side is that on?

Where do we go once inside the park?

TIA--we are so excited to do this
'12 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP--Wild Africa Jungle Trek
'13 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP-lunch with an Imagineer
'14 Mar-Aulani'14Oct-BCV/MNSSHP/F&W

"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
buzzgirls&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

AK Wilf Africa Trek

Just booked this today for December. Got the 2nd slot at 8:45 and 8 am was still available, but opted for the 8:45 time. If the park has EMH at 8, you just go right in, if not or if you are the first timeslot, she told me that they guides will be waiting for you outside the gate. I don't think we'll have lunch, do you since we are leaving at 8:45, I didn't even think to ask. Giving this to my DD and DH for their special WDW secret surprise..last year we did MNSSHP & upgraded to business class last minute, this year it's an African Trek as my special surprise to them!! Woot! No open toed shoes, nothing you can't hang with a carbiner onto your safety strap or clothes. No dresses -- I had to laugh because she said you'd be surprise what people show up in!!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
MinnieMSue
Earning My Ears

You will have breakfast on the 8:45 Trek. We had breakfast on the 9:30 Trek too which was what I was actually hoping for
MinnieMSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMSue
You will have breakfast on the 8:45 Trek. We had breakfast on the 9:30 Trek too which was what I was actually hoping for
What did you get?

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgirls&dad View Post
Not to hijack but, we have this scheduled three weeks from today! We are scheduled before the park opens and will be driving.

I've heard that the tollways are not open to Ak very early will this be a problem?

I would assume that like with other parks there is a gate that is open for ressies, which side is that on?

Where do we go once inside the park?

TIA--we are so excited to do this
If by the tollways you mean the booths - they open at 7:30 it seems (or so I've found even on EMH mornings. Since you can park really close in and the walk only takes a few minutes it's not a problem.

Once you get to the entrance gates they clearly let you know where the Trek folks should be. Someone will meet you outside the gates if the park isn't already open and that includes EMH mornings when it opens at 8. On an EMH morning we saw the people for the Trek meeting around a tree near the right hand side of the turnstiles.

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

we did an 8:00 a.m. trek. boys were 17, 10, & 8. we were told the guide would meet us outside the gate--they did not. they met us and another couple past the park entry closer to stroller rentals. we could tell by her vest. we were weighed in & put our belongings in a locker & fitted for our vests, then had our morning juice. there is quite a bit of walking, but some rest stops along the way, so it is a pace where everyone keeps together.

This is a wonderful backstage encounter where you are up close and can experience the animals, in the morning see them eating, and ask many questions. The hippos were extremely playful & interactive and so close!

Moving on we made our way to the bridge which had missing planks, oh my!

And it hovers over the crocs! But we made it!

Our mid-morning breakfast was served in a nice canteen. We had 30 minutes to relax and freshen up. They gave us cool washcloths. They provide binoculars for us to use.

Overall, we loved the Trek. They will stop the vehicle, allow you to get some nice pics. Not rushed and the guides did a wonderful job.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
LauraK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride

What did you get?
We just did the trek two weeks ago and we got:

Salmon roulade with jicama slaw
Brie
Dried beef and ham
3 pitas (good to put some ham and Brie in)
Melon
Yogurt and granola
Fig cake (YUM)
Edible flower
Juice

That was considered the breakfast one. They said the lunch one had chicken salad instead of yogurt and I think something else ( I can't remember).

1996 - Honeymoon at Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge
1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2006 - 10th Anniversary Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Coronado Springs and Polynesian
2009 - Pop Century
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside

LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
hawaiiangal
Earning My Ears

I'm scheduled for an early morning 8am Trek in December. I scheduled Tusker House at 11:30am. I thought the food served during the Trek was more of a snack, which is why I scheduled Tusker House (plus I've heard its great). The pictures look like its actually a bit more than just a snack. Did you get full from it?
hawaiiangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
LauraK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiangal
I'm scheduled for an early morning 8am Trek in December. I scheduled Tusker House at 11:30am. I thought the food served during the Trek was more of a snack, which is why I scheduled Tusker House (plus I've heard its great). The pictures look like its actually a bit more than just a snack. Did you get full from it?
We considered it more of a snack. I didn't eat the salmon or melon and also didn't eat breakfast so we were hungry for lunch. We had lunch at yak & yeti for lunch when our tour ended.

1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2009 - Pop Century

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

A camera question: if I brought my Canon Rebel dslr would that be acceptable or is a point and shoot recommended? I'm asking because a previous poster said that they were leaning forward over cliffs to feed the hippos and alligators (I can just picture ME doing that!!!) and am trying to figure out if my bigger camera would be in the way.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

So I'm considering this tour for our upcoming anniversary trip but I have a couple questions and I'm hoping you all might be able to help!

I'm Pooh sized, and although if I continue on my current path I should be about 15 pounds lighter by the time we take our trip, I'm wondering about the whole "weighing in" and "fitting vests." Can anyone tell me if there is a weight limit? Do they have vests that will fit me?

Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
LauraK
Mouseketeer

I believe the weight limit is 350 lbs, and the weighing in process is very discreet. Only the guide can see your weight.

There are two racks of vests, they weighed us and then chose a vest. There were so many vests I don't think there would BA any problems finding one for everyone.

Have fun!

1997 - Dixie Landings
1998 - Polynesian
1998 - Dixie Landings
1999 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - All Star Sports
2003 - Polynesian
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2009 - Pop Century

Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

the weighing in is discreet, the guide does it briefly & gets the gear you need. The weighing in moment is a second. You then step into your gear & zip up & do a trial run with it in the demo area. If you see the first picture in my post #23. The caribiner clip attaches to those harnesses behind you. safety. you are right at the edge of the cliff of the hippos attached the harness by your vest & caribiner clip. They demo & have you redemo how to unclip yourself. You attach again when going over the rickety bridge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: