Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Talking OMG!!!!! Incredible news!!!!!!!

If this belongs on the budget board, feel free to move it.

I got the bill from my MRI today. It had originally been 4000 due to being a full body one. With my insurance, it is now.....

Insert faint.

OMG. I couldn't believe it!!!!! I was so happy!

Just wanted to share!
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Thats awesome!
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Thank goodness for insurance! .

Hope your results are good news too. Praying for you.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Thank goodness for insurance! .

Hope your results are good news too. Praying for you.

Yep. See ticker. All issues resolved.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Crazy how that works, ya know.

DH had an xray to check on his lungs (he had pneumonia last year, and they found a spot on his lungs). For the doctor to make a copy of his xray for Mayo clinic, charged the insurance company $30. They paid 1.80.

TB test, charged $87.79, Insurance paid 2.09

All the other blood tests need to put him on the transplant list: $466.72 Insurance Paid $92.05

The best I have found is his dialysis. For 6 months, the cost was (for supplies/machine) $456,908. Total out of pocket for us: $0 (medicare picked up the majority, secondary insurance covered the rest). Total paid: $15,906

How are they making money, because I'm not seeing it here...
Jedana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
bethy
I love Disneyland best at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post

DH had an xray to check on his lungs (he had pneumonia last year, and they found a spot on his lungs). For the doctor to make a copy of his xray for Mayo clinic, charged the insurance company $30. They paid 1.80.

All the other blood tests need to put him on the transplant list: $466.72 Insurance Paid $92.05

The best I have found is his dialysis. For 6 months, the cost was (for supplies/machine) $456,908. Total out of pocket for us: $0 (medicare picked up the majority, secondary insurance covered the rest). Total paid: $15,906

One way they make up the difference is through the insurance premiums. Another way is by charging folks who don't have or use insurance $4000 for the MRI or $$456,000 for dialysis (I know this from personal experience). Another way - I'm just guessing - is to raise taxes to pay for Medicare and Medicaide.

I am honestly not being snide here - not at all. This is just my personal opinion as to how the medical community manages to make at least enough profit to pay their employees a living wage and pay for research of new technologies and treatments, etc. The money has to come from somewhere.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
averill94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post

I got the bill from my MRI today. It had originally been 4000 due to being a full body one. With my insurance, it is now.....

Insert faint.

Just wanted to share!
THat is great news!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethy View Post
One way they make up the difference is through the insurance premiums. Another way is by charging folks who don't have or use insurance $4000 for the MRI or $$456,000 for dialysis (I know this from personal experience). Another way - I'm just guessing - is to raise taxes to pay for Medicare and Medicaide.

I am honestly not being snide here - not at all. This is just my personal opinion as to how the medical community manages to make at least enough profit to pay their employees a living wage and pay for research of new technologies and treatments, etc. The money has to come from somewhere.
And how many people who don't have insurance to begin with are actually going to ever pay that $456,000 or even the $4,000? As an insurance biller in my past life, I can tell you not many.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
jlima
Beep Beep!

Quote:

I can beat that.

DS18 was premature; and his hospital bill after a 10 week stay was about $252,000; his doctor bills were about $32,000 and my hospital bill was about $14,000; and my doctor bills were about $3,000.

We paid 10% of everything, until our annual family out-of-pocket limit was met - $2,500.

Insurance picked up everything else. After he was discharged, I got a statement for the $252,000 amount; and it had a zero balance. Very surreal moment and yes; thank God for insurance!

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:

Insert faint.

Just wanted to share!
Well glad you are happy! If I got that bill I would be upset LOL- I paid 20.00 for my MRI's- I can't imagine having to pay 405.00 for each one!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post

Pretty clear they are making money, given the profits the people who own hospitals and testing facilities make. Ignore the sticker price just like at the car dealer. Forget the list price of $87.79 for the TB test, look at the $2.09, and realize THEY MADE MONEY at that price.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Quote:

!
Just an FYI for anyone contemplating an expensive test/procedure-any Doctor's office can tell you immediatley what you will owe-they call your Insurance, see if you met deductable or what the parameters are-and tell you before you do the test. I cant imagine taking an expensive test without knowing this

Another FYI-if you are a long time patient, lose good Medical coverage-your Doctor may do the test/procedure for what he would have collected when you HAD insurance-my DR did this when i lost my job and had only "basic' Insurance
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post
Just an FYI for anyone contemplating an expensive test/procedure-any Doctor's office can tell you immediatley what you will owe-they call your Insurance, see if you met deductable or what the parameters are-and tell you before you do the test. I cant imagine taking an expensive test without knowing this

Another FYI-if you are a long time patient, lose good Medical coverage-your Doctor may do the test/procedure for what he would have collected when you HAD insurance-my DR did this when i lost my job and had only "basic' Insurance

A couple years ago I had a chest xray because I was sick and it was determined I had pneumonia. Upon looking at the x-ray there was a very suspicious spot on one of my lungs. At the time, I did not have health insurance coverage--DH's new job did not cover DD and I and I was buying my own but it did not kick in until midnight within the next 48 hours.

If I had good insurance, the doctor would have sent me for a CT scan but it was going to cost me something like $1000. + OOP, which at the time, I felt I could not pay.

So he had me wait 2 weeks and go back in for another chest x-ray to follow up and if still there, he'd send me on for more tests. Thank God it was gone on the follow-up.

However, both of the chest rays were done free of charge for me by the doctor. I cried all the way home & wrote him a Thank You note as soon as I walked in the door.
I know it probably wasn't much to him but it meant a lot to me esp. at that time in our lives--every penny counted! I've been cutting hair for 29 yrs. and over those years I've also had clients lose jobs and fall on hard times. I've always given them free haircuts when that happens because I'm sure a haircut would probably be cut from the budget or at least they'd stretch it out by weeks more at a time. Everyone knows what a bad hair day does to us...so it is a gift that I can give and do because others have given to me.

When you feel blessed, I truly think you should pass it on--having insurance is something we all must pay for to have it and some are better than others, but I still feel like we are fortunate when amounts like the OP's (or better) happen & then I feel like passing a little extra on to someone else in need is a wonderful thing to do.

Good luck OP! I hope it all works out for you.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
trip
family trip planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post

Dentists will do this also. I needed some oral surgery and had used up my yearly allowance. My surgeon charged me $3000 instead of the $6500 he would have if I had any insurance left.

Last edited by trip; 09-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Ceila
DIS Veteran

I'm confused - why the need for a full-body MRI when the issue is infertility? Wouldn't an MRI focusing on the reproductive system have been just as effective and less expensive? I've never heard of a full MRI for this issue, and I have several close friends who have dealt with infertility for years.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: