Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

There are coupons available for Mimi's on their website and other coupons for restaurants in DtD (check the Patina Group website). Those can help with the budget. Also check for coupons in the OC Visitor's booklets at your hotel.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

We like the corndogs from Stagedoor because they actually come with fries as opposed to the other places that only serve them with chips.

The carne asada platter at Rancho is great to split. It comes with lots of meat, tortillas, two enchiladas, plus beans and rice. I believe it's 12.00.

We find that if we stock up on snacks to bring inside the parks (we shops sales during the weeks leading up to our trip) we end up spending way less on meals and when we do decide to eat, DH and I can split a burger meal or an order of pomme frites and be satisfied.

Have you signed up for emails from the patina group? If you have a birthday coming up they will send you a gift certificate good for $30 at three or four of the Downtown Disney restaurants. Tortilla Joes, The Italian Place, Cafe....something. I'm so sorry, I can't remember the names. But it will pay for a meal.

*edited* Sorry, Lucky! I missed your advice about the Patina Group in your previous post!

Last edited by Ingrid0382; 09-30-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Whoops
Ingrid0382 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express in Downtown Disney always struck me as fairly good prices for on-site. Another site shows conflicting info, but it looks like it's between $6.59-$6.99 for a burger and fries, or $9.99 for a platter with chicken and shrimp and fries. I reckon some sort of splitting could be arranged to keep you under $20.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/di...taurant.id=534

Plaza Inn and Rancho del Zocalo often come up as "splittable" options, even in this thread!

If you go for the soup in a breadbowl, you can get the soup in a bowl with the breadbowl on the side, and then save part of your breadbowl for later. It might make splitting easier as well. Or even eat some of the bread with skewers at Bengal Barbecue (I've done that!).

The Harbor Galley in New Orleans Square reportedly sells large baked potatoes; you could maybe split 2 of them for something like $15 and then share a popcorn or another snack.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by $20 per meal...if you are thinking breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I'd definitely bring some breakfast fixings (even just instant oatmeal) and eat breakfast in the room, then put the savings toward lunch and dinner (or snacks, but I have a bit of a sweet tooth ). And/or, you may be able to have a large, late lunch and then a light dinner...that works well for me in hot weather.

El Pollo Loco is off-site and not walkable, unfortunately.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Scribble Kitty
Mouseketeer

My budget meals are always the soup/bread bowl combo and the baked potatoes. Mighty delicious, more then enough to fill me up and pretty cheap.

I bring in my own water and small snacks like granola bars, Rice Krispie treats, and peanut butter filled pretzels. Great for holding you over until you get a meal break.

I've also had Jamba Juice smoothies for meals with the vitamin boost.
Scribble Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid0382 View Post
Have you signed up for emails from the patina group?!
Unfortunately the only birthday in our group is only turning 11 and you have to be 21 for the birthday club. BUMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
Though I'm not sure what you mean by $20 per meal.....eat breakfast in the room, then put the savings toward lunch and dinner
The only meals we are purchasing is lunch & dinner, so no "savings" from breakfast. Breakfast will be whatever is available at the hotel (cereal).
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

allears.net has all of the menus, descriptions and prices. You have to go to Disneyland, then dining and then sort by park/ hotel or DTD restaurant.

We do Rancho del Zachallo. The have a half rotisseries chicken with bean, rice and tortillas for under $12. You can add one of the other menu items and have more than enough for 3 people. The tortillas and refried beans make great burritos to help fill the gaps.

There is several hot dog and corn dog places that really help save pennies too.
Personally, for our family Bengal BBQ ends up being expensive as everone wants two skewers. They arent very big, especially for a guy.

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
ballarinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Mel522
DIS Veteran

We didn't get a single meal at Disneyland or California Adventure that couldn't have been split. Most of the time it was $25-35 for 4 adults and one child.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Unfortunately the only birthday in our group is only turning 11 and you have to be 21 for the birthday club. BUMMER!
Not to be contrary, but I believe you're still eligible to receive the certificate! Hopefully others will chime in, but my 11 year-old used one with no problem.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid0382 View Post
Not to be contrary, but I believe you're still eligible to receive the certificate! Hopefully others will chime in, but my 11 year-old used one with no problem.
The "rules" say you have to be 21 or older - my guess is they think you will buy alcohol and make up for the $$. Did you you have to show any proof of age/DOB for your 11yo?

Maybe I will go ahead and sign up my niece and see what happens.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #25
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

We have gluten issues, so the bread bowl idea won't work well for us . Bummer!

We bring lunch and lots of snacks-trail mix, cheese sticks, may try cottage cheese or lunch meat- but not sure if they'll let us bring in lunch meat? frozen yogurt tubes, nuts, Cliff bars, rice Krispy treats, and water bottles . We're planning 1 meal in the parks, w/ likely a snack or treat (ice cream, tigger tail, etc.) if we're hungry enough. Having plenty of snacks in your backpack makes good use of show times or long waits . And really stretches the budget!!

We do usually do Zocalo, good to know about the carne meal! Thx!

Any salads particularly large?

Also, ordering the kids meal usually is enough food for an adult, if you're ok w/ doing that ethically . I might ask a CM while ordering to see if it'd be ok? Very tempting!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #26
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
... We bring lunch and lots of snacks-trail mix, cheese sticks, may try cottage cheese or lunch meat- but not sure if they'll let us bring in lunch meat? frozen yogurt tubes, nuts, Cliff bars, rice Krispy treats, and water bottles ...

We do usually do Zocalo, good to know about the carne meal! Thx!

Any salads particularly large?

Also, ordering the kids meal usually is enough food for an adult, if you're ok w/ doing that ethically . I might ask a CM while ordering to see if it'd be ok? Very tempting!
Bringing in sandwiches is fine, but bringing in sandwich fixings (bread and separate lunch meat) is not.

I think the taco salad at Rancho del Zocalo is pretty large. It's been a while since we shared one, but I don't think we could finish it.

It is totally fine and ethical for an adult to order a child's meal at any CS restaurant in the parks. If ordering a child's meal for an adult at a TS restaurant, just ask the server and offer to pay the adult price if necessary. There should be no problems at all.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #27
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Regarding lunch meat, I've also heard repeatedly that you can't bring in sandwich fixings (like Theluckyrabbit said). If you "prepare" the lunch meat, I imagine you'd probably get it in without as much difficulty. For instance, if you made roll-ups with lettuce (if you have any) or cheese, made sandwiches of lettuce and bread, put it in/on a salad, etc.

If you tried to bring in unprepared lunch meat, you might be able to get through if you tell them it's for special dietary needs/etc. But one could buy bread at the resorts, so Disney could still assume you were going to use it to make sandwiches, which would not be OK. There are gluten-free options, for what it's worth.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #28
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The "rules" say you have to be 21 or older - my guess is they think you will buy alcohol and make up for the $$. Did you you have to show any proof of age/DOB for your 11yo?

If memory serves, someone from the boards actually called Patina Group or one of the participating restaurants and was given the green light. I can do some digging through the old threads talking about this tomorrow for you.

We handed over the certificate at the end of the meal, but we explained to our server that we would be using it before we ordered. Even when we've used these for myself or DH, no one has ever checked our IDs

Maybe there's been some kind of crackdown as knowledge that this offer is available, spreads.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #29
mshrm
Mouseketeer

Sorry I didn't realize you needed walking distance to parks. There is an El Pollo Loco on harbor but it's a bit down from Disney. We're a large group and always eat on a budget so we do them every trip.
mshrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #30
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

rainforest cafe 25bucks sign up for there select card, get it back on the first visit have a bday in that month put it down as your bday and get 25 back. we did this and today we have 50bucks to eat there with 10 paid in cash and we will have a good meal tonight
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: