Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #61
jackparts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post
I already did. See some of my previous posts.
As someone was kind enough to post that it was deleted, would you post your RCCL meals again and please Webmaster, let us see what she found ok to eat.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #62
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain View Post
OK, that does sound pretty good but it's not vegan! Vegans don't eat eggs.
I said that she is mostly vegan. She isn't when she is restricted on a cruise. She knows when she eats out she isn't going to get vegan food. But she wanted to cruise. You kinda of are concorned on a cruise.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #63
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm certainly not a "troll"

I did ask my server on day 2 (only a 3 nighter) if there were any other options for me as I didn't eat seafood red meat and that was when I was told I could order off the kids menu. Could I have made a bigger deal out of it and escalated it.... sure, but I didn't feel like it was going to get me anywhere.

For those that posted the menu's, I did have the black bean thing in AP and it was blah. in EG I had 2 soups and a salad and in RP I tried the mushroom pasta but I'm not really a mushroom person, so there ya go....

It would be nice if they did offer some sort of generic menu for bland eating people like me to fall back on
Isn't that what the children's menu is for? They serve plain pasta on the children's menu.

But as you said you were on a 3 night cruise so, it was probably harder for them to accomandate you since you didn't tell in advance what you like to eat. But honestly, I don't know if they would have been able to help you unless you told them you had some sort of health issue or you eat a restricted diet based on whether you eat Kosher, vegan, vegetarian, sugar free, reduced salted menu, etc... I'm not sure any cruise line would let you call up and say I only like these foods and I would like them available for eating. I sure everyone has a different definition of what is bland food. Where as the other restricted diet plans are pretty regulated and have standards.

I've been on RCCL cruise and the choices are pretty similar to DCL. I didn't see the difference.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #64
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ummmm, nope. My post #24 is still there.....
You post #24 says nothing about what you ate on RCCL. It does say what you tried on DCL.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #65
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
I'm newer to posting here, but I post alot on cruise critic... as a Diamond (almost Plus) member of Royal Caribbean... we sail alot.

I got a great last minute Fl resident rate and decided to take my daughter on the Dream since she didn't have school.

The ship was beautiful, the service was fine, but the food was AWFUL. I had seriously high hopes from all the reviews of everyone saying how fantastic the food is etc.... I do not eat seafood, I do not eat red meat, and I rarely eat chicken. When I told my server this, he made no effort to help get me a meal that I could eat... so every night I had soup for dinner. And if your hungry late afternoon the only option is the fast-foody type stuff on the pool deck... there's only so much pizza a girl can eat . I asked on the 2nd and 3rd night if there was any type of pasta option I could have and I was told I could order off the kids menu. Really??? very dissapointing.

I'm sure we'll sail again on Disney for our daughter, buy probably not for a long time.

I feel like the menu is more for someone with an adventurous palete... if that's not to your liking there is no "safe" list to choose from. =(
Yikes! What DO you eat? I'm picky - not into really fancy stuff - and I've learned that sometimes the names are fancier than the foods!

If you didn't try the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes, you missed a dish that is to die for!

My younger daughter isn't really adventurous either, and at almost 13 doesn't care to order from the kids menu. She never had any trouble getting pasta dishes - alfredo, red sauce, white sauce, with veggies - when we specifically asked about pasta dishes, we were given many options. She was also able to get chicken or chicken fingers as a side with her pasta.

What do you eat on RCCL?

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #66
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I hear what you are saying--I suspect my meal choices are fairly similar to yours. Except I never would have even tried anything called mushroom pasta! LOL! I ordered a plain steak and a baked potato every single night except for the night that I didn't order a main dish at all because I was so tired of bland steak. Mostly I ate baked potato for my dinners. DCL does make a good baked potato, for future reference. One night I also tried ordering something off the children's menu to have with my meal and I was rather mortified to have it served to me on the children's divided plate. I went back to my baked potato after that.

However, I still LOVED my cruise. I went on this cruise knowing I wouldn't be very into the food. I read the menus before booking and paying for the cruise and I knew that there wasn't much of anything on there that I liked. I was fully prepared for this. My palate is hard to please and DCL is known for many wonderful things--but their cuisine is not high on the list.

And for those wondering--you can eat baked potato and bread (plus a few bites of steak) for dinner for six nights and not gain any weight if you take the stairs on your cruise! LOL! We took the elevator just twice on our seven night cruise.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #67
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
NO ONE on the high seas has better entertainment than Disney.
I beg to differ and again attribute the above type of sentiment to people not having had exposure to the other lines out there. Yes, DCL offers shows with Disney theming - but they feature canned recorded music. Most other lines feature a full live band backing their productions.

And Disney showroom offerings outside their theme-parkish productions are very limited compared to competitors (I have never seen impressionists on DCL, but they are readily present on other lines, as are sharp comedians which are sparse to non existent on the Disney ships).

And returning to the subject of music, the live musical entertainment on DCL is vastly smaller and inferior compared to what I have seen on other lines. On the Magic back in the summer of 2011, poolside entertainment consisted of an amateurish trio that relied heavily on backing tracks. As comparison, when we sailed on Princess the prior summer, music by the pool was provided by alternating, five to six piece truly live bands of absolute top quality.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #68
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Don't mind me. Just here for the show

I've never been on a cruise of any kind, so I can't comment, but despite any negative I am very much looking forward to my first DCL cruise!

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #69
axfather
Mouseketeer

For the Veg. or mostly veg. (Try Food from India)

Try to ask the head server to bring you an Indian meal. Yum Yum....there are several chefs/cooks on board from India so they do it very well.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #70
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
I beg to differ and again attribute the above type of sentiment to people not having had exposure to the other lines out there. Yes, DCL offers shows with Disney theming - but they feature canned recorded music. Most other lines feature a full live band backing their productions.

And returning to the subject of music, the live musical entertainment on DCL is vastly smaller and inferior compared to what I have seen on other lines. On the Magic back in the summer of 2011, poolside entertainment consisted of an amateurish trio that relied heavily on backing tracks. As comparison, when we sailed on Princess the prior summer, music by the pool was provided by alternating, five to six piece truly live bands of absolute top quality.
Please specify which cruise lines have vastly superior entertainment. I've been on six other lines, and have yet to see a full live band backing their productions. Some had off-key groups trying to sing in the atrium. Others had high-school level Broadway productions that we couldn't wait to end. The hypnotist on one was embarrassingly amateurish.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #71
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Can't really agree with this...you could make the same comment about entertainment...shows...itineraries. Something that many people like may not please others in any of these categories...it doesn't mean that opinions are therefore invalid. Diversity of opinion is a good thing and allows the broadest range of people to make the best choices for them.

I am a food snob and make no claim to being anything but that--and you know what, there are a lot of people like me, and if you lined 100 of us up and say "Is DCL's food good or not?", at least 95 would say no. There's nothing wrong with communicating that.
The problem with that is that it is your opinion and not fact. I could say the opposite but I won't. I have don't have statistics to back up a statement like that nor do you. I do agree that even entertainment is subjective.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #72
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

While on the Magic, I could not get a fried egg in Palo. Yes, that's right. I went to the brunch and asked for a fried egg. They couldn't do it. I also have dietary needs, and it seemed quite an effort to find a dish that a sauce did not come on. I was told that these foods come pre-prepared and so other than a steak or baked chicken, the choices are limited.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #73
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can't really agree with this...you could make the same comment about entertainment...shows...itineraries. Something that many people like may not please others in any of these categories...it doesn't mean that opinions are therefore invalid. Diversity of opinion is a good thing and allows the broadest range of people to make the best choices for them.

I am a food snob and make no claim to being anything but that--and you know what, there are a lot of people like me, and if you lined 100 of us up and say "Is DCL's food good or not?", at least 95 would say no. There's nothing wrong with communicating that.
So if I am readng this correctly, 95% of food snobs say DCL food is bad?..and you can prove this?

So then all the rest of us and there are many many posts saying that DCL food is fine to great...........we all don't count?..only the 95% that you claim to represent?

Just doesn't seem to add up in my mind.

AKK
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #74
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
Yikes! What DO you eat? I'm picky - not into really fancy stuff - and I've learned that sometimes the names are fancier than the foods!

If you didn't try the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes, you missed a dish that is to die for!

My younger daughter isn't really adventurous either, and at almost 13 doesn't care to order from the kids menu. She never had any trouble getting pasta dishes - alfredo, red sauce, white sauce, with veggies - when we specifically asked about pasta dishes, we were given many options. She was also able to get chicken or chicken fingers as a side with her pasta.

What do you eat on RCCL?
Well, to be fair all she did was knock out MOST meats and thats really a very small % of food that is out there. I think as a whole our society places a LOT of interest in meat, but really there are TONS of things out there aside from meat that you CAN eat if it is offered. I do think that she would have been better off asking someone else, her server seems to have dropped the ball.

For the record, I don't eat baby ANYTHING, not veal, not lamb, anything that I know was slaughtered when it wasn't an adult turns me off. Don't ask why, I *know* its absurd that I am willing to eat it later in its life.. lol! I also do not eat chicken since I have a pet chicken on my mother in law's farm. Even those few no nos would make a LOT of people blush, and does, let me assure you, but I find PLENTY to eat otherwise. Most of my favourite dishes are vegetarian and I don't understand how she had such a hard time of it either. I found tons to eat on the ship, but then likely it helped that I like steak, pork tenderloins, turkey (no heartstrings to a pet there!) and shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
....Is that like "a little bit pregnant"?...........
It's easier for her, I'm sure. Sometimes people choose to indulge, but don't want to have a host of people not ready to meet their usual dietary requirements. Example: girl feels like crap because she was not able to find enough protein in her meals on the ship, so she cheats and eats eggs to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axfather View Post
Try to ask the head server to bring you an Indian meal. Yum Yum....there are several chefs/cooks on board from India so they do it very well.
I kind of want to do this just because I love spice (doesn't have to be HOT spice!), and Indian food tends to be very delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
While on the Magic, I could not get a fried egg in Palo. Yes, that's right. I went to the brunch and asked for a fried egg. They couldn't do it. I also have dietary needs, and it seemed quite an effort to find a dish that a sauce did not come on. I was told that these foods come pre-prepared and so other than a steak or baked chicken, the choices are limited.
If that was brunch I could see it... Seems like most things are prepared for that ahead of time and by brunch they are in full swing preparing themselves and the kitchen for dinner.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #75
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
....Is that like "a little bit pregnant"?...........
I know.... I eat meat so, while I understand that she prefers to eat Vegan I don't know how you can do it in some situations with the limited food choices. I've learned all kinds of things like she can't eat just regular marshmallows because they contain some sort of animal by product. She has to eat vegan marshmallows. Anyways, on the cruise she knew it would be very difficult to eat 100% vegan so, she ate mostly vegetarian. I don't question her ideas but it is really isn't my place.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: