Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #136
reigle4
with magicdust is the only way to travel

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post
I'm certainly not a "troll"

I did ask my server on day 2 (only a 3 nighter) if there were any other options for me as I didn't eat seafood red meat and that was when I was told I could order off the kids menu. Could I have made a bigger deal out of it and escalated it.... sure, but I didn't feel like it was going to get me anywhere.

For those that posted the menu's, I did have the black bean thing in AP and it was blah. in EG I had 2 soups and a salad and in RP I tried the mushroom pasta but I'm not really a mushroom person, so there ya go....

It would be nice if they did offer some sort of generic menu for bland eating people like me to fall back on
I have cruised RC before and they have alot of the same foods that Disney has so how do you eat on the RC cruises.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #137
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigle4 View Post
I have cruised RC before and they have alot of the same foods that Disney has so how do you eat on the RC cruises.
Many have asked that question and none have received an answer yet!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #138
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
The reality for the OP is that the vast majority of the 3000 guests aboard DCL eat chicken, beef and seafood, so the menus obviously cater to the majority. If someone makes a personal life decision to be a vegan or vegetarian, the further reality is that it is a lifestyle choice which results in complications at meal time (and this is true whether it is a purely personal decison or one made for medical reasons). The cruise line uses its limited resources deciding between making the vast majority of passengers happy at dinner service, or the relative minority - and ultimately chooses the majority.

My guess is that menus haven't changed for "veggies" in the last five years because there is no calling or need to make any changes given the relatively small number of guests who fit into this category. Again, there are negative consequences involved for choosing (or needing) dietary fare that is unique or not shared by the vast majority of the paying guests. Having said that, I have seen passengers approach head servers and even individual chefs in both the buffets and rotational dining rooms to explain their specific dietary restrictions and, so long as enough lead time is given to the kitchen, I have seen DCL (and other cruise lines) do whatever it is possible to accommodate their individual guests.

To criticize the food on DCL because one does not eat what nearly every other guest aboard the ship does appears a bit unfair and shortsighted.
I've stayed out of this conversation until I read this comment. As a long-term vegetarian who also has a dairy allergy and due to earlier dietary issues, a seafood and shellfish allergy, I find your statement a bit uninformed. Being a vegetarian is no more of a lifestyle choice than it is for others to choose to eat meat. Humans do not and never have needed meat to fill their protein needs but we do need protein in our diets. We can easily live as herbivores with no adverse affect on our health.

Most places when you say you are vegetarian, they first ask if you eat seafood - no true vegetarian eats seafood. Then, they offer you a salad, as if you don't have any need for protein. While vegetarians may be a minority in the US, they are far more prevalent in others parts of the world, many of whom cruise with Disney. WDW is wonderful at filling our needs. While I understand that the ships are more limited in their capacity, they can do it much easier than the waiters seem to imply. The vegetarian offerings on DCL were for the most part awful. But, I had wonderful meals on DCL, only by asking that the chef prepare something different for me - if you like Indian food, you will be nicely surprised by asking for the chef to prepare a vegetarian Indian meal for you. Not only will you get the best meal of your cruise, the chef will go out of his/her way to prepare a delicious dessert for you.

I also had issues with my allergies, which should not happen. I have a dairy allergy, which I noted in our reservation and confirmed with the concierge staff when we sailed. One evening, I thought the bread (cornbread) might contain dairy. Sure enough, it did as did the other bread they served with it. I was terribly disappointed with DCL, which prides itself on its allergy-free kitchens, for not making sure our waiter knew to check our bread course.

One final comment, while the OP isn't a vegetarian, I wanted to point out to those who are and might read this thread that some of the items WDW/DCL say are vegetarian might not be - if they contain cheese, make sure it is vegetarian cheese, not cheese made with animal rennet. In particular, parmesan by definition is not vegetarian but there are places that offer vegetarian parmesan.

I agree that the OP should not say that the food was awful; they should state that they didn't like the food offered. Had he/she checked beforehand, he/she would have learned that there were other choices that could have been made.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #139
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Can anyone comment how accommodating DCL is with serving Gluten Free food? Six months ago it was confirmed that I had to switch to a GF diet. Searching other cruise lines, it seems some are better with this than others. ( Norweigen cruise line is the best so far in the industry). Any comments about DCL would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #140
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

This thread has turned in many directions and all opinions have been heard so I am going to close it.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: