Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
mjm325
Earning My Ears

Just off Dream... Disappointed....

I'm newer to posting here, but I post alot on cruise critic... as a Diamond (almost Plus) member of Royal Caribbean... we sail alot.

I got a great last minute Fl resident rate and decided to take my daughter on the Dream since she didn't have school.

The ship was beautiful, the service was fine, but the food was AWFUL. I had seriously high hopes from all the reviews of everyone saying how fantastic the food is etc.... I do not eat seafood, I do not eat red meat, and I rarely eat chicken. When I told my server this, he made no effort to help get me a meal that I could eat... so every night I had soup for dinner. And if your hungry late afternoon the only option is the fast-foody type stuff on the pool deck... there's only so much pizza a girl can eat . I asked on the 2nd and 3rd night if there was any type of pasta option I could have and I was told I could order off the kids menu. Really??? very dissapointing.

I'm sure we'll sail again on Disney for our daughter, buy probably not for a long time.

I feel like the menu is more for someone with an adventurous palete... if that's not to your liking there is no "safe" list to choose from. =(
Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Did you speak to the head server? From what I have seen in this forum, and from travelling with DH who has food allergies, I've found DCL is usually quite accommodating. They seem to have more problems with food for vegans.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
pacurn
Mouseketeer

Odd, I've tried the vegitarian options on the dinner menu, when nothing else appealed to me. They were right there in plain sight.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post
I'm newer to posting here, but I post alot on cruise critic... as a Diamond (almost Plus) member of Royal Caribbean... we sail alot.

I got a great last minute Fl resident rate and decided to take my daughter on the Dream since she didn't have school.

The ship was beautiful, the service was fine, but the food was AWFUL. I had seriously high hopes from all the reviews of everyone saying how fantastic the food is etc.... I do not eat seafood, I do not eat red meat, and I rarely eat chicken. When I told my server this, he made no effort to help get me a meal that I could eat... so every night I had soup for dinner. And if your hungry late afternoon the only option is the fast-foody type stuff on the pool deck... there's only so much pizza a girl can eat . I asked on the 2nd and 3rd night if there was any type of pasta option I could have and I was told I could order off the kids menu. Really??? very dissapointing.

I'm sure we'll sail again on Disney for our daughter, buy probably not for a long time.

I feel like the menu is more for someone with an adventurous palete... if that's not to your liking there is no "safe" list to choose from. =(
So what DO you eat? Every night there are appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts on the menu. There is a "light" menu with chicken on it. You can order anything without the sauce or plain. I'm sorry you were disappointed but I find it hard to believe out of a 4 course menu all you could find to eat is soup.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
sambycat
DIS Veteran

There are vegetarian and vegan options clearly marked on each menu every night in the MDRs, so even with less then helpful servers, or just not liking something, I'm not sure how there wouldn't be a non meat choice (or three) besides soup? I agree some of the fast food options might not have something that immediately jumps out at you (at the quick serve) but the vegetarian options at the buffets were impressive.

Sorry it wasn't to your liking.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

To the Original Poster. Please do not let this first experience taint your experience. People on the board are passionate. And you seem like the type of person that may be a little shy at saying something negative to someone. If you do indeed decide to travel Disney again, please ask to speak with the Head Server. They will do everything you need to make your experience the best it can be. I was not too terribly talkative the first cruise and was disappointed as well. But the second cruise I knew it was OK to speak with them and no one would get in trouble. That is what they are there for. It's not a problem at all.

Happy sailing everyone.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacurn View Post
Odd, I've tried the vegitarian options on the dinner menu, when nothing else appealed to me. They were right there in plain sight.
I'm also wondering how you missed the whole sections of the menu labeled "Vegetarian". Usually there were 5-7 main entries in that section, plus the "lighter side" section, plus the appetizers, salads, and soups. I eat very little meat and there were TONS of choices. What more did you want?

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
SeaNana
Mouseketeer

I've only sailed on the Magic and Fantasy, but never had a problem with finding items to eat. I'm not a vegetarian, but often ate that choice since I was never hungry after appetizers. I've also found just eating appetizers as small plates and skipping the entree was the way to go. The discussion has come up that people who are use to one cruise line often do not like another. No matter the reason, don't give up on DCL because of food. Where else can you dance with Goofy?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
agree with this 100% as we would always order one of the vegetarian plates every night and they were delicious...

as far as late afternoon food on the pool deck there are always several different types of wraps and flatbread sandwhiches, not all with meat (had a terrific tomato/mozzerella/pesto flatbread sandwhich) and enough fruit to feed the animals in the jungle...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

I don't understand at all. Here are some vegetarian options on each menu:

Animator's Palate:

Appetizers:

Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes - pasta purse filled with trufflec scented cheese and coated with a delicate champagne sauce

Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist - served with Parmigiano-Reggiano

Entrees

Stir-fry Vegetables on fried noodles, hearts of palm and oyster glaze

Black Bean Chipotle Cakes over corn kernels and brown rice topped with tomato-cilantro salsa

Enchanted Garden

Appetizers:

Golden and Red Beet Carpaccio - seasoned with Celtic salt and a ginger, garlic and rice wine vinaigrette

Thyme and Garlic Brioche - filled with Chanterelle, Hedgehog and Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Leek Stew in a light buttermilk cream

Entree

Pearl-Barley Cakes with Shallots, Leeks and Rosemary - over sautéed julienne of carrots, root celery and leeks in a light Saffron sauce

Glazed Portobello Mushrooms - with brown lentil and parsley sauce and sun-dried tomato cream drizzle

Royal Palace

Appetizers:

Double Baked Spinach Souffle - coated with a three cheese cream

Entree

Pan seared Tofu, Roasted Zucchini, Eggplant and Red Peppers on Israeli couscous with a lime-cilantro drop

Wild Mushroom Filled Pasta in a Vegetable Broth topped with watercress, shaved parmesan cheese and a paprika oil drizzle
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Happy100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have done this too. Very odd you didn't have vegitarian options to choose from off the menu???

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
sue
love my DVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm325 View Post

I guess if I were you, I wouldn't spend my money on a cruise, knowing that you don't like most foods. I mean really, what did you expect? There are no guarantees that all servers will bend over backwards and accommodate every guest. They to have limitations on what they can do and are at the mercy of the chefs onboard.
Disney' Big Red Boat 3/92 Contemporary 3/92, Poly Resort 12/ 01, Disney Wonder 12/01, Disney Magic 11/05, SSR and OKW 10/06, SSR 08/07 Hawaii Mauni Lani Resort 08/08, Pop Century 2009, OKW 2009, DVC member only cruise Disney Wonder 2009, DVC trade to Kauai Wyndham Shearwater 01/10, All star music resort 08/11, SSR treehouse villas and OKW 11/11, Pop Century 11/12, Disney Fantasy Western 11/12, Bay Lake and Disney Fantasy Eastern 10/14
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

And I am starving right now!! Black Truffle Purseittes !!!!
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

The OP has never been on Disney before and didn't know the other options. You all have been very helpful pointing out the other options. If the OP decides to go on another cruise she will know the route to take. You all are most helpful and she'll most likely appreciate your helpfulness into consideration when deciding on her next cruise line to take.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

We cruise June 2011 with a mostly vegan eater in our group. She did tell them before she boarded the ship that she was vegan. She got special menu with every meal. She was really shocked. I was even jealous of her choices. For breakfast they made her a egg burritto whenever she wanted. It came with eggs, cilantro, black beans and other yummy stuff. It looked so good. I always miss tortillas on the Disney cruise. I had no idea that they even had them until I saw her meals. She got a lot of things wrapped in whole wheat tortillas and I was drooling.

it is a bummer you didn't get the same experience. It too late to say what you would have done, etc... I think, since this was a huge issue for you should have said something on board. If you complain now there really isn't anything they can do for you now. I know you mentioned it to the waiter but sometimes I noticed that there can be a language and cultural barrier. So, as other mentioned the head waiter is the best person to go to solve dining room issues but you knew that since you've been on many cruises. I don't think it is different with other cruise lines. Hopefully, you'll have better luck next time.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: