Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
kittycruize
Mouseketeer

Question For those that have been to both WDW and DL-what did you think of DL?

Hi everyone,

Because we may only be able to travel this summer, we are thinking of going to DL because of the weather. Can anyone who is a major WDW fan, but has also been to DL offer up their opinions of DL to me? We are very intrigued by DL, but are just worried that we would spend all that money and be let down? Also, we are worried about earthquakes there!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
KnJ
Mouseketeer

We are huge fans of WDW and for our honeymoon we wanted to do something different, so did DL.

The nicest thing about DL is that it is all right there together. Very quick to get anywhere, just walk. Prior to visiting we thought it would be cramped and tight, but it wasnt.

It is fun to compare similar attractions between the two locations and where you like it better. In my opinion, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Tower of Terror are all better at DL. And they have rides that are only there!

My biggest complaint about DL, was the operations. For example, they tried to get everyone to walk in one direction after fireworks to exit (and it failed miserably). And multiple times we were at counter service restaurants and our person would walk away and a replacement would come back 5-10 minutes later. But this was in 2007, i am sure things have changed.

Just enjoy the magic and you will have fun.
Many Trips Prior (DH 1 time to MK only) Oct '05 Offsite WDW (First Trip with DH) Feb '06 POR WDW May '06 POF Sept '06 AKL WDW Jan '07 CSR WDW June '07 Grand Californian DL (Honeymoon) Sept '07 Beach Club WDW Sept '08 POR Feb '09 POP Sept '09 POR Oct '12 POP Oct '13 CBR Oct '14 BLT
KnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
MasonDuo
Mouseketeer

Hi there - long time WDW vet here who went to DL for the first time last month. DH and I loved it. Honestly at first I was a little put off by some of the differences but we had a great time. When I left I told DH that if I had to choose any park of all Disney parks in the US it would be DCA. Cars Land lives up to the hype and World of Color was wonderful plus there was so much to do.

Disneyland park was wonderful as it had the nostalgia and so many attractions.

I highly recommend it as a WDW vet. BTW we experienced an earthquake and we thought it was an effect in the Aladdin show. It doesn't even phase the people out there. Don't worry about that.

If you can swing it - the Disney hotels are nice. We stayed at the Grand Californian and it was beautiful. Otherwise all hotels on harbor blvd were close for walking.

Again I recommend it and we are thinking about going back next year.
MasonDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycruize View Post
Hi everyone,

Because we may only be able to travel this summer, we are thinking of going to DL because of the weather. Can anyone who is a major WDW fan, but has also been to DL offer up their opinions of DL to me? We are very intrigued by DL, but are just worried that we would spend all that money and be let down? Also, we are worried about earthquakes there!
A good friend of mine who goes to WDW several times a year and has for ages was at DL for the first time a few days ago. She was horribly disappointed. I'm planning to do the Tinkerbell Half in '14 and was trying to decide if we would just make that our week-long family Disney trip that year or make it short and go to WDW later in the year. She told me I'd barely have enough to do beyond the 2 days we're there for the race. She also said people were crabbier -- no magic. I was really disappointed to hear her review since she's such a huge Disney fan.

I haven't been to DL since '84 so what little I remember is out-of-date to say the least.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDuo View Post
Cars Land lives up to the hype and World of Color was wonderful plus there was so much to do.

If you can swing it - the Disney hotels are nice. We stayed at the Grand Californian and it was beautiful. Otherwise all hotels on harbor blvd were close for walking.
Very glad to hear that about Cars Land! My boys have been dying to see it and I was hoping it would be awesome.

How do the DL hotels compare in price to the WDW hotels?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
A good friend of mine who goes to WDW several times a year and has for ages was at DL for the first time a few days ago. She was horribly disappointed. I'm planning to do the Tinkerbell Half in '14 and was trying to decide if we would just make that our week-long family Disney trip that year or make it short and go to WDW later in the year. She told me I'd barely have enough to do beyond the 2 days we're there for the race. She also said people were crabbier -- no magic. I was really disappointed to hear her review since she's such a huge Disney fan.

I haven't been to DL since '84 so what little I remember is out-of-date to say the least.
I have heard this also from reading trip reports. Pretty sad. I would love to hit up DL, though...someday. It is just a huge trip costwise with us being on the opposite coast. Guess one day I will make it there!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I'm a California girl and grew up with Disneyland as my "home" park. Anaheim will always be #1 to me. My partner grew up in Florida and had never been to Disneyland until he took me there for our first date in 2005. Now he loves it almost as much as I do. I wouldn't call him a total convert (he might have been if they had followed through on building Westcot), but he appreciates that there is a lot that Disneyland does really, really well. It's impossible not to compare, but really try to enjoy Disneyland as its own entity. There's a lot of magic and history there. Also, California Adventure has improved by leaps and bounds since it opened. With the new additions this summer, I think it's now the third best Disney park in the USA (after Disneyland and Epcot).

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
ex007
Earning My Ears

I grew up in SoCal and, thus, have been to DL around 50x. Now live in Pittsburgh and have been to WDW 4x in the past eight years. Since I have family still in SoCal, we go to DL every year for a few days. Here's my take:

DL is the original and has considerably more charm once you are in the park. I love going back to DL for the old Fantasyland rides that are nowhere else to be found - Matterhorn, Casey Jr. RR, Storybook Canal Boats, etc. - and to relive childhood memories. Plus, Blue Bayou remains one of my favorite Disney restaurants. However, with the building of DCA, part of the charm of DL is gone. Now, DL is part of a "resort" and it feels a LOT more cramped than it used to and the elimination of the front parking lot and the anticipation of walking up to the front gates is gone completely. Also, DL paths are narrower and were not built for the crowds that now come. And we won't even discuss how awful the local hotel chains and food joints that surround DL are. That said, DL is a wonderful park and one that I believe everyone should visit to see how it started.

Finally, quit worrying about earthquakes. They are no big deal. Really. Having lived through several 6s and one 8, plus I don't remember how many 3s, 4s and 5s, they are nothing to plan your life around. Go and have fun.
ex007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

We like DL so much better than WDW. There is TONS of magic. Everything is right there...no waiting for buses. The food is excellent. The three onsite hotels are great and there are lots of very close offsite hotels as well. If you stay onsite you get the hour of early entry, which is a big deal. We think the rides are better too. My major complaint about WDW is how spread out everything is and DL eliminates this problem.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
jlh512
Johnny

I am a WDW vet here who went to DL for the first time last year. I was told not to expect the magic in DL, but those people were wrong. DL has the nostalgic factor going for it. Yes it's smaller, but having the two parks right there was great. We treated them as one park. The CMs weren't as nice i thought. We stayed at paradise pier as it was the cheapest on site hotel and we liked it. The Grand Californian looked beautiful though as we walked through it. We loved comparing the differences in the attractions and we even liked some of DLs betters. It was also nice to ride Mr. toad again. Sadly the Matterhorn was closed and cars land wasn't finished yet. I guess we will just have to go back.
'85-Offsite / '90-Contemporary / '92, '95, '99 -Offsite / '02-WDW Dolphin / '03-Rental House / '04-POP Century / '05-All Star Movies / '06-Beach Club & DCL / '07-POP Century & Boardwalk / '09-Port Orleans French Quarter / '10-Yacht Club / '11-Paradise Pier (Disneyland) & Boardwalk / '12 Pop & Beach Club / '13 Disneyland Offsite & Yacht Club / '14 Yacht Club

jlh512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
andyman8
DIS Veteran

DLR was great! It's much smaller than WDW making it much easier to get around and manage. RD and FP are still important but the PH may actually be a great value here.

I also found the dining to be better than WDW but lines for everything were much longer.

Overall, I really liked it and would indeed go back. One little note (it may sound like the they drive on the left in Britain), in DLR you insert your ticket into the FP machine with the other side (the white said with bar code) up.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Very glad to hear that about Cars Land! My boys have been dying to see it and I was hoping it would be awesome.

How do the DL hotels compare in price to the WDW hotels?
I live out by DL, so we have annual passes and we love it! We also love WDW, but both are different and I do not find people grumpier at either coast. You have nice and mean people in both places.

As for the prices, we don't have the competition for hotels that Florida does, so they are much more expensive than WDW (Paradise Pier is somewhere around $250 a night in the off season without any discounts and is the cheapest oniste), offsite is more expensive than offsite at WDW, but offsite hotels are often just as close and just as nice as onsite out here. The only difference is EMH that you get when staying onsite.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
Texashokies
Disney Dreaming

LOVE Disneyland! Fantasyland is so superior to DW. So our some of the rides like Pirates. There are very few rides that are exact duplicates between the two resorts. Disneyland has some great rides that don't exist at DW like Monsters Inc. and Roger Rabbit. Toontown is also great. The old Toontown Faire never came close to it.
Texashokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I'm a wdw vet who just had a summer trip to DL

A lot of my feelings (good and bad) have been previously mentioned

We stayed at grand Californian and had no complaints about the resort at all. It was amazing

DL and carsland were also very high on my must do list. DL is physically smaller which overall I give thumbs up to- less walking.

But if was more condensed crowds as well and slightly scary when we were told to leave NO square due to a fire drill or actual fire- never found out the deal. So tighter streets to walk through.

I also had more negative cast member experienced at DL. Enough that it did color my overall opinion of the trip. The attitudes were soooo non Disney IMO. But they are also people, so who knows? The long summer might have gotten to a few of them. Of maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

Some of the rides really are better at DL.

We are planning a big family trip next summer and I really considered DL again mostly due to the weather. But in the end we are going back to WDW because it feels more like a "get away from reality" experience to us. More resort, vacation experience where DL felt like a theme park visit if that makes sense.

Oh- whoever mentioned the operations aspect:yes!!!! The parade, fireworks, fantastic and world of color really annoyed me in the execution of the crowd controls. They close down a lot of rides during fireworks as well- mostly fantasyland. Same with WoC.

There's oodles of magic and I'd suggest a wdw loved to give DL a try. But agree that you can't compare them. Both have their perks and specialness. If you go in expecting different, you'll be ok. I'm going back in January and can't wait. I plan on doing more tours and old DL history during that trip.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I live out by DL, so we have annual passes and we love it! We also love WDW, but both are different and I do not find people grumpier at either coast. You have nice and mean people in both places.

As for the prices, we don't have the competition for hotels that Florida does, so they are much more expensive than WDW (Paradise Pier is somewhere around $250 a night in the off season without any discounts and is the cheapest oniste), offsite is more expensive than offsite at WDW, but offsite hotels are often just as close and just as nice as onsite out here. The only difference is EMH that you get when staying onsite.

I'm glad to hear this as I was pretty disappointed thinking anyplace Disney could be crabby.

I don't mind paying a little more for a nice hotel. We stay in deluxe at WDW (2 bedroom suites) but if it's not really worth staying on-site, might as well use that money to buy more souveniers!! Thanks for the info! I remember looking on-line once to try and compare and I don't think they put their rates for 2 bd suites on-line.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: