Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
cagirl4life
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!!

I used to be terrified of going upside down, but after a 6 flags trip and my parents dragging me on 1 I love them now! I only have 2 rides at DLR I will not ride. The moving buckets on the ferris wheel because it scares me like no other (I feel like were going to fly off and I know I can't but still won't do it). I also won't do Goofy's Sky School because of Mulholland Madness hurt and made me nauseous. But other than those 2 I will ride anything! My friend was terrified of ToT and I dragged her on it and now she loves it.

DL: to many times to count, last trip August 2013!
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Watchtower
Mouseketeer

LizzyS....if you plan on conquering your fear of BTMRR in February, you may be out of luck. Rumor has it that it will be closing for an extended refurb in January and be closed for most of 2013.

I'm a big E-ticket junkie....bring on the rollercoasters and TOT! The drops in POTC and Splash Mtn. are my favorite parts! The only ride I avoid is the teacups. I did them during a trip back in 1998 and felt a little queasy for about an hour afterward.
Watchtower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
fitzaboo
Mouseketeer

There is no ride at DL or DCA I won't go on. I understand the fear of drops on TOT but it is so much fun!
fitzaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
spellhex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyS View Post
I hate that also, but I LOVE water rides.

My strategy next time will be to only do them 1 day or at the end of the day so that my hair and makeup doesn't suffer!
Yeah, I usually change into workout gear and Havaiana flip flops and put my hair up. No white shirt, no jean shorts. Or, if I'm having a really good hair day and the rest of the group insists on going on a water ride, I peace out and go shopping.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
dana278
Mouseketeer

I can physically go on any ride, but I don't WANT to do the water rides for the reasons other people have said. When I go to DL it's for quick trips so I don't have time to do the prep work it takes to ride them. LOL
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
DLmama
Mouseketeer

I don't like ToT, but I have been on it 3 times. I also don't like water rides due to the getting wet part. I'm afraid I'll have to suck it up this time since DS4 will be tall enough and can't wait to ride them all.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Big Thunder Mountain-I just can't work up the bravery to go on it. I was there years ago when the death on it happened. It was fairly new then, and I remember assuring my son about how safe it was, and he rode it and said it felt like you could just fall out because there isn't enough safety restraints, and right after that is when the young man fell out of it. If it had a much better safety restraint bar or seatbelt, I would probably try it.
Not to be judgmental, but there's no legitimate reason to be fearful of safety on BTMRR. This attraction runs every day for 10-16 hours and hundreds of thousands of people ride it every year. The accident that happened a few years back had nothing to do with the safety restraints...the man didn't fall out. The train derailed and even with "better" safety restraints the passengers would have died still. Disney does everything that they can do to ensure the safety of their guests.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

I ride them all!! Not a ride in DL/DCA or all of WDW that I won't get on!!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/11/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchtower View Post
LizzyS....if you plan on conquering your fear of BTMRR in February, you may be out of luck. Rumor has it that it will be closing for an extended refurb in January and be closed for most of 2013.

I'm a big E-ticket junkie....bring on the rollercoasters and TOT! The drops in POTC and Splash Mtn. are my favorite parts! The only ride I avoid is the teacups. I did them during a trip back in 1998 and felt a little queasy for about an hour afterward.
Darn! Well, there's always next time!

More time to have anxiety about it, I guess!

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014

4th trip to Disneyland only: December 13th, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

The only ride I won't go on is ToT.

I also have a huge fear of drops - even with POTC - but over the years I have been able to work through it. I just don't want to even try with ToT though.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
razza1987
Mouseketeer

this will be my first ever trip to Disney and you wouldn't even catch me on the swinging cages even if someone offered me a million dollars. well maybe a million but certainly nothing less than that. just looking at them terrifies me

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
Not to be judgmental, but there's no legitimate reason to be fearful of safety on BTMRR. This attraction runs every day for 10-16 hours and hundreds of thousands of people ride it every year. The accident that happened a few years back had nothing to do with the safety restraints...the man didn't fall out. The train derailed and even with "better" safety restraints the passengers would have died still. Disney does everything that they can do to ensure the safety of their guests.
No worries about being judgmental--I am the first to admit I am neurotic about it! And I know it is most likely almost 100% safe. I just like the "feeling" of being more buckled in.

The train derailing was a very shocking accident and it was just by chance that we were there that day and rode it right before it happened. I know it was a terrible accident. From what I read it was partially operator error. It is probably more safer than ever since that ride, but I have a pretty intense memory about the ride.

I use to go to Six Flags (actually it was Marriots Great America then) as a teenager and did ride every ride there, just because my friends did it. I didn't enjoy it, but I did it! Now as I am older I find I can have so much fun at Disneyland despite not riding certain rides. There really is something for everyone there.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

One bit of good news on the potential BTMRR refurb is that it's rumored they just might change the restraints to be a little safer.

Personally, I've never ridden Tower of Terror because I don't like drops. (I'm not fond of the Splash Mountain one either, but I still ride.) I'm not sure if it'd make me kind of sick to ride it or not.

And I rode California Screamin' once...people on the DISboards in general often say it's a mild/smooth roller coaster. Yes, but not if you don't like drops and heights! I felt a bit weak afterwards and it took a minute to recover. I hear it is better (or at least easier) at night. My next trip is with someone who is really into thrill rides, so we MIGHT possibly ride together when the sun's gone down. Haven't decided yet. If not, she will avail herself of Single Rider at her leisure.

I've never dared to do the swinging cars of Mickey's Fun Wheel, but I'm OK with the stationary ones, so I don't feel like I "can't do" that ride.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
Sally_fan
DIS Veteran

I am afraid of the Silly Symphony Swings (always have been afraid of those swing rides) & the tea cups (rode them once & was nauseaus for hours afterwards). That's it!

1st trip to DL (with parents)~1987, 2nd trip to DL (with DH & a friend)~ August 1996-Cavalier Inn & Suites, 3rd trip to DL (with DH, DS-8 DD-5)~ May 2007-Candy Cane Inn, 4th trip to DL (with DH, DS-9, DD-7)~ Oct 2008-HoJo, 5th trip to DL (with DH, DS-10, DD-8)~ Sept 2009-HoJo, 6th trip to DL (with DH, DD-8, DS-11, MIL & FIL)~ Apr 2010-Stovall's Inn, 7th trip to DL (with DH, DS-11, DD-9, my parents & a bunch of friends too!)~ Dec 2010-HoJo, 8th trip to DL (with DH, DS-13 & DD-11)~ Oct 2012-HoJo, 9th trip to DL (with Mom & DD, DS<with school band)~ May 2014!!!
Sally_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
nana50
DIS Veteran

I get motion sick easily so I take two Bonine before I go. Saying that though, I still won't go on Space mountain any more. I want to see where I'm going to die I also don't like the big drop at splash mountain. I've done it three times, I'm over it. I love love love Thunder mountain and will go over and over. I also like Matterhorn. I do wish it wasn't so bumpy. Teacups....forget it, there isn't enough motion sickness pills in the world to get me back on those.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: