Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I've never used one but, my heart of heart feelings on them are if it keeps your kiddo safe, use it. We may be going the same route next year with our twins who will be 3.5.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
finchydee
Earning My Ears

I'll be taking my very active 16 month old dd to WDW in 10 days and I will be taking her backpack harness! She hates the stroller and will run from me in an instant. I've even tried reverse psychology on her waving to her and saying bye Ava and this little stinker will wave bye to me and keep on going! It's all about safety and I don't see the big deal personally. People like to use the "dog" comparison but we put kids in a crib (like a crate) and give them teethers ( chew toys) LOL don't worry about comments others make just do what's best for you and your baby!

Caribbean Beach May '08, Off-site March '09, Coronado Springs May '10, Art of Animation Resort October '12, Holiday Inn DTD May '13, Windsor Hills Resort May '14
finchydee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Art 1
DIS Veteran

We had control over ours and didn't need a leash for them. I feel sorry for the child when I see them on one.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Belle102498
Mouseketeer

Just a word of caution from an observer: Especially during Food and Wine Fest, when drinking is plentiful, and after parades where people are trying to mass leave the parks...People don't always notice that munchkins are there, and I have seen people walk through the "tail" of the backpack, essentially clotheslining the kiddo. One poor little guy hit his head off the sidewalk, and the adult offender didn't even stop...I just plead that you either carry, or hold your little one's hand in these cases...My heart goes out to the little ones who get hurt because others don't pay attention...It doesn't just happen with the harnesses either. I've seen them knock over strollers...Don't want to be a downer...just want the little ones to be safe and have a happy time
1990 July- Off site,1997 Nov - Swan, 1998 Oct - Swan,2003 Feb - Off site, 2005 Sept- Caribbean Beach,2007 Nov - Port Orleans Riverside,2008 Oct- Wilderness Lodge,2009 Sept- Beach Club Villas, 2011 May - DCL Bahamas, 2012 Oct - Boardwalk Villas

Belle102498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
so before I had my son
There are a lot of things that I thought I knew about parenting before actually becoming one. Then, when we had our second, I realized that everything I thought I knew about "kids" I only knew about my eldest, because almost none of it applied to him.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I would never use one. I think they are dangerous for one (the wrist kind especially) and the others just look too much like walking a pet to me. I too feel bad for the leashed child. Most of the time parent is looking elsewhere and not at the child and seems as though the parent just doesn't want to be bothered with looking after their own child.

That said - I would never say anything to someone using it - really it is none of my business what you do with your child.

I'm sure I was judged plenty - and probably still am for some of the things I do with my children. For example - if theynwant to bring "it" in the park - whatever "it" happens to be they are responsible for carrying it all day. I don't care if it is 50lbs worth of stuff in a backpack. You bring it - you carry it. Where as I bring nothing to the park so I carry nothing. Mean mom? Maybe - but our family - our rules - so I don't care what other people think.

Do what you need to and don't worry about others.

And oh boy - a bus sitting thread AND a leash thread in one weekend!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Absolutely HATE them. Never used them and never will and hate seeing kids in them.

And it doesn't mean that children need to be "strapped" in strollers or even stay in strollers all the time, And it doesn't mean kids have to walk around holding their arm up all day or even holding hands all the time. There are other ways.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
There are a lot of things that I thought I knew about parenting before actually becoming one. Then, when we had our second, I realized that everything I thought I knew about "kids" I only knew about my eldest, because almost none of it applied to him.
Completely agree!

To answer the question, I never had to use one, but I can see where some people would feel the need to.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
MolonLabe
DTOM

It is, what it is.

Some children have special needs and a tether is required.

Some children are just active and...well it is what it is.

As a father of three, I can say the vast majority of tether usage I see is lazy parents, unwilling to control their children. In such case the term leash is extremely appropriate as their "animal" runs wild causing those around them to have to deal with a wild brat causing havoc within a six foot swath and "sorry about that" being constantly uttered by a person lacking the ability or will to control their off spring.

If you choose to use such a device, you (and not the device) still need to control your child.

This post shouldn't offend any responsible parent or those who use a tether as a fail safe as opposed to a control device.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali52979 View Post
I use the word leash for lack of another word.
I see many others have suggested the word "tether." Even NASA agrees that they're sometimes necessary, as they require their astronauts to wear them so they don't drift away while outside the space station.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

I totaly understand the need for special needs kids.

For the rest, I just can't bring myself to it. I have 3 young kids, and my yougest hates the stroller. Well, I taugh her to stay around me when she is not in the stroller.

I've seen too many parents pull their kids who are on a tantrum and are flat on the ground. I don't know if you understand (I'm french, so I have a limited vocabulary), but it's an aweful sight. Plus, I think the cord is dangerous in a dense crowd.

So no, while it would sometimes be useful with my little one, I will never get there. My daughter is perfectly healthy, and perfectly capable of listening to what I say. If she is too wild, I have either the stroller or my ergo carrier, where she can calm down and be comfortable. And if she needs to let go some energy, I find some place safe where she can run wild and free for a while.

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

I'm answering the title of your question:

I feel that they make children look like a pet. Not a fan.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

When DS20 was little, he wouldn't run, but he was easily distracted (and still is, lol) and would stop to look at things, wander off toward something shiny, whatever. I bought a tether that hooked to his little belt loops or overall straps, and we used it at the mall. He actually liked it -- he knew he wouldn't get lost from me, but he didn't have to be right with me all the time. Of course, I watched him everywhere, but when there are crowds, sometimes people get between you and the child. The tether helps make sure that nobody can do that, and you just have to know when it's safe to use one -- lighter crowds --and when you have to have a tighter grip on your child -- heavier crowds. I'd rather endure the stares and opinions of others than worry about where my child was.

But I'd suggest you try it out with him before you go so he's used to it and you know how he behaves with it -- go to the mall or somewhere else where there are some crowds and distractions, and talk with him about why you're using it ("Mommy wants you to be able to look at the things you like, and walk instead of be in the stroller if you want to, but it would make Mommy very sad and scared if she didn't know where you were.So that's why we're going to use this -- only when we have to -- to keep you safe and happy.")

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

As someone who doesn't have kids, by choice, but who DOES work in a very large children's museum - I heart them. Sure there are pros and cons to them. There are also pros and cons to letting your "runner" loose in a VERY crowded area. Can they get hurt because some bozo clotheslines them? Yes. Can they get hurt running around and tripping over a curb? Yes. Can the tether be abused? Yes. Can a non-observant parent cause a child to hurt themselves b/c they aren't paying attention? Yup. Anything can happen - it depends on you and your child and what other people think is not your concern.

I do resent the they-make-your-child-look-like-a-pet arguements. I love my dog as my child and I keep him on a leash when I need to BECAUSE I love him. He goes off leash when it's safe. There is no difference. You are responsible for the safety of your child and I am responsible for the safety of my pet. How WE as the parent/owner decide to do that is our business and no one else's.

You might get dirty looks, but I wish you strength and luck! Don't worry about what other folks think!
Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Shannon12
Mouseketeer

We used one last week for my 18 month old daughter. My 2 1/2 year old son would have used one too when he was that age but by 2 1/2 learned to stay close. It was a God send for my daughter who will cry the entire time in a stroller and does not really understand yet not to run away.

I had NUMEROUS people asking me where they could get one, and not a single snide comment or sideways glance. It let her get up and walk off the energy while staying close to me and not having to hold up her sweaty little arm all day.

I love the people who say oh no not my child...well congrats, you have a perfect angel. Most people do not.

Shannon12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: