Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Thinking about a Disney Cruise...

Next August, I have a WDW trip planned for the 26-30th. I was browsing the DCL website and noticed there's a 3-night Bahamas cruise on the Dream leaving out of Port Canaveral on the 29th. So, now I'm thinking about maybe cutting the last day from my trip in order to add a cruise on. (It'll be my 4th trip in a little over a year, so it's not a big deal.)

But here's the thing... I can't spend much time in chlorinated pool water because of skin problems, I can't drink alcohol because of medications, and I don't enjoy nightclubs or spas. (My life is pretty boring.) As a result, I've spent years saying: "I never want to go on a cruise, it's like a resort you're trapped at, there's nothing to do but eat, drink, and swim," etc. But the idea of a few days rest and relaxation after a few days going commando at the parks actually sounds like it could be fun, and a big draw for me is the live theater on board I've read about. The dining does sound pretty good too. Is there anything else on the Dream that would appeal to a solo adult who's mentally about 17?

So what do you guys think? I love Disney theming and the general Disney "feel" of WDW and its resorts. Should I give cruising a shot?

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
tajz90
Mama D

We aren't big drinkers and (me, personally) I don't find DCL to be alcohol pushers. We were just on the Wonder in Alaska and didn't spend one minute in the pool. The spa, well I can't help you because nothing beats a good massage! Disney has shows that are fantastic. They play first run movies. Disney has activities all over the ship at any given moment for kids of all ages.

Plus, I promise, there's a chair for you where you can relax and hear, see, smell the beautiful sea it's our favorite part!

Three days would be a great amount of time to give it a shot....
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
dishm12/08
Obsessing Over Our Disneymoon. One Day At A Time

I say do it. We've never been on DCL, but we're looking at doing a similar thing in 2014. Although we do drink and occasionally go to nightclubs, we were on RCL Monarch for a 3 day to the Bahamas and we didn't drink or go to clubs. We did do shows however. I bring this up to say its possible to still have a good time on the ship and no drink or club. Monarch is very old do I know there's tons more to do on Dream.

I can't speak about if the pools are chlorinated on Dream as Monarch was salt water, however, you can get off the ship and go to the beach.
dishm12/08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

My personal opinion is there is not enough activities for adults to keep from being bored on DCL. You will be fine during the day, but once evening comes around you will be bored. I don't cruise to watch movies.
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Vertigo127
Mouseketeer

You might have a great time!

I would suggest looking through navigators from the past on similar itineraries to see what is available in the way of activities. It could be a great solo adventure!
Vertigo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinwithmaandpa
My personal opinion is there is not enough activities for adults to keep from being bored on DCL. You will be fine during the day, but once evening comes around you will be bored. I don't cruise to watch movies.
On the other hand, it might be nice to just chill after a few days at WDW. I find cruises extremely relaxing. I read a book, listen to the musicians, take a nap on a shady deck, etc.

But I'm a stay-at-home mom, so the idea of alone time without anyone climbing on me--that alone is worth the cost! Add in meals I don't have to cook, laundry, cleaning, entertainment, kids' clubs, and it's a deal. I can see how most of this wouldn't appeal to someone who has plenty of time on their own, though.

But I still say try it. I agree with a pp that 3 days might be perfect. You never know until you try!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

I agree with pp - look at recent Navigators and see if there's something that would keep you entertained. My personal experience with a 3 day cruise was that we were not on the boat long enough to get bored! Between dinner and the (awesome) shows, we never were really looking for things to do. The ship was so beautiful we walked around. One night we did the Detective thing, which gave us a chance to see the cute artwork.

We did not see any of the clubs, nor have time for a movie! Plus, one night will be taken up with Pirate Night. I think a 3 day cruise is the perfect way to see if cruising is for you!

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We are adults only and love DCL. Took a cruise to Alaska earlier this month and had such a great time that we will be taking another DCL cruise to the Caribbean in December. I didn't find that we were bored at all.

We don't drink and didn't swim. In the evenings we had early dining, then went off to the evening show in the Walt Disney theater and from there it was nice to just stroll the ship or head to the adult area to listen to the band or comedian. It was a great trip. Loved it so much that I have convinced other family members to go along on our next cruise!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz
We are adults only and love DCL. Took a cruise to Alaska earlier this month and had such a great time that we will be taking another DCL cruise to the Caribbean in December. I didn't find that we were bored at all.

We don't drink and didn't swim. In the evenings we had early dining, then went off to the evening show in the Walt Disney theater and from there it was nice to just stroll the ship or head to the adult area to listen to the band or comedian. It was a great trip. Loved it so much that I have convinced other family members to go along on our next cruise!
Awesome!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
SonjaLeigh
HavingFun1DayAttaTime

dcl no booze cruise fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Next August, I have a WDW trip planned for the 26-30th. I was browsing the DCL website and noticed there's a 3-night Bahamas cruise on the Dream leaving out of Port Canaveral on the 29th. So, now I'm thinking about maybe cutting the last day from my trip in order to add a cruise on. (It'll be my 4th trip in a little over a year, so it's not a big deal.)

But here's the thing... I can't spend much time in chlorinated pool water because of skin problems, I can't drink alcohol because of medications, and I don't enjoy nightclubs or spas. (My life is pretty boring.) As a result, I've spent years saying: "I never want to go on a cruise, it's like a resort you're trapped at, there's nothing to do but eat, drink, and swim," etc. But the idea of a few days rest and relaxation after a few days going commando at the parks actually sounds like it could be fun, and a big draw for me is the live theater on board I've read about. The dining does sound pretty good too. Is there anything else on the Dream that would appeal to a solo adult who's mentally about 17?

So what do you guys think? I love Disney theming and the general Disney "feel" of WDW and its resorts. Should I give cruising a shot?
oh yes u will have a fabulous time! the movies (some 3D), the crew, chillaxing on a deck chair, some shuffleboard, some trivia games, some animation drawing classes, some napkin folding fun, coffee at the cove cafe or tea if u like ... endless relaxing and fun. don't forget a picture with your favourite character!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info and encouragement, folks! I think I'll talk to my TA this week and see what we can work out. After all, you can't hate something you've never tried.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

I echo the other posters - you will have an awesome time! The Disney magic is everywhere on the ships - the shows are great - the adult only areas are lovely - have fun!
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
sunita35
Earning My Ears

We, two adults, did the 4 nights cruise.. to short!! So much to do.. and we didn't do the spa . and no alcohol for us and we aren't party people also. we did second dining. we didn't get bored! We just needed more time in the day ;-) we haven't seen the hole ship.. You really should go!! :D
sunita35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
mywifelovesdisney
Earning My Ears

i agree. I am an adult who is never bored on Disney cruises.
mywifelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: