Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
kristof65
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Do the Mickey 200--it's like a soapbox derby but the "cars" are made from veges.
I've seen you mention this several times in different threads, and my son and I will definitely be looking into doing it.

However, you keep comparing it to a soapbox derby, and I think you mean pinewood derby.

A soapbox derby is where the kids actually sit in the cars they build and drive them down a large hill. The cars were originally made from soapboxes, but these days they're usually aluminum and fiberglass

A pinewood derby is where the kids build small cars out of small blocks of pine and race them down a wooden track. Popular with cub scouts, and a favorite of me and my son.

It's a common mistake for people to call one the other, but a pet peeve of mine since I know so many different families who participate in one or the other.
kristof65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof65 View Post
I've seen you mention this several times in different threads, and my son and I will definitely be looking into doing it.

However, you keep comparing it to a soapbox derby, and I think you mean pinewood derby.

A soapbox derby is where the kids actually sit in the cars they build and drive them down a large hill. The cars were originally made from soapboxes, but these days they're usually aluminum and fiberglass

A pinewood derby is where the kids build small cars out of small blocks of pine and race them down a wooden track. Popular with cub scouts, and a favorite of me and my son.

It's a common mistake for people to call one the other, but a pet peeve of mine since I know so many different families who participate in one or the other.
You are absolutely correct, and upon hearing it, I really did know the difference....see what getting older will do to you? Obviously, I mean that it is like the activity where kids carve a car out of pine/balsa/whatever. The key to the DCL activity is that EVERY part of the vegetables you are given must be used somehow on the car--no waste or "carve away." There are awards for the fastest, most Disney, etc. An adult is required on each team due to the use of the knife.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #18
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Thanks for all the quick thoughts! We have actually already done a 3 night back in 2001. We had such a blast and said we would NEVER do that little time again. I felt like we missed out on so much stuff! What are some of the specific things we will miss out on not doing a 7 night?? If you do a 7 night do they double up on the shows? What about the specific activities for my DD8? We homeschool so amount of time is not really the problem. The price is for sure a question but if there is enough extra stuff compared with the 4 night we would for sure plan it! We are HUGE Disney people! We are AP holders to both the land & World!
there's also a character breakfast in addition to what's already been mentioned.
Have you peeked at any of the navigators that have been posted on the DIS? Just a quick scan can give you an idea of how many more activities are offered on the 7-night.

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin

there's also a character breakfast in addition to what's already been mentioned.
Have you peeked at any of the navigators that have been posted on the DIS? Just a quick scan can give you an idea of how many more activities are offered on the 7-night.
Yes there are character breakfasts, I've heard (I've not sailed them yet), on the Wonder and Magic. But there aren't on the Dream or Fantasy
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: