Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Who knows about USA internal Flights????

Hi all, Just wondering who you guys use for Internal Flights?
Who usually has the best deals?
When do you book them?
Is it like Qantas and Virgin etc where you keep checking for deals?

We used Delta last time but they can not give me my first flight from LAX to MCO ( as part of multi city flights) the only one is a RED EYE

Delta seemed the cheapest, next was Unitied then American was alot more.

We are now doing WDW in March for 14 days then 5 days NY, 2 days LV and 5 days LA. Need a multi city ticket.

Help please

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Luisa
Mouseketeer

I'm using Delta, Southwest and United on my next trip. Delta is the LA to NY part of my flight so I didn't choose them but I've heard lots if good reports. Southwest I've flown many times and always found them to be great and you can check two bags for free. Southwest and United both had the best prices and flight times for the flights I'm doing with them (even paying for baggage on United it was cheaper). For me I choose mainly by price and schedule and I always check out the airlines website rather than just rely on companies like Webjet.
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Feej
Mouseketeer

Virgin America for me. New modern planes, nice staff and helps me rack up FF points.

Will be flying them later next week between LAX and BOS. Looking forward to flying Main Cabin Select for the first time.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I've used SouthWest, United and American Airline. AA is not the cheapest but I get FF points with them and their routes seem the most direct. United is next....and Southwest is cheap; but not direct.

Lately, I tend to use a combination of AA and United internally depending on when the flights are and the amount my hip-pocket can tolerate for the direct flight $$.

I haven't flown Delta in a while.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004
We are now doing WDW in March for 14 days then 5 days NY, 2 days LV and 5 days LA. Need a multi city ticket.
No help - we are flying Delta and United, just went with cheap - but wanted to say how exciting to have another trip planned! And it sounds like a good one I'll look forward to more great Cooper videos

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Franrose
DIS Veteran

I like Virgin & Jetblue, particularly as both work with the Magic WDW transportation (what's it called? Mental block!). If you have time up your sleeve, I would sign up for their specials emails, so that you don't get caught booking tickets only to find they become hundreds of dollars cheaper the very next week like I did, lol.

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004
Hi all, Just wondering who you guys use for Internal Flights?
Who usually has the best deals?
When do you book them?
Is it like Qantas and Virgin etc where you keep checking for deals?

We used Delta last time but they can not give me my first flight from LAX to MCO ( as part of multi city flights) the only one is a RED EYE

Delta seemed the cheapest, next was Unitied then American was alot more.

Help please
Tara2004

If you are a frequent flyer or have airline status in Australia maybe worth going with the partner eg: qantas use American ..this may help with baggage, lounge access etc..

If no status and its a who is good, we have flown American mostly, and JetBlue . Found JetBlue to be very good with seating, service ,baggage etc. American ok ...American domestic carriers in general are no comparison to qantas or virgin. It's all a little bus terminal like...
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
xxpinksaltxx
Earning My Ears

Honestly we have booked with whoever was cheapest. We have booked American, delta and JetBlue for our flights in November. From reviews JetBlue sounds great (first checked bag free per passenger too) and we are pretty keen for our flight with them. Would have flown Virgin if the tickets were a bit cheaper too.

Not too keen on delta but $170 one way NYJ to LAX was pretty cheap.
xxpinksaltxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Our last trip we flew whoever was cheapest for our internal flights and had them separately ticketed.

Eg lax - jfk jet blue. Jfk - mco jet blue. Mco - las southwest. Las - lax southwest. Southwest flights we paid $10 extra for earlybird seating and signed up for their emails. They were typically 50 - 100 cheaper than united or delta or aa and gave 2 checked bags free.

We found booking separately saved us time and money over a multi city ticket and we could schedule flights at times that suited us
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

We generally go with whoever's cheapest, or has the best flight times.

However you can use a website like Booking Buddy to get an alert every time a flight gets to a certain price.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Australiankaren reccommended the website hipmunk to me.. Its a great flight aggregator that will show all flights (except southwest) and you can sort by departure time arrival time flight duration non stop price etc. Very handy when trying to work out which flights will work best
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
battymum
DIS Veteran

If you are flying internally on the same day as your international flight - I would try and get those on the one ticket -

I couldnt stand the stress of possible delays and having to make a connection. If it is all on the one ticket, if you miss your connecting flight,its their responsibility.

(Also your baggage allowance will included as per you international ticket)
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

We flew with Virgin America and Southwest. LOVED Virgin - great service, nice planes, and heaps of free entertainment and soft drinks! And were able to get points with them too. We didn't like Southwest, but it was bearable for a short flight.

I think I looked at a comparison website first, but then just used each airline's own website to book the flights. I wouldn't bother trying to get a multi-city ticket, just book each sector as you come across a good deal.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & VRBO) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
If you are flying internally on the same day as your international flight - I would try and get those on the one ticket -

I couldnt stand the stress of possible delays and having to make a connection. If it is all on the one ticket, if you miss your connecting flight,its their responsibility.

(Also your baggage allowance will included as per you international ticket)
I 2nd this
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
I 2nd this
And I 3rd it! When our QF flight got in late to LAX, we rushed to make the AA connection for our flight from LAX to Orlando (and did) but, although I would have been gutted to get to Orlando late, in the back of my mind, I felt reassured to know that, if we missed it, it was QF's responsibility to sort it out for us.

So I would never be on separate tickets with same day travel unless you had a long transit between the two flights and who wants a long transit?! Not me, that's for sure - especially at LAX
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: