Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

At POR now. Resort is beautiful. Recently finished a refurb. Boat to DTD is nice plus. About a 15 min ride and quite relaxing. We r in building 28 and about 5 min walk to food court. Food court great. Lots of choices. Also have main pool and quiet pools. Room all brand new. Double sinks wit counter top. Love it here!
yankebabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We have done it back when it was Dixie Landings.... We were CR people for many years and thought we'd try it.... Now this was many years ago and upon arriving we're greatly disappointed in the overall size and location of our rooms.... Don't let anyone kid you, if your room is in the remotest part of the property, it is a huge poke to the food court, drink station and main pool from your room...and making a run to the drink station for a refill something you won't do a lot...

We had some issues in our room, mold throughout shower, which couldn't be reckoned with and they moved us to the YC.... Nice free upgrade but that ended our stay at now POR....we have just returned from our first time stay at POFQ, which we prefer over POR just on size alone, buses first stop over POR and the compactness of the grounds...we did walk over to Riverside once for a dinner, nice walk but still could not get interested in its size...maybe you'll do better but it is spread out...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
TeamBlack
Mouseketeer

just returned Friday from a stay at riverside. be sure to try the -build your own pasta- in the food court. Very good and can feed 2 easy. Every morning we saw little brown bunnies munching on grass and a giant turtle in the river while crossing the bridge to get to the pool.
Tip: the most disapointing experience is the fishing.
July 1984
TeamBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

We love POR! We stayed in Feb 2011 and going back Feb 2013. We were located in the Magnolia Bend area just around the corner from a quite pool. It was wonderful. The walk wasn't too bad, we enjoyed the walks. This was before renovations so I can't wait to stay there in 2013. We will be in a water view room next time so I'm looking foward to that as well. We don't care if we are in mansions or AB so no requests for us. We enjoyed the food court and loved the make your on pasta. The kids loved it also. It has just enough Disney theming for us without being in your face. We love it, hope you will too.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR back in January and loved it. Which part are you staying in, Mansions or where we stayed - Alligator Bayou? Completely different themes but same beautiful location. Just fyi, I'm an early riser and on my morning run through POR and POFQ I saw plenty os wildlife and the grounds are spectatular.

I thought the food court was good, but the TS - Boatwrights wasn't impressive. The food was okay, but it didn't seem up to DisneyWorld TS standards. I'd suggest taking to boat to DTD and finding better and less $$$ food down there.

Anyhow, You've probably seen lots of people complaining that moderates have a long bus wait. I will agree with posters that refer to that as every other resorts line is shorter phenomenom -- I don't think we waited at any park, nor at POR for a bus any longer that 20 minutes and I know twice we had less than a 5 minute wait.

I think you will enjoy yourselves quite a bit, I will definitely stay at POR again.

Tom
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Por

We (me, DH & DD, then 7) stayed at POR in October of 2011, the last full week of the month. We LOVED IT. Never one single time did I think about the walk to the food court, pool or anything. It is lovely and peaceful and serene. We are returning this December and can't wait. It is large, but making a leisurely walk didn't bother us because we were always looking around at wildlife and the beautiful grounds, I guess. Unless you are spending a lot of time at your resort and not the parks, walking 5 minutes to refill your soft drink probably wouldn't be as convenient, but we didn't spend a lot of time there...only 1 down day at the pool.

We ate at Boatwrights and we had a great meal. DH said the Prime Rib was really good. My DD had her birthday button on and they fussed over her, brought out balloons and tied them to her chair - we never even asked or mentioned anything. Put a candle in her dessert and sang to her.

We stayed in the Mansions - had reserved a waterview room. We were in Acadian House near the quiet pool, 1st floor and it was super. Pretty equidistant to bus stop & food court and very quiet. We had a car, but ALWAYS, took the Bus to MK - even took the bus to MK then the Boat to Fort Wilderness for HDDR and it was always very efficient. I don't recall waiting any longer than 10 minutes. If you are going 1st thing in the am when everyone else is or leaving Wishes at night, you will have to adjust your thinking and "assume" bus waits could be longer. We just went with the flow and never had any issues.

Took the boat to DTD and that was convenient and nice to see the other resorts on the way. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for the boat, either.

The bartender at River Roost makes a killer Bloody Mary, btw, and they are so friendly and have good stories. They made my DD a virgin one and couldn't believe she drank it, hot peppers and all! I thought the CM's at POR were great & helpful as well. They printed our boarding passes and checked is in online for our return flights. Mousekeeper was awesome and sweet. DD lost a tooth and got some blood on her pillow case, she brought her icepack and made her a cute pumpkin towel animal and asked about her tooth everyday. She was sooooo sweet!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

We had our first stay at POR (in a Royal Guest Room) a couple of weeks ago. It was our first moderate and our first experience with the buses. I have a little write-up of our stay linked in my signature if you're interested.

It's a gorgeous resort. Loved the room. We didn't have a single issue with the buses or the walk -- though I think our building was quite close to the main building compared to some others, Parterre Place. The walk to/from POFQ was nice, as well. We'd happily stay there again if given the opportunity.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
elaw
DIS Veteran

I think you've made a great choice.
I've stayed at all 4 of the WDW moderate resorts and POR is my favorite. Below are some pics from our April Trip

Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

POR is my fave moderate! soooo peaceful and pretty! Love that resort. I personally dont find it a very big resort despite what others say. We stayed in Arcadian and thought the walk was fine. Not long at all. The rooms itself were gorgeous. The pool is gorgeous, and the slide is fun. I love the choices at the food court. The make-your-own-pasta is super yummy.

A bonus at POR is the bike/boat rentals onsite. Also the horse drawn carriage ride, as well as the boat to DTD (POR is the FIRST pickup). You dont know how many times we had to by-pass POFQ cause the boat was too full, or we'd only pickup two to four people. Also POR has a restaurant onsite, and yehaw Bob!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

port orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
thanks so much everyone! your posts reassured me that i made the right decision. i just love the theming of POR so much, more than the other moderates (which of course all look beautiful too!). it seems a bit more disney, to me CSR looked more like a regular resort. anyways, i wasn't too worried about the walking but some people seemed to really find it to be a big problem, so i thought i'd get some more opinions! and a few people have commented about bus wait times, but since we are going in early february i'm hoping it won't be so crazy that we ever have to wait 40 mins for a bus at 7:30 am! (which someone said they did and that seems like a slight bummer so early in the morning!)

no matter what i am sure it will be a fantastic trip. i don't know how i am ever going to wait 125 days! i am sooooo excited!
Just take a breath, you will. I just back from a two night stay and i loved it. the only thing was i forgot to inform house kepping when i wanted the room made up my miskate. I'm retunding next june and this time i will infrom them when i need the room made up have a great time. by the way i've been to wdw three times and this is the only resort that i've ever stayed. The food isn't too bad. Try the breakfast platter it was pretty good,
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest A proud Disney stock holder. A fan for life of the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks 2014 superbowl champions
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying this thread we have reservations for AB in Dec and wasn't looking fwd to the resort I was being fussy after being use to Poly and GF..

I'm now looking fwd to it!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
melissarose
Mouseketeer

bunnies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBlack View Post
just returned Friday from a stay at riverside. be sure to try the -build your own pasta- in the food court. Very good and can feed 2 easy. Every morning we saw little brown bunnies munching on grass and a giant turtle in the river while crossing the bridge to get to the pool.
Tip: the most disapointing experience is the fishing.
this is great advice, because i was going to try the fishing - my boyfriend likes to fish. i wondered if it would be boring compared to all the "real" fishing we do lol.

also i am very excited for the build your own pasta, i've seen some pictures and it looks awesome!

and seeing little bunnies every morning is the best news of all. i hope i get that lucky!!
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
We love POR! We stayed in Feb 2011 and going back Feb 2013. We were located in the Magnolia Bend area just around the corner from a quite pool. It was wonderful. The walk wasn't too bad, we enjoyed the walks. This was before renovations so I can't wait to stay there in 2013. We will be in a water view room next time so I'm looking foward to that as well. We don't care if we are in mansions or AB so no requests for us. We enjoyed the food court and loved the make your on pasta. The kids loved it also. It has just enough Disney theming for us without being in your face. We love it, hope you will too.
it's nice to hear such good experiences and i am sure i will love it too!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
We stayed at POR back in January and loved it. Which part are you staying in, Mansions or where we stayed - Alligator Bayou? Completely different themes but same beautiful location. Just fyi, I'm an early riser and on my morning run through POR and POFQ I saw plenty os wildlife and the grounds are spectatular.

I thought the food court was good, but the TS - Boatwrights wasn't impressive. The food was okay, but it didn't seem up to DisneyWorld TS standards. I'd suggest taking to boat to DTD and finding better and less $$$ food down there.

Anyhow, You've probably seen lots of people complaining that moderates have a long bus wait. I will agree with posters that refer to that as every other resorts line is shorter phenomenom -- I don't think we waited at any park, nor at POR for a bus any longer that 20 minutes and I know twice we had less than a 5 minute wait.

I think you will enjoy yourselves quite a bit, I will definitely stay at POR again.

Tom

this post made me happy! i have requested a room in AB, but who knows what we will get. i like the feel of those rooms better, but i'm easy on stuff like that so i wouldn't mind if we were put in MB.

i am so excited for the beautiful grounds and to spot some animals.

we have booked a reservation for boatwrights for the night we arrive, but i might talk to my boyfriend about changing it. i've heard a lot of people say it was "just ok". we are on the dining plan so i'm not worried about price or anything, but if i can go somewhere better at DD i will! any suggestions? we are already booked at portobello and house of blues for later in the week.

also, i'm very pleased to hear about your experience with the bus! as we are going in february i'm hoping that any wait won't be that long. 20 minutes is really not that long to me, so i don't mind. i ride the bus at home since i don't have my own car yet so i'm used to it! haha
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
We (me, DH & DD, then 7) stayed at POR in October of 2011, the last full week of the month. We LOVED IT. Never one single time did I think about the walk to the food court, pool or anything. It is lovely and peaceful and serene. We are returning this December and can't wait. It is large, but making a leisurely walk didn't bother us because we were always looking around at wildlife and the beautiful grounds, I guess. Unless you are spending a lot of time at your resort and not the parks, walking 5 minutes to refill your soft drink probably wouldn't be as convenient, but we didn't spend a lot of time there...only 1 down day at the pool.

We ate at Boatwrights and we had a great meal. DH said the Prime Rib was really good. My DD had her birthday button on and they fussed over her, brought out balloons and tied them to her chair - we never even asked or mentioned anything. Put a candle in her dessert and sang to her.

We stayed in the Mansions - had reserved a waterview room. We were in Acadian House near the quiet pool, 1st floor and it was super. Pretty equidistant to bus stop & food court and very quiet. We had a car, but ALWAYS, took the Bus to MK - even took the bus to MK then the Boat to Fort Wilderness for HDDR and it was always very efficient. I don't recall waiting any longer than 10 minutes. If you are going 1st thing in the am when everyone else is or leaving Wishes at night, you will have to adjust your thinking and "assume" bus waits could be longer. We just went with the flow and never had any issues.

Took the boat to DTD and that was convenient and nice to see the other resorts on the way. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for the boat, either.

The bartender at River Roost makes a killer Bloody Mary, btw, and they are so friendly and have good stories. They made my DD a virgin one and couldn't believe she drank it, hot peppers and all! I thought the CM's at POR were great & helpful as well. They printed our boarding passes and checked is in online for our return flights. Mousekeeper was awesome and sweet. DD lost a tooth and got some blood on her pillow case, she brought her icepack and made her a cute pumpkin towel animal and asked about her tooth everyday. She was sooooo sweet!
aww, that's really cute about the tooth! thanks for your input, i am getting REALLY excited now!

Tags
couple, por

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: