Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #3421
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

Yea, the menu change went in effect May 1.
I remember the conversations. They've been going on for a while. Just figured I'd post it. Some of the stuff looks and sounds good but other stuff doesn't.
Kat016 is offline  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #3422
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
Just found this on the Disney blog regarding the new menu options...
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...entury-resort/
no mom's night out!!! no FRIED chicken! no turkey with stuffing and mashed potatos! no shrimp lo mein!

I am rollingn in my grave and no even dead yet!!!
smidgy is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #3423
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy

no mom's night out!!! no FRIED chicken! no turkey with stuffing and mashed potatos! no shrimp lo mein!

I am rollingn in my grave and no even dead yet!!!
I would SO LOVE to post what my chef friend has said to me about the new menu but that would SO Get THEM in TROUBLE!!! ROFLOL!!!! I almost fell on the floor myself when they said some of this stuff to me. I thought they were joking but in all actuality they were serious! I still laugh when I think about it.
stitchlovestink is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #3424
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,664

the link talks about a "creative" menu. what makes them think we all want "creative"? we can walk over to AOA for that.

Pop century's entire name is Pop Century: the CLASSIC years. now I now there will never be a "Legendary" years, but please, keep with the theme... like the "classic" food.
smidgy is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #3425
Dis703
DIS Veteran
 
Dis703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860

A Few Pop Questions

Hello!

I am looking into a 4 night stay this fall for just me and my 5 year old and as we need to keep the cost of this trip low we are looking to stay at Pop. One of my major concerns about going value in general is dining options for my 5 year old. We had a very difficult time on our recent trip with locating safe foods for him. His has multiple food allergies and they are not common allergens and we were upset to find a lot more foods than expected were problems down there.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about the fridge for starters. It looks small and no apparent freezer section, but my main concern is do they work well. Our fridge at POFQ seemed to alternate between freezing and being too warm. Not sure if it was just a fluke or not, but it looks like a similar fridge to what Pop has. I wont' have a car to replace lost foods this time so just checking.

Also, any idea if we had a doctors note if we could keep some safe foods in a freezer anywhere at the resort? I know they will do this at the parks.

And last question is regarding room requests. If we wanted a room reasonably close to transportation that was NOT near a pool and preferably we didn't have to pass a pool to get to and from what area/location would be best to request? I can't swim and have no plans on using the pool, but I'm afraid if we walk by it everyday DS is going to be upset we won't be swimming.

Thanks a bunch! I look forward to reading more of this thread and learning more about Pop. Our prior stays were at POFQ and BC. Pop seemed recommended for cost as well as good transportation.

Heather
__________________
Me DH DS5 DS2 DS2

Dis703 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #3426
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!
 
PhoenixStrength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Hello!

I am looking into a 4 night stay this fall for just me and my 5 year old and as we need to keep the cost of this trip low we are looking to stay at Pop. One of my major concerns about going value in general is dining options for my 5 year old. We had a very difficult time on our recent trip with locating safe foods for him. His has multiple food allergies and they are not common allergens and we were upset to find a lot more foods than expected were problems down there.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about the fridge for starters. It looks small and no apparent freezer section, but my main concern is do they work well. Our fridge at POFQ seemed to alternate between freezing and being too warm. Not sure if it was just a fluke or not, but it looks like a similar fridge to what Pop has. I wont' have a car to replace lost foods this time so just checking.

Also, any idea if we had a doctors note if we could keep some safe foods in a freezer anywhere at the resort? I know they will do this at the parks.

And last question is regarding room requests. If we wanted a room reasonably close to transportation that was NOT near a pool and preferably we didn't have to pass a pool to get to and from what area/location would be best to request? I can't swim and have no plans on using the pool, but I'm afraid if we walk by it everyday DS is going to be upset we won't be swimming.

Thanks a bunch! I look forward to reading more of this thread and learning more about Pop. Our prior stays were at POFQ and BC. Pop seemed recommended for cost as well as good transportation.

Heather
I can help with some of this, and hopefully others can pop in with the rest.

I have stayed at POP twice since the fridges went in, both times being last year, and have never had trouble with the fridges. You may have just had a bad unit at POFQ. I've kept food and drinks in mine with no issues.

Disney recommends emailing their Special Diets unit after you book your reservation and they can help you with any needs and questions you have regarding special diets. Their email address is SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com. You can also call them at (407)824-5967. If you make any dining reservations be sure to note when you book it and ask to talk to the chef when you arrive.

I can't say 100% if they would let you use the freezer at POP, but it wouldn't hurt to ask!

To avoid passing a pool but being close to transportation I would recommend requesting a room in the 70s. There is no pool at all by either building in the 70s section, and it is very close to the bus stops. There are both standard and preferred rooms in the 70s. You can view the map here: POP Map

I hope this helps some!
__________________
Aug 97 Off Site Aug 01 Off Site Sept 08 POP Nov 10 Off Site Feb 12 POP Dec 12 POP Sept 13 CBR May 14 CBR Dec 14 CBR

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

PhoenixStrength is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3427
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer
 
DonoMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston Ma
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
It certainly has not been the case for us. I have stayed in every section except for Lady/Building 1. We've been in some sections multiple times, probably Tramp the most. Only once in the Computer building. We have wanted to try out different sections, so we haven't cared about requests other than connecting rooms. Thankfully, we have always gotten those. We all make a guessing game as to which building we'll get on a new trip. Nobody can pick the same section, and we really like it when one of the little girls 'wins'! Now that we're down to just Lady left, though, I might make that request in the near future.
Really cute & fun idea you do with your girls. Although I love the idea of it being a surprise at check in, I do dread getting located so far from the food court. Decisions, Decisions
__________________

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #3428
10_Kyle_10
DIS Veteran
 
10_Kyle_10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,589

59 Days out!

Did online check in and selected 70's & close to Transportation for the options. This will be my first time using online check in, hoping it works out!
__________________

Fort Wilderness: 1991, 1992, 1995 x 2, 2005 / Wilderness Lodge: 2000 / Caribbean Beach: 2002 / Coronado Springs: 2010 / All Star Sports: 1997 / All Star Music: 2007, 2009, 2011 / Pop Century: 2008, 2012, 2013 / Grosvenor: 2006 / Off Site: 1990
10_Kyle_10 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #3429
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

How far in advance can you do online check in?
Kat016 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #3430
mrsmickeyandson
Earning My Ears
 
mrsmickeyandson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
How far in advance can you do online check in?
60 days
mrsmickeyandson is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #3431
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer
 
DonoMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston Ma
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
I would SO LOVE to post what my chef friend has said to me about the new menu but that would SO Get THEM in TROUBLE!!! ROFLOL!!!! I almost fell on the floor myself when they said some of this stuff to me. I thought they were joking but in all actuality they were serious! I still laugh when I think about it.
Ok I know you can not get your friend in trouble. But, without mentioning his or her name. Is there anything you would advise us to stay away from? Is there anything being prepared improperly or is it very poor quality types of such & such?
__________________

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #3432
bluezy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMoose View Post
Does any one know if they try & place you in the same sections from your past History stays? I'm asking because the few times I've stayed at Pop they have placed us in the same section. (70's Building) We really like that section. I'm not sure if I should just request the same section or be surprised when I get there?? I really don't want lake view cause quite honestly. We like being close enough to the pool & main lobby/food court areas.
You could always leave it up to chance and then when you check in if you don't like the location of your room you can ask what else is available. When we checked in a PoP in 2011, I didn't like our room location -- it was practically the same room we had the previous trip (Bldg. 2 in the 50's) and it felt so far away from the food court and bus stops. We were moved to a room in Bldg. 9 of the 80's that was super close to the bus stops (using the sidewalk along the parking lot) and not too far from the food court. It wasn't the perfect location, but it worked for us. During our trip 2 weeks ago, we checked in at AoA and I didn't really like the location of our room in the Cars section -- too far from the main building and bus stops (that I had requested we be near). I asked what else was available in *any* section that was close to food and bus stops and we were able to get a room in Bldg. 10 of the Lion King section that was closer to the main building and bus stops than most of the rooms in the Nemo section and *all* of the rooms in Cars.

I think if you're flexible about your room location you should just leave it up to chance knowing there's a good possibility that you'll be able to change it when you get there if you're not happy with it. Maybe you'll be surprised and get put in a new location that you like even better than the 70's.
bluezy is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #3433
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 10,842

Question Some opinions please

Have a few questions please I have stayed at POP many times since it opened and will be going again next week for a few days Over the years have always requested and got 50's bldg I put in that request again this time so here are my questions:

1- Is there a clear advantage to doing on-line checkin ? We're local so won't even be there until late that afternoon ( have to work around feeding animal schedules yes we'll be running back & forth from our min-vacation to home several times over the course of the days but NEED a break )

2- If I DO this on-line will it mess up the request I had put in originally?

Thanks so much for all help
__________________

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3434
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmickeyandson

60 days
Ooh than I have about a month and a half until I can do online check in...that's exciting!!!!
Kat016 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #3435
KELLY
DIS Veteran
 
KELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wells,me,usa
Posts: 5,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmickeyandson View Post
60 days
Well I guess I better get to it.
__________________

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: