Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #3016
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinmc3 View Post
TOTALLY agree about the lifeguards!! We commented many times at what a great job they were doing. Like you said...constant movement and counting.
ITA! what a great bunch of kids. I say "kids" cause they look so young to me, but they are SO!!! professional! well trained.

can you imagine how hard it must be to just stare at the pool and the people in it for such a long period of time? and not get distracted?

I saw 2 separate instances this last april trip. at pop, in the bowling pin pool there was a grandma sitting near the steps onthe end nearest the food court . 2 granddaughters were in the pool. about 4 and 7. no life jackets, but the 7 year old obviously didn't need one. but the 4 year old (ages are my guesstimation) abviously did. the water came up to her chin where she was at, and she was struggling.. the grandmas was calmly teling the older girl to help the other one! the grandma didn't get in at all! a life guard dove in IMMEDIATELY and swan to the girl.. the girl was fine, but it only takes a few seconds to drown. and it's usually not with a big fanfare, usually very quietly!

if you saw your granddaughter strugging at all in the water, wouldn't you walk over and help?

then at the nemo pool at AOA, similar scenario.. parents trying to get the little one to realize whe is ok.. she was NOT ok! giving the older one(in the water) a life jacket to
give to the little one, struggling.. ok, not strugglin a LOT, but still struggling. the parents were, like, "you'r eok, just take the life jacket, you'll be fine" huh?
again lifeguard to the rescue.
what kind of "teaching moments" were these? if the life guards hadn't been there I would have jumped in in either situation!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #3017
musicmom3331
Earning My Ears

5 sleeps 'til POP!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #3018
sweetpea29488
Mouseketeer

Just had to say that we are so excited. We'll be there on Sunday!!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #3019
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

We are arriving on Sunday too! So excited to go to Disney, it has been 2 years since our last trip.

I am glad to hear about the lifeguards being extra vigilant. My kids love the pool but I get so anxious trying to watch them.

We just came home from our 11th trip, a week at Pop Century!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #3020
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
We are arriving on Sunday too! So excited to go to Disney, it has been 2 years since our last trip.

I am glad to hear about the lifeguards being extra vigilant. My kids love the pool but I get so anxious trying to watch them.
In August 2011 my nephew get kicked in the teeth in the bowling pin pool. He was crying and it was obvious he was bleeding from the mouth. The lifeguard did NOTHING. I swam over to my nephew and got him out of the water. My wife asked the lifeguard why he didn't do anything and he said "kids cry in the pool all the time and it didn't seem like he was drowning". He wasn't going to do anything but my wife insisted he call for medical help. He reluctantly did while rolling his eyes and never getting off his chair. My nephew lost one tooth, another was loose and he needed stitches in his lip.

Don't depend on the lifeguards to watch or help your kids.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #3021
sceavis
Mouseketeer

The POP is one of my favorite resorts but one of the boggiest issues I have is the Air Conditioning during the hot times i'm from New England and like my room on the cool side and never can get it at a temperature I like .Does anybody have and tips or suggestions .I brought a portable fan last time it just did not cut it.Is there anyway you can have the thermostat adjusted so it can go lower then 67? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #3022
Mikeypro
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceavis View Post
The POP is one of my favorite resorts but one of the boggiest issues I have is the Air Conditioning during the hot times i'm from New England and like my room on the cool side and never can get it at a temperature I like .Does anybody have and tips or suggestions .I brought a portable fan last time it just did not cut it.Is there anyway you can have the thermostat adjusted so it can go lower then 67? Thanks for your help!!!

The problem is the motion sensors. They don't detect motion at night and turn off the AC.

To fix it: On the thermostat push the power button and the down arrow (that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp numbers usually are. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold whether you are in it or not. This typically only works for 24 hours and then resets itself, so you need to do this daily.

"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #3023
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypro View Post
The problem is the motion sensors. They don't detect motion at night and turn off the AC.

To fix it: On the thermostat push the power button and the down arrow (that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp numbers usually are. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold whether you are in it or not. This typically only works for 24 hours and then resets itself, so you need to do this daily.
I thought they changed out the thermostats that you could override a few years ago. Do they still have them?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #3024
joanzie72
Mouseketeer

I also read somewhere, thinking this thread, get a helium balloon and a small fan and that will also do the trick. Its all about motion.
The comical DS (6)

Old 05-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #3025
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzie72 View Post
I also read somewhere, thinking this thread, get a helium balloon and a small fan and that will also do the trick. Its all about motion.
Hahahahah, I don't know about the rest of you, but seeing a helium balloon floating around at night bumping into things would give me the heebie jeebies!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #3026
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
thanks! actually, the mom's night out is still available. just not the FRIED chicken.
they also did away with the shrimp lo mein, and the chicken penne alfredo.

not sure what else. I haven't been there since the changes. we must have caugth the tail end of the "good stuff" the end of APril!

to express your disappointment:
wdw.guest.communication@disneyworld.com
But the fried chicken was the best!! It reminded me of my grandmother's! I did mention the fried chicken specifically, so *fingers crossed* maybe if enough of us say something, they'll bring back these favorites.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #3027
sceavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypro View Post

Thank you for this I will try this in September !!!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #3028
Marla1106
Mouseketeer

We have had no issues with our air except it being to cold for us. Mouse keeping keeps turning it down to 68. Lol. We turn it right up.

I will say that we noticed 3 buses for AOA for every one of ours. Lol. We just hopped on the AOA bus a few times and walked back to our room. There were times that AOA would have 2 buses at the stop at one time. Then another one would show up while we were still sitting there waiting. That said we never waited all that long for a bus. 20 min was the longest and that was leaving the parks. Most of the time when going to the parks there would be a bus every five minutes.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #3029
Mikeypro
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
I thought they changed out the thermostats that you could override a few years ago. Do they still have them?
Gosh, I hope not. Haven't stayed at POP for 3 years...guess I will find out if the override still works this September.

"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #3030
CatelynnMarie
Mouseketeer

How are the beds?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: