Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #2341
catra121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 889

Just got back from a wonderful stay at Pop April 14-19.

I did online check in 59 days before my trip. I put in requests for first floor and lake view...got both. We were put in the 60s section in room 4153. The room was quiet (that's why I requested lake view because I honestly never open the drapes when I am there to LOOK at the view...lol) and an easy walk. Room was ready when we got there and check in was a breeze.

We put the privacy thing on the door for our entire stay so no one comes in the room (we keep it tidy enough) but they left supplies on the room handle every day (extra towels, toilet paper, etc). We didn't NEED any of the supplies and so just left 4 bags of them in the corner in the room...but if we had needed them that would have been great.

Arrived to two towel animals...the little one in the window and a mickey head on the bed. I think the mousekeeper would have left us a bunch of good ones if we hadn't put the privacy thing on the door because we saw some REALLY neat ones in the windows of the rooms around us.

Room was clean and no issues with bugs or anything. On the last day as I was checking everything to make sure we didn't leave anything behind I did find a plastic package for some lip gloss and nail polish along the side of the bed. It didn't belong to me and I'm fairly sure unless my boyfriend has a fetish I do not know about that it didn't belong to him either...lol! Not a big deal...I didn't even notice it all week...but I suppose it WAS there. Really no issues with cleanliness at all though with the room or the resort in general.

Walked over to AoA one night to check it out and it was a pretty easy walk. Resort was beautiful and clean (just like Pop) and it was nice to have somewhere close by to putter around at night. Lots of benches around the lake at both resorts if you just want to sit and relax which we (my boyfriend and I) both liked.

Everyone we talked to was really friendly and nice. I had to book my boyfriend on an earlier Magical Express because he left a couple days earlier than me. They handled that very easily. The CM helping me was in training but was super friendly and her supervisor helped walk her through all the steps to change that for him. Went very smoothly and was pretty quick.

I had luggage assistance hold my bags the last morning while I went to Animal Kingdom for my last day there before my flight. Again...that went perfectly and I had zero issues. I always worry when I leave my bags because what if one goes missing or something...but it's never happened and they are always super quick and efficient.

Bus service was great. Never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus. One morning it was actually funny because I know we left our room at 8:15. We got to the bus stop for Magic Kingdom sometime after that and this guy and his family got there after us. He was complaining how he had been waiting 30 minutes for the bus...and it was 8:25. I think sometimes people's perception of time gets thrown off when they are waiting in line...especially when it's hot and humid like it is right now.

We didn't use the pool and only grabbed a couple of snacks and drinks at the food court so I can't say much about either of those things.

So...yeah...all in all another great trip and I am very happy that I chose to stay at Pop again.
__________________
Nicole

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #2342
Timsierramist
Earning My Ears
 
Timsierramist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Upland, CA (30 miles N. of Disneyland)
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post

I stayed in 60s, 4th floor, lake view room (Building 5) in December, and had no problems at all. Mattresses were just replaced a couple years ago and mine were in great shape. Paint was perfect, rooms were comfortable and I thought everything was fantastic. I definitely don't think it has gone downhill at all. I stayed at POP just before the renovations and while I wasn't disappointed at all then, it's definitely nicer now than it was a few years ago. The PP must have just had a bad experience, but that's definitely not the norm. It happens everywhere though, no resort at WDW or anywhere is perfect. It's a lot about your attitude too.
Can't agree with this more. There are some exceptions. Obviously, rooms at any hotel can be so FUBAR that they really can hurt the experience. bed bugs comes to mind. But in general, your attitude and your expectations probably mean more to the experience than anything else. If you are used to staying at Deluxe or DVC rooms for example and decide to save some gold by coming to a value resort, you may not be as content. It's been said many times before though.

Me? I am but a humble full time student on a budget whose expectations and needs are much lower and whose very first trip (and solo) to WDW is only 14 days away If im at POP, im either sleeping, taking a shower or maybe grabbing breakfast. With my trusty Premiere pass in hand, if I want to swim I'm off to Typhoon Lagoon.

For some, the 5 diamond hotel is just as important in the experience as the attraction.

Would it be safe to assume that rooms centered around or near the main building and hippy-dippy pool would be more loud and worn down than a 4th floor room in the 50's section facing hourglass lake (which is what I chose)? Will Disneyland ever get its 3rd gate? Will Ash ever evolve Pikachu!!!

Anyways...uhh...Live Long and Prosper!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
__________________




Timsierramist is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2343
harris family
Earning My Ears
 
harris family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Frankfort, Indiana
Posts: 50

What are they doing to the hippy dippy pool? says closed for refurb just wondering what kinda repairs they were are doing
13 days till our road trip !!!!yay!!!!!
__________________
harris family is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #2344
trekker93
DIS Veteran
 
trekker93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,959

Smile No problems with POP!

I have been there for many years and have not had any major problems. We love it there and prefer it over many moderates! The room has always been great (only problem one year was a lack of tissues) but we love it!! I called about the tissues and got 2 boxes from the manager.
__________________



1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Sept.2014
trekker93 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #2345
trekker93
DIS Veteran
 
trekker93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,959

Smile Does anyone else miss the Goofy jets?

Even though my children are all grown up, I thought that these were great for the kids. I know that they were unable to fix them because of the underground pipes (like the pool problem at all Stars Music) but we miss them! I would develop a new area for the kids in the shade (to prevent future skin cancer).
__________________



1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Sept.2014
trekker93 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #2346
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
thinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SC
Posts: 1,231

Question--We have reservations at Pop for this summer. When I called yesterday to get them to apply the AP discount, she said, "Yes, I see that you are scheduled for 8 nights in the Classic Years." We have stayed there once before but I don't know what she is talking about when she says Classic Years. What does that mean?
thinkerbell is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #2347
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerbell View Post
Question--We have reservations at Pop for this summer. When I called yesterday to get them to apply the AP discount, she said, "Yes, I see that you are scheduled for 8 nights in the Classic Years." We have stayed there once before but I don't know what she is talking about when she says Classic Years. What does that mean?
That is just what the entire resort is called. Initially, The current POP was to be the classic years, and across the lake was to be the second half of POP, called the legendary years. They began construction of Pop's legendary years, but they decided to stop. Those building became the LM rooms at AoA, and AoA was built instead.
smitch425 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #2348
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
thinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SC
Posts: 1,231

Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks. I had looked on maps and read the beginning of this thread and couldn't find anything about it. That confused me.
thinkerbell is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #2349
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerbell View Post
Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks. I had looked on maps and read the beginning of this thread and couldn't find anything about it. That confused me.
It can be found in post #1 a couple paragraphs under the first picture.
smitch425 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #2350
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran
 
SmallWorld71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 4,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris family View Post
What are they doing to the hippy dippy pool? says closed for refurb just wondering what kinda repairs they were are doing
13 days till our road trip !!!!yay!!!!!
I just checked out of Pop yesterday and they were working on the kiddie pool by the Hippy Dippy Pool, not the Hippy Dippy Pool itself. There was a wall around the kiddie pool. Paper in room said it was supposed to be done some time in May.
__________________
me DH DS18 DS15 DD11 Zeke Coco

SmallWorld71 is online now  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #2351
princessanj
Earning My Ears
 
princessanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post

Well, I have to say again, I respectfully disagree. The preferred are the closest. HOWEVER, there are MANY standard rooms that are ALMOST as close as preferred. And there are MANY standard rooms that are GREAT locations!!
I do find it interesting that you (and there isn't anything wrong with this...it's not meant as a dig) like the 80's/90's section. I really don't know anyone else that has stayed there and has liked it. I have spent tons of time at POP and the people I know or have talked to who stay there have despised it. I was in bldg 7 for ONE night and I can honestly say NEVER AGAIN!! It was the night from HELL!!! It was too NOISY! The people in the computer pool were noisy until 3am, and it was a group of about 40 to 50 (summertime-July), it took forever to get to the food court to refill my mug (I do have mobility issues), and there were a few other Issues that I'm not going to elaborate about. I remember that it was so bad that they comped me that night. I didn't ask for that but when I spoke with the front desk manager about all of the issues, he said we are not going to charge you for your stay last night because that sounds like it was pretty unbearable. I wasn't supposed to be there to begin with...I was supposed to be in the 50's but we were such a late arrival, some other CM gave my room away! UGH!! (I know this because this was back when special requests blocked out your room when you had medical needs. so your room was assigned when your reservation was made back then. But some CM decided to release it since it was so late in the evening! Honestly, It is one of the few times, I hope that CM did get reprimanded!! He/she had NO right to release that room! At that time only the special requests dept had the right to release those rooms. They used to put a freeze on the ressies so that they couldn't be accidentally released by other agts. I know just to make the slightest little change was a huge deal because the agt had to call special request dept to release the hold temporarily so they could update it and then they had to have the hold put back on. It was a huge production. So that CM had NO right to give my room away. I was not a NO show for several more hours.) But Luckily, the manager was able to get that issue resolved and they moved me to a more acceptable location that day. Not one of my better starting vacations at POP, but the mgt did do their best to make good on a bad situation. And as I have said before, if approached properly, I think they do a great job of fixing issues.
This is hilarious because the past three trips and this upcoming one I request the 80s 90s section and we love that area. Like a previous poster said, it's a quick walk to the buses on the sidewalk next to the parking lot, we never cut through. We find it quiet and convenient for us.
__________________
princessanj is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2352
JoshP
Earning My Ears
 
JoshP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
Just got back from a wonderful stay at Pop April 14-19.

I did online check in 59 days before my trip. I put in requests for first floor and lake view...got both. We were put in the 60s section in room 4153. The room was quiet (that's why I requested lake view because I honestly never open the drapes when I am there to LOOK at the view...lol) and an easy walk. Room was ready when we got there and check in was a breeze.

We put the privacy thing on the door for our entire stay so no one comes in the room (we keep it tidy enough) but they left supplies on the room handle every day (extra towels, toilet paper, etc). We didn't NEED any of the supplies and so just left 4 bags of them in the corner in the room...but if we had needed them that would have been great.

Arrived to two towel animals...the little one in the window and a mickey head on the bed. I think the mousekeeper would have left us a bunch of good ones if we hadn't put the privacy thing on the door because we saw some REALLY neat ones in the windows of the rooms around us.

Room was clean and no issues with bugs or anything. On the last day as I was checking everything to make sure we didn't leave anything behind I did find a plastic package for some lip gloss and nail polish along the side of the bed. It didn't belong to me and I'm fairly sure unless my boyfriend has a fetish I do not know about that it didn't belong to him either...lol! Not a big deal...I didn't even notice it all week...but I suppose it WAS there. Really no issues with cleanliness at all though with the room or the resort in general.

Walked over to AoA one night to check it out and it was a pretty easy walk. Resort was beautiful and clean (just like Pop) and it was nice to have somewhere close by to putter around at night. Lots of benches around the lake at both resorts if you just want to sit and relax which we (my boyfriend and I) both liked.

Everyone we talked to was really friendly and nice. I had to book my boyfriend on an earlier Magical Express because he left a couple days earlier than me. They handled that very easily. The CM helping me was in training but was super friendly and her supervisor helped walk her through all the steps to change that for him. Went very smoothly and was pretty quick.

I had luggage assistance hold my bags the last morning while I went to Animal Kingdom for my last day there before my flight. Again...that went perfectly and I had zero issues. I always worry when I leave my bags because what if one goes missing or something...but it's never happened and they are always super quick and efficient.

Bus service was great. Never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus. One morning it was actually funny because I know we left our room at 8:15. We got to the bus stop for Magic Kingdom sometime after that and this guy and his family got there after us. He was complaining how he had been waiting 30 minutes for the bus...and it was 8:25. I think sometimes people's perception of time gets thrown off when they are waiting in line...especially when it's hot and humid like it is right now.

We didn't use the pool and only grabbed a couple of snacks and drinks at the food court so I can't say much about either of those things.

So...yeah...all in all another great trip and I am very happy that I chose to stay at Pop again.
I love all the great reviews. Leaving in less than 2 weeks (May 3-10) and can't wait. Never stayed at Pop, but for the little time we spend in the room, it seemed to fit our needs. I do have to say that I've read a TON of pages, and it seems like the reviews are getting better. Not sure how I'm going to make it for the next 12 sleeps... So Excited!
JoshP is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #2353
jcarwash
DIS Veteran
 
jcarwash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris family View Post
What are they doing to the hippy dippy pool? says closed for refurb just wondering what kinda repairs they were are doing
13 days till our road trip !!!!yay!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
I just checked out of Pop yesterday and they were working on the kiddie pool by the Hippy Dippy Pool, not the Hippy Dippy Pool itself. There was a wall around the kiddie pool. Paper in room said it was supposed to be done some time in May.
The current WDW refurb status says: "Hippy Dippy Kiddie Pool deck surface replacement will occur" through April 26.
__________________

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #2354
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
thinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SC
Posts: 1,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
It can be found in post #1 a couple paragraphs under the first picture.
Thanks. :-) I see that now. I did read it but I guess in my mind I was looking for the current resort to be broken up into sections-- like the classic years will be buildings 1-4, or something like that. One track mind I guess.
thinkerbell is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #2355
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyBiskit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 405

I have a preferred room booked for June 10-18. When I check in, can I ask to be as close to transportation as possible? Don't know much about the layout as this is my first ever trip to WDW.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Chris
DisneyBiskit is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: