Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1996
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora

When I was on the phone to Reservations the other day, I asked if it would be possible to request a good building without it going into the paid categories, and the CM told me that it was possible to request a room in a preferred building without paying for Preferred, it just meant that you weren't guaranteed it as you would be if you'd paid. So she put down my request, here's hoping it works out! I believe the King beds are in somewhat short supply, so if I were you, I'd request it as early as possible
Well, I'm going out on a limb here but honestly I don't think it really matters when you make your request for a king room as long as it's done at least 10 days prior to check in. Because that is when rooms are assigned. So whether you ask for a king room 200 days or 20 days prior to arrival, they aren't going to assign you a room until somewhere between 3 and 10 days prior to arrival.
I think what is most important is the order in which you put your requests. If a king room is MOST important, then list it first! And keep in mind the more requests you give them, the more limiting it will make the choices of places they can put you. So they may find it near impossible to meet all of your requests, give up and just put you where there is an opening. That's probably why they only allow 2 requests if you do online checkin?? Just some thoughts for you to consider...
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #1997
tink2044
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
It's snowing here in NYC

Is it time to go to Pop yet?!? Only 45 more days
Sorry about the snow. I'm in south Louisiana and just flipped the air condition on for a litle while.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #1998
SwimBikeRun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyGal7 View Post
Thanks for your input, Janet B! Just reading what your wrote makes me feel excited at the idea of going. I think my fear is that I don't want to pay a pretty expensive fee (for us both) to get there, park tickets, food, etc., only to regret doing it and saying to ourselves, "Ugh, we could have had another day at Disney!".

Yup, we will be at Disney from 9/8 to 9/16. With ADR's scheduled, and EMH, and all, I've planned to fit in a day at Universal on Tuesday, 9/10. I figured that crowds should be low because, (a) it's September and (b) it's a weekday. Given that, if we do go, would you still recommend purchasing Universal's version of "fast pass"? Also, would you recommend their "park hopper", or could we spend the day at IoA and be satisfied?

Mears RT $38 for us both sounds nicely affordable! Better than I anticipated. Are they reliable? How early in advance should you schedule their transportation? Could we rent a car with the front desk at Disney, for cheaper than $38 for the day?

Sorry-- this is a rookie question....what is CityWalk?
We just used Mears to go to Universal. Very easy and a good experience. They were right on time and picked us up at Pop in a small van. Stopped first at SeaWorld and were at IOA way before it opened (our preference).

Pick up was just as easy but they only pick up on the :15 of the hour. We were picked up at 5:15 and it was a deluxe coach bus heading to all the Disney hotels. They couldn't drop us at DTD so we hopped off at the first hotel drop and picked up Disney transportation to DTD. Easy peasy.

We did not need the express pass. It was freezing when we were there. Lines were short. We had a lot of fun and my boys loved the thrill rides. We only did IOA. Next time I'd do a day at both parks, I think!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #1999
dollpens
Earning My Ears

First time staying on property and have a couple of questions! We have breakfast reservations at ohana @ 945am. Is their a bus we can ride there? How early should we leave to be on time? Also how do we get to DTD?
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #2000
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollpens View Post
First time staying on property and have a couple of questions! We have breakfast reservations at ohana @ 945am. Is their a bus we can ride there? How early should we leave to be on time? Also how do we get to DTD?
Thanks!
To go to Ohana that is located at polynesian resort from Pop take a bus to the magic kingdom and then transfer to the monorail (resort loop) to the poly Ohana to the right from the monorail platform entrance. To go to Downtown Disney you can take a Bus from Pop with direct service to Downtown Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #2001
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollpens
Thanks!
Buses do not run directly from one resort to another.For your breakfast at O'hana you can take the bus to the MK and from there either take the monorail to the Poly or the Ferry! Just if you take the ferry, be sure to take the RESORT ferry! I think if it were me, I would take the monorail...should be the third stop, IIRC. They say allow 90 min travel time for dining reservations which would mean 8:15. I think if you leave POP by 8:30, you should be okay. And then if you want the shortest quickest most direct route, there's always a cab. Of course, that won't be free though.
To get to DTD is easy! There is a bus that goes there Directly from POP. It is the furtherest bus stop in front of the actual hotel. During the day it will also make a stop at Typhoon Lagoon and it stops at both DTD Market Place and DTD West Side. HTH!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #2002
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Well, I'm going out on a limb here but honestly I don't think it really matters when you make your request for a king room as long as it's done at least 10 days prior to check in. Because that is when rooms are assigned. So whether you ask for a king room 200 days or 20 days prior to arrival, they aren't going to assign you a room until somewhere between 3 and 10 days prior to arrival.
I think what is most important is the order in which you put your requests. If a king room is MOST important, then list it first! And keep in mind the more requests you give them, the more limiting it will make the choices of places they can put you. So they may find it near impossible to meet all of your requests, give up and just put you where there is an opening. That's probably why they only allow 2 requests if you do online checkin?? Just some thoughts for you to consider...
Thank you for your input! I will definitely make the request when I book, but also give them a call a few days before we get there to make sure they have the request for a king bed. Really it doesn't matter which building we are in, as long as it is fairly close to the bus stops and we can get a king bed. But really I could sleep on a park bench and as long as I was in WDW I'd be pretty darn happy!!!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2003
markpenske
Earning My Ears

recent pop stay

We just got back from a 12 night stay at the Pop C.
I must say it was disappointing from the start.
To me it seems like it is starting to show its age. kinda run down in some areas. When we checked in and went to our room we opened the door to Garbage in the room, unmade beds, an overall mess. To their credit they did clean up the room later that day.
We were on the quick service dining plan. The pop century food court was horrible: Dirty, noisy, bugs and the food was bad.
We've stayed at the pop century a few times in the past and liked it. My opinion is it was really gone down hill. The quality of the employees is not what it used to be.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #2004
jjas
Mouseketeer

We stayed there for the first time a couple weeks ago just for two nights and said never again.

It was the noisiest hotel I have EVER stayed in. You can hear everything going on in every room around you. At one point it sounded like someone was going to come through the ceiling of our room - and we were on the top floor of our building so I'm not sure what that was about. Kids were running up and down the corridors and banging on doors early in the morning - and you can hear every family walking by and talking in the morning.

I also am curious who thought it was a good idea to put that picture of the tye dyed cheesecake in the elevator. That is the most indelible looking thing!!!
Me , DH , DD1 (27) , DD2 (21) , Max , Tucker , Lilly
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #2005
Ballard67
Dreaming of WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpenske View Post
We just got back from a 12 night stay at the Pop C.
I must say it was disappointing from the start.
To me it seems like it is starting to show its age. kinda run down in some areas. When we checked in and went to our room we opened the door to Garbage in the room, unmade beds, an overall mess. To their credit they did clean up the room later that day.
We were on the quick service dining plan. The pop century food court was horrible: Dirty, noisy, bugs and the food was bad.
We've stayed at the pop century a few times in the past and liked it. My opinion is it was really gone down hill. The quality of the employees is not what it used to be.
I am so sorry you had a bad stay,yes opening your room and seeing that would be discouraging. I think with any hotel everyone's experience is going to be different and yep some really bad!. I hope In the future you might try POP again, for me nothing says Disney like POP century. But I know something like that can just put a black eye on the whole stay,and then you find everything that's wrong with a hotel. POP yes has its age and down falls just like any other resort at WDW. Maybe try a another resort??, maybe you can find your Pixi dust somewhere else, the Mouse has alot of it

2012 Sept DL(off site) and MNSSHP, 2011 Sept Poly MNSSHP, 2010 Oct POP century MNSSHP and Food and wine 2010 Oct DL trip, 2009 July trip DL and WDW trip, and July 4th stay at POP, 2008 Oct trip POP century, 2007 spring break trip March POP century, 2006 March Spring break trip POP century, 2005 spring break POR, 2004 spring break trip off site(one and only time) 2003 DL trip(off site)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #2006
markpenske
Earning My Ears

I was ok with the room not being ready. It was a mistake that they gave us the room before it was cleaned. And as I mentioned they did fix it. My biggest complaint was the food court and the employees.
I dont know how to say this correctly but it seems like disney puts a certain type of worker at the value resorts that you would never see working at a deluxe resort.
We stayed at the pop century many times before, it was our yearly vacation spot. The last few years we stayed at the coronado. We thought we'd give the pop another try but dont think we'll stay there again.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2007
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When I was on the phone to Reservations the other day, I asked if it would be possible to request a good building without it going into the paid categories, and the CM told me that it was possible to request a room in a preferred building without paying for Preferred, it just meant that you weren't guaranteed it as you would be if you'd paid. So she put down my request, here's hoping it works out! I believe the King beds are in somewhat short supply, so if I were you, I'd request it as early as possible
There aren't preferred buildings, there are buildings (six of them) with preferred rooms in them. These building also have standard rooms in them. So for one example, you can book a standard room and request either building 1 or 3 in the 50's, and your room may be just steps away from a preferred rate room (or a standard pool view room, which also costs more).

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #2008
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I believe the King beds are in somewhat short supply
If I am reading the map right there are 2,880 rooms at Pop-10 building with 72 rooms on each of 4 floors.

5 of those buildings (Jukebox, Play-Doh, Mickey Phone, Walkman, Laptop) have only standard rooms and 5 (Lady, Tramp, Mogli, Big Wheel, Roger Rabbit) have accessible rooms. The standard room buildings have only 2 kings on the first 3 floors so only 6 rooms in 5 buildings = 30 standard king rooms in the entire resort.

The accessible buildings have 4 double bed accessible rooms on all 4 floors so 16 * 5 buildings = 80 total and 6 king accessible rooms on each floor so 24 * 5 = 120 total.

That leaves 2,650 standard double bed rooms.

All king rooms have connecting doors.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #2009
jbugeye22
Earning My Ears

I am here right now sitting at the pool, I have to say based on some of the reviews I was actually regretting booking here. I have a standard room In building 4 and I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. My last stay was at Coronado springs and I prefer this place. Right by the pool, clean rooms. I have heard that the rooms are tiny and I have to disagree. As first timers here we are very happy that I did not switch hotels.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #2010
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbugeye22 View Post
I am here right now sitting at the pool, I have to say based on some of the reviews I was actually regretting booking here. I have a standard room In building 4 and I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. My last stay was at Coronado springs and I prefer this place. Right by the pool, clean rooms. I have heard that the rooms are tiny and I have to disagree. As first timers here we are very happy that I did not switch hotels.
I have stayed at all levels and agree. I think the rooms being small is way over stated.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: